New valve game - Alien Swarm

Discussion in 'Digital Distribution & Mobile Game Applications' started by Aldmw, Jul 17, 2010.

1. Drac

Drac Squad Officer

The "Load before lobby" is strange I admit, but that could just be a tech test for a number of different things. Perhaps valve have level streaming in the works and thus need to start putting lobbies in game ect ect. Hard to tell...

2. Unknown

Unknown Retired Captain

The title/name for the music track used by the game is the name of the file rather than the title of the track from the ID3 tags; also if the tags contain quotes (or perhaps other "odd" characters) then when you first add the music everything (meta tag-wise) will appear to be read fine, but from that point on the meta data for those tracks will not be displayed.

Both of these can be fixed by directly editing the playlist file:

Code:
    ...\alien swarm\swarm\scripts\jukebox_playlist.txt
    Also learnt that Alien Swarm doesn't appear to load/obey any "userconfig.cfg" file as earlier Source engine games do (as a means of protecting your "config.cfg").

3. pepepiks

pepepiks Just Joined

hey guys, I've been playing this game for couple of days, and I must say I am amazed. I was always a fan of Alien Breed back in the Amiga days, and then the Shadowgrounds came, and I was blown away, but at that time I always wanted to see a coop in multiplayer.
    As I recall Shadowgrounds had coop, but on single computer. Then the Team17 announced Alien Breed sequel, but this Valve Alien Swarm thingy just made sure that Team17 doesn't get many copies sold. Kinda too bad for Alien Breed.

What do you guys think, what kind of mod would be fun to have on Alien Swarm? I've seen some Deathmatch mod in development, might be interesting.

4. Unknown

Unknown Retired Captain

Turns out an engine update has removed support for this from pretty much all Valve Source games (despite a Steam Support article recommending its use). Oh well...

5. Vulcan21

Vulcan21 Well-Known Member

I'm disappointed with the game. I haven't been able to join a match since the release due to all the servers either being full, or me giving up with the tedious wait while spectating prior to joining.
    I'm off to play something else.

6. Jigoku

Jigoku Retired Captain

Vulcan21 likes this.
  7. Vulcan21

Vulcan21 Well-Known Member

Thanks for that, I'll give those a try.:)

8. impulse

impulse Active Member

I used to play a mod called Thievery which was developed by the same team that developed the Alien Swarm mod.

They produce quality games and Alien Swarm is no exception! You can check out their forums at Black Cat Games

9. Powello

Powello Active Member

Vulcan - also just join ones in "briefing" not "in game". waiting for them to finish sux. briefing means they're getting ready to roll ;) never played on a proper server, and also never had a prob getting in game... ;)

10. Avoozl

Avoozl Well-Known Member

Another option is to invite some of your steam TOG buddies to come play. Hint, hint ;-)

11. crowtree

crowtree Retired Captain

Have played a couple of hours of this game now and am really enjoying it and so are my boys. We all played together on the weekend and had a great laugh, particularly when we formed a 3 man firing squad and executed the Tech when he refused to access the flight data. I can see that after reaching a reasonable level the longevity of the game will depend on the community maps and mods.

12. Tokari

Tokari Getting Started

It does get pretty manic at times but still very enjoyable.

13. Bort

Bort Well-Known Member

Hey Avoozl - saw you in the game yesterday - surprised us (we were playing it at a lan). We probably looked like noobs (ok, we are noobs), it was our first play of the game, took a while to even find the chat.

Good fun game, not as mindless as I thought it was going to be, you have to pay attention. And attention can go out the window the first time you equip flamethrowers.

Avoozl likes this.
  14. Avoozl

Avoozl Well-Known Member

Haha. Basically, if I'm in the mood for a game I go through my friends and the member lists of the steam groups I'm in and try to join their games. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. I've been kicked a few times for no apparent reason and sometimes the game rooms are full once it loads. *shrug* Still seems like a decent method to me.

15. Carm

Carm Well-Known Member

I added ya to my steam Avoozl if you see me about and feel like a game I'm up for one usually .....I'm pretty crap tho I must warn you haha:eek:..... I'm Aussiesheila on steam

16. Snott

Snott Well-Known Member

Ah hah! I wondered who that was adding me :D

17. rokaan

rokaan Active Member

There be aliens

It is not all that often you get a quality game for nothing.

I just d/l alien swarm today and was impressed, I played alien breed back on the amiga 500 and unfortunately the disks do not work anymore :(, a real shame as it was a good game.

I do not often log on to steam online so I was behind the eightball when this came out.

I hope people keep up the good work with the mods etc.

--------------------------------------
    Guild Wars:
    Arack the Bold W/R 20 : DP
    The Sandgroper N/E 20 : SS

Games currently playing: (PC) Bioshock 2,Aliens vs predator, stalker: COP,BF:BC2 (PS3) Darksiders,Bayonetta, FF XIII, Wet, Just cause 2.

18. Blazia

Blazia Active Member

I've been playing this game for a few days now and I'm really enjoying it!! How to hook up with fellow TOGgies on Steam?

19. Carm

Carm Well-Known Member

Add us on your steam friends list or come to Team Speak there's a few of us that use the BF2142 Powder Room :D

20. vger555

vger555 Guest

So far this is my only Steam game, because it is free :lol:

Though for some odd reason when I play this game sometimes I feel motion sick, first time I've had this problem with a game. However, I'll keep trying it.