On grouping in MMORPGS

Discussion in 'MMORPG Games: The Realms' started by Asru, Dec 1, 2003.

1. Asru

Asru Active Member

I'd quite forgotten what it was like to be LFG for the better part of a day. I really consider this a waste of my time, I can play single player games rather than be bored getting into this group for 10 min and that group for 5 min and waiting 40 min in between these.

As it stands now, while FFXI is a great game, it's another EQ like game in that there is so much to do you will be playing it a long time. I won't be playing very much longer because there's no "Steady" or even "kinda Steady" groupage with the same people, and I can't easily hop servers looking for said people who are very rare already. I refuse to spend 30 levels LFG or soloing, and it's rapidly becoming apparent that these are the only two ways open to me.

So. If any of you TOGer RPG people ever wish to get enough people in a non-boring game to make steady and long-term groupage possible, please send me a PM or post. You can add me to your list. I will probably check out both Horizons and WoW but I'm so done with trying to see all the content in a game without a team to serve to get there.

2. Derelict

Derelict Retired Administrator

Shame to hear that mate...

There's always a place for you back in the Galaxies of Star Wars! :)

3. UberStein

UberStein Getting Started

Wow. Ya just brought those memories of, /shout "65 Wiz LFG!!!" flooding back to me. Then the group breaks up after 5 minutes or it has one or two people absolutely CLUELESS about how to play their class within a group setting making it torture to stay in the group anyway. LOL. My recollection is towards the end of my EQ tenure, I grouped almost exclusively with a few good friends (either current or former guildmates and/or RL friends), just to avoid the pickup groups with which I had completely lost my patience. =)

I feel for ya Asru. If I ever decide to MMORPG again, I will certainly let you and others in TOG know about it, as I know I'd enjoy hanging with you guys.

Uber

4. Karmajay

Karmajay Retired Advisor

Another Uber sighting.....hehe

5. Rickety

Rickety Administrator Administrator Moderator

I personally like playing in a not so experienced group. I have an absolute blast when everything is going smoothly then the tank gets a bit cocky and decides to be the puller and all hell breaks loose.

I will certainly be playing both Horizons and WoW when release (I'm on holidas till mid January when Horizons starts so I will probably join then).

The other MMORPG that has sparked my interest is D&D Online by Turbine...

6. Karmajay

Karmajay Retired Advisor

I thought Horizons was starting in Dec?

I'll have to check the website!

7. Karmajay

Karmajay Retired Advisor

According to btatests.net, as of Dec 1st, the Horizons beta is complete!

Horizons Beta Finished
    The Horizons Beta, both U.S. and European, is now finished. Thank you very much to the beta participants, and to everyone who signed up! If you didn't get a chance to participate in the beta, don't worry, Horizons will be on store shelves soon.

Also, I'm reading that this game is more PvE, then PvP.

8. UberStein

Yeah, actually the most fun I had were the nights when we had a good group in a challenging dungeon (where a wrong move by anybody got the group killed, hehe) and things would get out of hand (when the puller accidentally grabbed a few too many mobs, etc etc) and we still managed to squeak through the fight without a wipeout. Definitely an adrenaline rush when that happens. Fun!!

I guess I'm saying I prefer the challenge to come more from the actual game and area you are fighting in, rather than people in the group doing and saying dumb things =) I just enjoy a group working well together. Always loved the teamwork aspect of it. EQ definitely had its problems, but the game was fairly well balanced, and it DID require a diverse group of good players to succeed in the tougher areas. =)

Uber

(There ya go Karma! Another post!)

:lol:

9. Rickety

Horizons is ONLY PvE as far as I'm aware.

10. Asru

Asru Active Member

Heh, my absolute best fun is playing with a well oiled efficient team...and the tank gets a bit cocky and pulls something we can barely handle. I really like precision execution and expert play, stimulated by the adrenaline that comes from feeling you are about to die. Call me a powergamer, but that's what floats my boat mostly.

It's kind of fun to be in average groups at low levels, but once the mistake penalty gets real big this gets old fast.

Turbine is doing D&D online?? THAT could be interesting. Do leave a URL somewhere?

BTW a group of friends and I killed our first dragon in FF XI (you have to do this around lv 20-25 to get your rank 3 status). It was actually two mobs to fight, a dragon and an eye. The first time I tried it with some "uberl33t powergamer" he says basically "just go up and kill it". Boy was that a disaster...then he blames me for killing us all. (I tell you I reduced that child to inane gibbering after I forcibly explained how, since none of us knew about the dragon powers that tore us to shreds, we were ill prepared and it really was his fault...if he's going to blame people who already feel bad. But I digress.) The second time I hooked up with some people I knew who could play...and we killed it easily with proper planning and technique. I got the title "Dread Dragon Killer". What an ego boost. 8)

11. DocKins

DocKins Well-Known Member

Its about time D&D got into the MMORPG world. I'll definitally be watching this one. But Turbine? Hope they do a good job, I was very unimpressed with AC2.

I also prefer to be in a group of people I know who also know what they are doing. Its a huge rush when we would pull ourselves into trouble and one mistake could kill everyone, but we pull through. You can really only get those results in a group of people you know and trust.

On the other hand, I don't mind joining pick-up groups because there is a chance you will meet other people who also know what they're doing.

12. Nightlife

Nightlife Active Member

Yeah it is a bit annoying trying to get a group in FFXI. I found the best way is to make the effort and just invite everyone yourself, then when you have a group going, work out who seems to know what's going on, then make that one the leader. I have been making a few friends, but I was sick last week and during the 5+ days spent not playing, their levels went up beyond a point that I could group with. At least having access to the linkshell allows me to find more people to group with or have as back up. I have to say that Planetside was an excellent game to get groups with though.

13. Karmajay

Karmajay Retired Advisor

Hey Horizons comes out Dec 9th or 10th here in the states! I think I'll be trying it out...

14. Rickety

Don't get me wrong guys, I like an experienced group also but I found that hunting for hours doing the same thing over and over can get very tedious.

AC1 never really had any group dynamic. You didn't even need to form a group. AC2 was pretty good but there wasn't any need for real tactics. You just needed a sage or too to spam the group mana/health heals.

AO, was my first taste of real group dynamic and I really enjoyed it. Having played all character types I'd have to say the having experienced players make a huge difference in your groups success. I know I killed the entire group with a couple of fubars ... pretty funny although the group didn't really think so at the time ...

15. DocKins

DocKins Well-Known Member

I also had some really good grouping experiences in AO as well. The best groups seemed to be after level 100+ mainly because people are very wary about dangerous situations when millions of exp were at stake. Getting a group never really proved difficult either since (when I was playing) there were only two servers, so there were a lot more players.

You guys are definitally going to have to let me know how Horizons rates.

16. Asru

Asru Active Member

My how the shoft span of a few days can change things.

Just when I was about to stop playing so much, I ran into old friends from my old EQ guild (one guy in particular who used to be my constant grouping partner and best friend). Imagine my surprise when they are the same faction (Windurstian) and playing classes I can instantly mesh with. Joy! No more LFG. :D

We grouped out in the dunes the other day. Our puller was insane (as usual, you'd have to know this woman to understand) and we managed to gain 4 levels in about 8 hours of play, from lv 16 to 20. It's amazing how teamwork can turn novice players into an experienced levelling machine. Of course, everyone's used to each other's style of play...this helps a lot.

The grouping difference is like night and day. I think I might make it past 30 now. Stay tuned.

17. UberStein

Glad to hear it, Asru! Something like that can certainly make all the difference! =)

18. Janus

Janus Hope is Alive

Good to hear, Asru.

It's great to see that the "Dread Dragon Killer" is finally on the move again. 8)

19. Nightlife

Nightlife Active Member

Jeez, 4 levels. I've barely been able to get 3 hours playing time every 5 days or so lately. Haven't gotten off Level 13 in the past 2-3 weeks.

20. Smash

Smash Retired Admin

yeah the whole "/ooc 53 RNG LFG~Kei and Haste!!! PST" crap got really old. And led to the down fall. ONe of the things I've liked most about SWG is the lack of need for a group for the most part. But that is changing and it is going to start boring me. I'd love to play a D&D based rpg...whether Horizons EQ2 or D&D itself...but I will only do it with a group of experience players that are mature and on regularly...oh sheet...thats right I"m in TOG..problem solved LOL.

Well you guys lemme know how it goes. FFXI didn't float my boat from teh write up's although I'm sure its really cool. Graphics engine just didn't look up my alley. Looking forward to some of the other stuf thats coming out though!