My nightmare plan

Discussion in 'Warframe (Public)' started by FRIENDLYUNIT, Aug 6, 2014.

1. FRIENDLYUNIT

FRIENDLYUNIT Well-Known Member

Believe it not I only just tried out nightmare mode for the first time this week. My findings: yes, actually quite difficult. Admittedly I went in with Loki, which was pretty stupid but I wasn't expecting one shot kills.

How do some of you veteran players go at it?

My current plan is to get a duration extended Loki with a Shade and try to sneak my way through a capture mission. Though I'm worried about my ability to take down the target! I might be able to melee him otherwise if he stands still I might be able to get him from a safe spot with my Paris. Anyone else up for a stealth mission?

2. BlackIce

BlackIce Guardian Captain

First thing to realise, is that Nightmare missions have random effects running.
    Off the top of my head, some of the things that you might face, is zero shields, zero power (with a drain constantly running incase you pick up a power orb), vampire mode (continual health drain, regenerated by killing enemies), zero mini map (I think they might have removed this one due to universal dislike....you couldnt even find the exit some times), low gravity (probably one of the least debilitating), and many others I can't recall.

Each time you launch a Nightmare mission, you get two of these effects. I personally hate zero power, and zero shields is also very high on my dislike list. If you were being single shotted, then you were probably in a zero shield mission. Some frames, have a high reliance on their shields and very little health. Loki is one of these I think, but its not a particularly durable frame any time.

Nightmare missions are pretty unforgiving solo. I prefer running them as a duo, just to provide the revives if nothing else.
    Strong weapons are key. You don't want to be having to consume lots of time or ammo killing enemies. My Soma for example, has 100 rounds in the clip (more if modified), a high rate of fire, and will kill most enemies in 2-3 rounds. Thats a lot of firepower and no time wasted in reloading.

Make sure you are running the nightmare mission on a level that is appropriate for your gear and frame. The rewards (dual mods) are the same from a low level nightmare as a high level one, so try to find one closer to the center of the solar system, that has a mission objective type you like. Then when you launch it, immediately check what type of variation the mission has rolled.
    Low gravity, vampire? Perfect. Should be a cakewalk.
    No shields, no Power? um, catch you at the lobby, I am restarting that one.

3. roob

roob Retired Captain

Sometime back they changed nightmare modes so that the enemy are significantly increased in level and damage.

I get consistant lvl 30 enemies on even the lowest planets and they pack a punch. You really can't just stand out in the open and take it without some form of mitigation, CC or survival power.

The maps can also have more dangerous types of enemies than the normal modes (elite type units etc.).

some of the challenges listed on the wiki:

I used to cycle through challenges with my trinity and do exterminate maps. Go slow and pick off what you could and stay alive.

Vampire, timer, low grav are stuff I like to run with. No shields can be ok on exterminates if you have a tough survival frame.

Power drain and higher damaging enemies are really tough challenges.

As mentioned above, bring friends as it makes it a lot easier and more fun ;)

4. FRIENDLYUNIT

Yeah it was no shields a couple of times in a row. I noticed a low gravity on one but didn't see anything else on the other. It may have been high level enemies.

Thanks for the info guys.

Heh. Some of these look very manageable! Eg ammo or reloads if you have a melee build. Explosive barrels could even be an asset.

Might take a look at these again tonight or tomorrow and try my luck.

5. roob

roob Retired Captain

There's some very good nightmare mods, I keep meaning to do more of them but I always get sidetracked.

6. FRIENDLYUNIT

Eponymous ended up assisting me with one of these, a Corpus Spy mission.

I just rolled with what we got, which was no shields and mega damage, which translated to something like Ninja Touch Football.

Not surprisingly it was no walk in the park but it was doable with the two of us. Basically it was an exchange of a couple of revives on my Loki for a nightmare mod.

And this was just going with the first thing that came up. Next time I might try a couple of restarts to get something more favourable.

It was a pretty intense run and I'd do it again for sure.