[DONE] New Member Application (Racing games mostly)

Discussion in 'The Barracks' started by IrishStevo, Oct 17, 2020 at 12:37 PM.

1. IrishStevo

IrishStevo Getting Started

Hey Everyone!

I'd like to apply for membership.

I'm 46, originally from Ireland (Northern Ireland specifically) and now living in the San Francisco East Bay. I've worked in software development all of my career and currently taking a crack at indie video game development. I've been a gamer pretty much my whole life, starting with Frogger on a BBC Micro Model B.

My favorite genres of game include racing, simulation, base building and RPG, but I'll play pretty much any game that catches my attention. I've been playing a lot of Forza Horizon 4, F1 2019/2020 and MS Flight Simulator recently. Most of the time I'm on PC but have all the consoles which get dusted off occasionally.

I'm looking to join TOG to find a group of chilled out gamers to hang out and play games with. If there was a racing league on the go that I could join in on that would be awesome. I'm also more than happy to organize that sort of thing as well.

Shrubbo, CAMMO and Rukus308 like this.
  2. Gilderan

Gilderan Goat Herder Staff Member Moderator

Hi there and welcome.

Congratulations! You have passed our stringent don't die before 25 application requirement and have made it into TOG.

Keep in mind there is more here than the division for that awesome game you have signed up for. There are other flaky games which all have their own division and other things of wonder, joy and wtf.

Public Forums (Philistines only or less then 25. Same thing)
    Member Forums (General chat, cat videos, VR, laboratories, Steam and Discord invites)
    Member News (If you have a mind like mine you just laughed)
    Simulation and Sports Divisions (This is for simulation and sports games!)
    Strategy, RPG and other Games (This is for err... Strategy, RPG and other Games)
    FPS (Brutal and horrific death. Lots of fun!)
    MMORPG (Also brutal and horrific death but sometimes ponies)
    Operations (The name you picked is stupid and you want to change it? Policies and stuff)

:D

3. Gilderan

Gilderan Goat Herder Staff Member Moderator

Hi IrishStevo,

Welcome to TOG mate, you will find what you are looking for I think. The TOG community are very chilled out and cover a fair chunk of the spectrum of gaming.

For me, I started gaming BC (before computers) by creating my own board games as a youngster (we did not have alot of money) and like you have been a gamer ever since!

Also take a look at the Discord registration thread where alot of discussion and voice comms are hosted.

Welcome again mate o7

Shrubbo, CAMMO and Rukus308 like this.
  4. IrishStevo

Thanks Gilderan! I was never that creative unfortunately. However, as soon as I got my first computer and had to type in the code for the games, it kick started a lifelong passion for both coding and video games.

I'll definitely check out the discord thread and the rest of the forums.

Shrubbo, CAMMO, Rukus308 and 2 others like this.
  5. Monty

Monty Phoenix Staff Member Moderator

Hi IrishStevo and welcome to the TOG family. :D

AH! The BBC Model B. That was my last machine I had before I moved on to building PC's. I remember having some EPROMS and a burner to make loading game almost instant. Fun times at the local computer club with the new members thinking their machine could load games faster than mine.

Last edited: Oct 17, 2020 at 6:22 PM
  6. IrishStevo

Thanks Monty! It's good to see another BBC Micro gamer! I never got in to the EPROM side of things. For me it was mostly typing in code for games from magazines, finding out it didn't work because they had a typo, and then trying to figure out what was wrong.

7. Rukus308

Rukus308 Code Monkey Staff Member Moderator

Welcome aboard @IrishStevo :D "indie video game development" nice one, any perticular genre your working on? I suffer from starting a project, learning something and realising I'd need X amount of time to try finish it off properly at which point I normally move on to something else lol, tragic I know.

Shrubbo, Monty, CAMMO and 1 other person like this.
  8. IrishStevo

Thanks Rukus! It's shaping up to be a base building game with RPG elements. And I know exactly what you mean. I've found if I can get passed that initial hump at the beginning of a project and get some basic gameplay/functionality working end to end then I start to get more excited about it and can usually keep going. But that's easier said than done :)

Shrubbo, Monty, Rukus308 and 2 others like this.