MMORPG Gameplay

Discussion in 'MMORPG Games: The Realms' started by Rickety, Mar 10, 2003.

1. Rickety

Rickety Administrator Administrator Moderator

So you want to know what playing a MMORPG is actually like before you delve?

The best example is NWN. If you have played this game in multiplayer mode (especially in a consistent world module) then you'll have a good idea of what gameplay is like.

Let me try and break up the different kind of styles present in most of the game today (the ones I have tried anyway).

A consistent world

When you log into a consistent world, everything around you will still be there when you log out (generally speaking). IF you are standing next to a dungeon entrance when you log out, the next time you log back in, that's where you will appear. Not at the same time though as the game world has an entire day/night life cycle which will continue even when you are not in the game. Literally, if you had the time, you could play a MMORPG 24 hours a day, everyday.

Your Character

This is probably one of the most important factors in a MMORPG. Your character development plays an important factor in how 'fun' a game will be. By way of example, if we compare Dungeon Siege with NWN.

With NWN you have a wide range of options for your character. Along with different classes, which you pick yourself, you have feats/skills which you also pick when you increase in level.

In DS, the only thing you actually do is to pick if your character is male or female. The concept is 'skills by use'. i.e. if you want to be good at melee fighting then use melee weapons. If you want to be a mage, then use spells. With each use of such items you skill level in these vocations will increase. You do not have any interaction with you character as all skill levels are set by the game.

The is much more regarding your character and I'll talk about them more in another post.

Quests

Quests are basically set tasks that your character can do in the game. They can range from a simple 'retrieve this item', 'kill this monster' to a series of complex tasks spanning many different areas.

If you do not feel like questing, then you are always open to simple monster hunting. Most games also include small quests associated with monster hunts, such as collecting bounties for trophies found off monster corpses.

Everquest is very big on quests (as the title suggests) and one quest concept is the 'Epic Quest'. This is usually class specific and can span many character levels, usually ending once you are high level.

Game Geography Engine

By this I mean how the game looks and plays. So far I have seen two types. The 'continues' world and the 'zoned' world (or a combination of both).

The continuous world is where there are no loading screens for different locations of the world. You can literally run from one end of the game world to the other without even having to wait for a load screen.

The zone world is made up of different areas which much be loaded in separately each time you enter them.

EQ, Anarchy Online and NWN are examples of 'zone' worlds.

Asheron's Call (1 and 2) and Dungeon Siege are examples of continuous worlds.

2. Father

Father The Boss Staff Member Administrator Moderator

What I would like to see in these games is not just quests but plots.

Do they have any plots on a grand scale. Like a powerstruggle between factions. Assasinations, conspiracies, betrayal, politics.

3. Fox

Fox Clown Administrator Administrator Moderator

And which ones let you role play the bad guys, or a creature or something different like that?

I've always wanted to be a PK'ing talking dragon. When a player approaches, I ask them "the capital of Abisinia" and if they get it wrong - CHOMP :p

And even better still - if I get hunted down and slaughtered, I respawn just like any other dungeon creature :twisted:

Fox

4. Father

Father The Boss Staff Member Administrator Moderator

On these massive games they should pay certain players to play certain roles, think about the amount of depth that could be created.

Like who is going to be Darth Vador, an NPC, someone from Lucasarts himself maybe?

What a job that would be, if only :wink:

5. Rickety

Rickety Administrator Administrator Moderator

Quests play a large part in MMORPG plots as these are generally the only way the story is progressed. What story you may ask? Typically each game will have a base storyline. With Anarchy Online think Dune and you have a pretty good picture of what the story is about. Quests tell a different part of the story.

The main difference with MMORPG is that content is continueously updated with patches. These are not just bug fixes but can sometimes be big changes with the game.

My brother an I have often discussed being able to play monsters in these game. You could basically have a level system where increaseing in level means you get to control more powerfull monsters in the game. The problem though is that this can, and would, be outrageously exploited. You can have a firend play a powerfull monster and have it just do nothing while you low level friend get a free kill.

Most major NPC/Monsters in these games are quite often played by game masters (GM's). These are usually in house people (quite often the devs themselves).

I expect SWG to be no different in any of these things. It will be full of quests and we all know the story. The game is set in between Episode IV and Episode V so basically I'm really looking forward to maybe taking part in the battle on Hoth!!!

6. Phlebus

Phlebus Getting Started

In SWG there is/will be a monthly story posted which all players can participate in. At the moment there is the following:

Assassinations will be possible. Bounty Hunters are in the game, but player created bounties are not in yet. Although they have been suggested by the devs. At the moment (or a soon to be released addition), players can be assassinated by bounty hunters if that player keeps failing or aborting missions.

Further, there is meant to be a politician profession to be rolled out. Politicians will be needed to run player cities I believe.