Non-Flame console war opinions

Discussion in 'Console Talk (Public)' started by Shazoo, Aug 26, 2014.

1. Shazoo

Shazoo Getting Started

Hey guys, between my brother in law and myself, I've got both the PS4 and Xbox One, and I'm completely baffled as to why the PS4 is more popular then the XBO. Without any bashing is there a legit reason why more TOG'ers are going PS4? Is that the reason also that there's almost 50 pages on the destiny PS4 thread as opposed to the XBO thread? which didn't even exist until I started it, to see what interest there was here. I'm just sincerely curious, and I'm tired of searching google for "Why is ps4 more popular" and coming up with 50% this and 50% that articles. :D

2. Chief

Chief Retired Captain

There's barely any difference between the two right now except with the PS4 being more powerful it means multiplats generally run a bit better.

Personally PS4 has more exclusives I'm interested in as well. I also like the range of free to play stuff they're going to have on offer, most of which is on PC but some of them don't run too well on mine.

Price was probably a factor as well. At launch Xbox one was more expensive for weaker hardware because of Kinect. If you just wanted to play games with a controller then PS4 offered a better deal because it was more powerful hardware for less money. Prices have changed a bit though as well as bundles and stuff being offered so they're a bit more in line now.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2014
  3. Topfuel

Topfuel Well-Known Member

I have an Xbox One and a Xbox 360, I was never keen on PS1 or PS2 I did buy a PS3 for Blu rays and Uncharted 2 was the only game I purchased, the other playstation games I have are from PS+, I prefer the xbox controller and the UI to be honest.

I recently joined the Xboxworld community maybe some tog members are using that instead for Xbox talk.

I may be wrong but the people I knew that had sega consoles bought playstation consoles, I was a nintendo console player when microsoft released the original xbox that is what I upgraded to.

4. xenoph

xenoph Retired Captain

A lot of people also automatically (I can't say for those in here, of course) went for PS instead of Xbox due to what was viewed as bad decisions from MS regarding always-online and all that (which, to be honest, was a lot of skewed viewpoints and misunderstandings, but lets not go there again).

Personally, when I have the chance, I'll get both. Why miss out on exclusives on one platform just because of console-bias.

5. Thymos

Thymos Retired Captain

The fact that Microsoft let the misunderstandings sit for a while was bad for them. I'll get both eventually too, but I'll start with PS4, because they have more exclusives that I like. Like The Last of Us, Uncharted, Infamous. However, the BIGGEST reason is the remote play on my Vita anywhere in the household.

6. Chief

Chief Retired Captain

I have to admit, this is pretty cool. If I wake up at 3 in the morning I can stay cozy in bed and have a quick game of something until I fall asleep again without waking anyone up.

7. rubicon

rubicon Retired Captain

Better exclusives on PS4 that interested me more - The Last of Us, No Man's Sky, and Little Big Planet in particular. I enjoyed the first three Halo games, but 4 was a bit meh. Destiny's where it's at anyway. :)

8. Shazoo

Shazoo Getting Started

I was curious about that, i don't have a vita, but can you use the vita's screen and a PS4 controller to play via remote play? (i know the vita has a built in controller but the ps4 controller is more comfortable / natural)

Edit: appears the XBO isn't doing as bad as I thought in the console race in the US per vgchartz.
    I know its a different story outside the US, especially since the PS4 launched in more countries then the XBO, but I thought it was a 2 to 1 sales ratio here when it's actually less then 25% difference.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2014
  9. Ancient_One

Ancient_One Console Manager Captain

For our family we had the PS2 so went with the PS3 because of the backward compatibility which was to a degree withdrawn or modified due to a chip removal before launch in Australia. We basically became Sony fanboys and have just kept with the trend.

Have a several PS3's, PS4's, TV's, Phones a Blu Ray system and a PS2.

For the record we still have and love a Nintendo 64 console.

10. Purg

Purg Well-Known Member

I have no bias either way, have a PS3 and a 360.

There seemed to be an inference that if you were focused mainly on gaming, the PS4 was the way to go and if you wanted an 'entertainment hub that played most AAA games' then the XB1 was the better option.

I chose the XB1 because of XBLive - multiplayer *appears* to be better organised on the XB1 but then so it should since it's a pay service. Also due to the entertainment hub aspect which hasn't been fully realised in AU, unfortunately.

At some time down the track I will probably pick up a PS4. It'll probably occur when there's a must have exclusive bundle offered. It's mostly apathy that has stopped me getting one at the moment, end of the day, either console is a great choice.

11. Tachyon

Tachyon Well-Known Member

I can't understand either. I've got five boys from 3 to 20 and they are all about PC gaming. I mistakenly bought them consoles they rarely use. I won't do it again!

12. Shazoo

Shazoo Getting Started

I found this video to be hilarious and thought I'd share with you all. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VfFU9u3XXww If you dont watch the whole thing, at least skip to 8:05 mark and watch the next 15-20 seconds. :p

13. Chief

Chief Retired Captain

what the hell is with that little kid's eyebrows

14. Topfuel

Topfuel Well-Known Member

Hes evil:twisted:

15. jonny2combz

jonny2combz Well-Known Member

Weaker hardware? Not quite lol. They both have there good points and bad. If I had the money I wouod get both. I have been with Xbox live from the start and have loved the service, so for me it was a no brainer.
    Even Sony admitted they couldnt survive without a paid subscrition service.

16. Chief

Chief Retired Captain

It's pretty well known fact that PS4 is more powerful by a reasonable margin, even with the update that allows the memory reserved for kinect to be used.

[​IMG]

It means PS4 multiplats look and run a bit better and since there's barely any exclusives right now it makes sense that a more powerful console with a cheaper price point would sell better.

PS4 vs. Xbox One Native Resolutions and Framerates - Xbox One Wiki Guide - IGN

17. Shazoo

Shazoo Getting Started

You're only comparing the consoles hardware, and not their software and infrastructure, the Xbox one has the azure cloud, which if implemented right during the consoles life cycle can do some amazing things with games. More powerful doesn't necessarily mean the console will win the wars either, look at the PS3 with it's cell processor compared to the 360's constantly overheating/unseating processor.

18. Thymos

Thymos Retired Captain

Speculation about something isn't substantial. Just because something can be done, doesn't mean Microsoft will do it right. The DDR3 RAM is a huge limiting factor.

Another thing not listed from that image is the Remote Play with a PS Vita.

I also wonder how many 360 purchases were to replace broken ones that were no longer covered by the warranty. I had a friend that went through 4 of them, and used them as legs to make a coffee table with a piece of glass.

I also question his commitment to Microsoft, but he also had a PS3, but never had to replace it. So, I guess Sony lost some sales numbers there for making a quality piece of hardware.

Xbox One Japan release has worst launch of any console in recent years

Last edited: Sep 11, 2014
  19. Shazoo

Shazoo Getting Started

That just goes to show you the impact the 360 had with console gaming. It set the standard for online play, downloadable games you could purchase on demand, dedicated server side online infrastructure, among a ton of other features we see as the norm today. It may have been a disaster to launch in japan, but that's just because its an American console with emphasis on FPS, in a proud country where more players enjoy RPGs and japanese consoles. TBH I think if Sony never released another console, PS2/3/4's would sell still better in japan in 2050 then any other console. :p

It just stinks that the XBO didn't follow the same favor suit that the 360 did with popularity. It's an awesome console with a ton of features that you end up taking forgranted until you play something else. Like the ability to turn the TV power off when the console powers off. :D

20. Thymos

Thymos Retired Captain

I don't mind using the TV remote to turn the TV off, or even getting up and walking to it.

Most of the time people defend the universality of the XBone, but that's all. It seems like everyone is trying to make their devices universal. A streaming device that does everything, a cable or satellite device that does everything, gaming consoles that do everything and even smart TVs that do everything.

The 360 was great for setting the online standard. Microsoft showed that it could be done on consoles. That's all. They also showed they have hardware troubles. I'm waiting for the 1 year mark to go by and see how well the Xbones hold together.