Not Sure

Discussion in 'Destiny (Public)' started by Ancient_One, Sep 12, 2014.

1. Ancient_One

Ancient_One Console Manager Captain

I'm a console player from a long way back but having troubles with this game at present.

I guess I rely a lot on auto targeting in games I have played before which is obviously not included in this one as it would not be fair.

I'm also finding the new PS4 controllers a little annoying. I actually get a sore thumb on my left finger. Never had this with the old controllers playing 4 - 8 hours a day. Thinking it might be the beveled edge.

Due to the bad targetting I tend to take a long time to take things down due to the lack of head shots or even hits. Ammo runs dry quickly. I tend to play at a distance ie. sniper in games so my best run so far has been on the Hunter. Have tried all three but only through the second mission Hyper Drive. Got through the wizard on the third mission with a Warlock but nearly died several times.

What are other peoples experience?

2. hastarin

hastarin Active Member

NOTE: I'm playing on XBox One so there may be slight differences in the versions, and obviously there are differences in the controller. With that out of the way...

I'd be surprised if it's the bevelled edge causing the sore thumb, more likely age if you're like me. ;) The XBox has had this for ages and I'm glad the PS finally realized it's needed for extra precision. I even wrote a blog post about the controller differences of the last gen ages ago.

If you've been used to no bevelled edge it may take some retraining to get used to the finer control it allows.

As for your general difficulties it might be a combination of the rifle you're using and your look sensitivity.

Rifles may have the same damage stat but they do different damage per bullet (shown as Impact).

In general, the primary guns go in this order from highest to lowest impact, and usually the reverse for clip size:
    1. Handcannon
    2. Scout Rifle
    3. Pulse Rifle
    4. Auto Rifle

Personally I've been using the Pulse since it's often viable to get a 3 round burst into the target with the 2nd two rounds hitting the sweet spot for the kill, and recently started trying the Scout though am leaning towards switching back to the Pulse.

Early on in my console gaming life I learned that you need higher sensitivity if you want to have the sort of twitch reactions you may be used to from PC FPS gaming. I have mine at 6 in Destiny. I don't recall what the default was but it's probably half that.

I hope that helps some.

3. Ludy

Ludy Well-Known Member

There is A bit of aim assist it is just lighter than many games. I also think that certain weapons have more. Get a scout rifle and compare it to an auto rifle. What I do is not stay zoomed in as much. The aim assist seems to be mostly when you snap in from hip to aimed shots. So unless you got a bunch of Thralls right on you point near the enemy and then bring up the scope. From there it should be really close if not a head shot with the scout rifle.

On the sore finger do t know. They make little pads to go on them for cheap and maybe you can look at MadCatz or other controller. It also just might be age creeping up. It sucks but us long time gamers do get problems with hands and wrist sometimes.

4. Binary-Ninja

Binary-Ninja Well-Known Member

Default is 4 for xbox Hastarin i am using that but also new to Xbox ... I am finding it okay but i use Auto Rifle with some nice scope attachment i picked up ... and knife anything and everything that get too close

5. Mixzawa

Mixzawa Retired Captain

Using the default settings as well and doing pretty good. Still learning the crucible maps as I really enjoy the pvp side of things.

6. CaktuzJack

CaktuzJack Just Joined

If you are coming from PC FPS, it is going to take some getting used to. The biggest tip is what everybody already stated:

Turn your look sensitivity up to around 6, 7, or even 8 (mine is 8; I play FPS on PC with controllers so this is old hat for me). You want enough speed to get a bead on targets, but not too much when ADS (aiming down the sights). Finding that balance is personal preference as well as the gun being used, too.

I use the Scout Rifle because it's basically a futuristic Famas with single shot. I also love the one-shot fusion weapons and reserve those for Boss battles and/or squad commanders like Knights, Vandal Captains, etc.

I have an XB1 controller I use on PC and I also get a sore left-thumb because of pushing on the edge of the left stick instead of down on top of it. All games like Destiny, CoD and others have "push left stick to run", but the problem is most of us push against the edge and NOT directly down on the stick like they think we should since we have to move the stick to the forward position in order to move forward. Switching to the PS4 changed this though (much more comfortable) and is why I also now use it on PC as well.

7. Binary-Ninja

get a kicker of a sniper rifle and sit back and kill the bosses and captains ... used auto on docked ship boss map for the small guys and sniped the boss and captains they went down in a few head shots

8. Ancient_One

I will rephrase. I have been a console gamer for most of my life having adopted it during the Atari 2600 years.

For the most part I'm pretty good at FPS games but coming late to the PS4 I'm finding I have to get used to a few new things. The beveled edge on the thumb control being one of them. Might be just heavy handed. I prefer to rounded thumb.

Thanks for the advice guys with regards to adjusting the sensitivity might give that a try. Might reduce the amount of pressure I need to apply using my thumb.

Ammo for the sniper rifle is pretty low. Annoying to say the least but some of the advice above might be a good mix. Snipe the big guys and use a lesser weapon for the foot soldiers.

More time to play tonight and over the weekend. See how things pan out.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2014
  9. Binary-Ninja

ammo for sniper can be synthesised but you have to buy that thing from gunsmith (GREEN) attachment

10. hastarin

hastarin Active Member

I've noticed that sniper ammo tends to drop more from melee kills and headshots. There is armor that increases the amount you can carry too.

11. Drae

Drae Well-Known Member

WRT sniper ammo, it is an issue. Later on you can get armor or guns which have a perk that gives more ammo to sniper rifles. In the meantime u can have a scout rifle as your primary for when your sniper rifle runs dry.

12. Tassit

Tassit Getting Started

There is an auto target tracking thing in the game, it's mild but it's there. There also might be an option to make it more severe in the menu (don't quote me on that).

As for me as a Warlock I've died tons, mostly due to plummeting off cliffs or dumb stuff, but hey. :rolleyes:

13. Briareus

Briareus Getting Started

I've found my aiming has improved drastically after a solid week of Destiny time - I was previously a PC FPS dude only. There is 'sticky aim', where your reticle will tend to stay on whatever's in your sights, but you still need to micromanage to weak points.

Stick to the easier to aim guns, it makes things a lot simpler. Auto rifle with a large clip is basically a 'spray and pray' weapon, as is the shotgun special and machine gun heavy weapon. You can at least practice your aiming whilst still mowing things down with these guns, as they all perform drastically better when going for precision damage (except maybe the machinegun - that thing is for LOL spraying only I reckon).

I've been getting a slightly sore left thumb too, so it's not just you. Time to whip out the golf gloves? :D

14. Ancient_One

Nah it's all good now. Raised the look speed to 6 and running around with a Hand Canon/Sniper Rifle and Rocket Launcher. Loving it. My head shot count must be pretty good I think. Now I have hit level 20 everything is dropping like flies.

15. CaktuzJack

CaktuzJack Just Joined

RE: Sore Left Thumb...

I have fond my soreness has drastically reduced since switching exclusively to the DS4 (Playstation 4) controller versus the Xbox One/360 controller, for both the PS4 and the PC.

The thumb sticks are both next to each other... Like our thumbs are when we place our hands close together naturally... And I think this is a big factor why the Xbox controllers fatigue thumbs a lot faster since the Xbox thumb sticks are not parallel with each other?

You also need to take a five minute break from gaming. This goes for our aging eyes, too :p

Just get up, walk around the house for a couple of minutes, shake your hands out and focus your eyes on something other than a monitor/TV screen and then you'll be ready to go for another hour or so.

The hardest part about doing any physical activity when you get older is stamina and recovery. So, make sure to watch those two things and just STOP when your thumbs start to feel sore, or your vision gets blurred, etc.

16. Ancient_One

but but.......you could get an engram in that time or a few. Score some Marks in an event. I can't stop for 5min.....no no no no no. :D

17. rubicon

rubicon Retired Captain

Last edited: Sep 24, 2014
  18. Ancient_One

I like my sniper rifle but I tend to use the Handcannon a lot more. Can't wait to get a Legendary in that. Still running around with a green as no Rare has dropped for me yet.

19. DataShade

DataShade Getting Started

Too bad we can't trade items or have a shared clan vault, I have one that I like and I keep scrapping the other blue handcannons that I get.

(Well, I level them up enough to unlock all the 'free' [glimmer-only] upgrades, then I dismantle them, since you get extra weapon parts the more they're upgraded.)

20. Ancient_One

Where are you getting them mate. Is it the fact I'm staying on Earth for Events causing me to miss out on better engrams?