Mass Effect 3

Discussion in 'Shooter Games: The Range' started by Reoh, Aug 19, 2011.

1. Carm

Carm Well-Known Member

Daz has picked up his copy and is enjoying it, he hasn't tried out mp yet but is keen to ... I can't wait to pick up a copy for myself.. I will be playing the traditional game as I loved ME2 even with the bugs..:D Watching over Daz's shoulder I think the gfx's are nice :)
    Grats on the win Shiy

2. Xavien

Xavien Retired Captain

I played the multiplayer in the demo and quite enjoyed it. My CE turned up today and although it doesnt unlock until 12am tonight it at least allowed me to install it and redeem all the codes (and stuff from reckoning demo) so im all set to go.

Also read the evolution and invasion comics this evening to get me in the mood :) Have to be a little careful with the art book though as there are some potential spoilers in there if your not to careful.

3. rawprawn

rawprawn Active Member

Got my copy but playing one and 2 again first to get some of the transfer ability and to also get me back in the swing.

4. BishopNZ

BishopNZ Well-Known Member

Installing as I type this......why is it taking so loooooooooong...

Loved the MP in the demo, so will def be playing some MP. Add me if you want to coop - bishopnz

5. Carm

Carm Well-Known Member

I tried the demo mp and didn't really enjoy it as for some reason I kept ending up some super game or something, possibly it is just the fact I am hopeless :?
    Daz is Dazaroo he's keen for a mp game he's added Bish and Dave to his origin thanks guys :)

6. Methane Cuddles

Methane Cuddles Getting Started

I haven't played any of the MEs. This one looks awesome and I think that every time an ME comes out but I have yet to pull the trigger on buying one. There are also so many other good games all the time :(

7. Xavien

Xavien Retired Captain

Have to say Gruntingnap if you do decide to play ME3 you are highly advisable to start from the first one as you will seriously miss out on alot of story, i would say that ME is one of the most story driven games ive ever played

8. bookbuster

bookbuster Well-Known Member

If you haven't bought ME3 already, I suggest waiting a bit. Honestly. Wait until all the DLC is out and see what's in that.

Look, as I said over in the TF2 forums about it, I loved it, flaws an all. It hit all the right notes, in terms of story, tone and characterization. It was great to see my goodie-two-shoes paragon FemShep have to make decisions I was conflicted about. BUT, there is one thing which may be the dealbreaker for me, long-term, and is certainly the lens through which I consider my plays through the franchise. Judging by the chatter around and about, it seems to be the same for a lot of other people, and is the reason I advise waiting. It might be that Bioware will take some sort of corrective action, and you may well be happier for it.

MAJOR SPOILERS FOLLOW

The ending. Dear god, the ending! What. The. Fark. I mean... I think actually managed to ruin the entire series for me. All of that work doing completion runs with my One True Shepard. All of that investment of time and emotion. And none of it mattered. The endings are the same for everyone - paragon and renegade, completionist and speed-runner, ME2 final mission party-survival or a near-total wipe- and all of them suck, and not in a satisfying 'heroic sacrifice at a terrible cost' or a 'I hated it but did what had to be done' kind of way.

Each choice on offer was effectively a surrender for my paragon Shep who has been to hell and back, fighting to the bitter end all the way to keep her ideals. Destroy all synthetic life? Goddamnit, I just spent half of ME2 proving that synthetics don't just want to kill all humans, and again in ME3 proving that synthetics and organics can actually get along. What total horseshit.

Control the Reapers by effectively becoming them? The whole moral of the Cerberus storyline is that unchecked power corrupts even the strongest of ideals and leads to the creation of even greater atrocities than you seek to prevent; and that you can only ride the tiger for so long before it turns on you and devours you. Merge organic and synthetic life together into a new whole? You know, between the Joker/EDI romance, the mind-trip into the Geth server and the massive amount of cybernetics plugged into my Shep's body (as you yourself pointed out, glowing blue annoying child), we're doing quite well at that ourselves, thank you. We would like to continue doing so, at our own pace, in our own time. Besides, isn't your cybernetics tech/software the one that robs everything it touches of their free-will?

The whole thing also flies in the face of what I took to be one of the greater over-arching themes of the Mass Effect universe: the transition from adolescence to adulthood. The council races are a pack of squabbling children who are forced to rebel and grow up after realizing that their parents are not perfect, and are no longer acting in their best interests. It's a theme we see reflected in several of the key characters of the series. Miranda flee her controlling, ego-maniacal father and ultimately kills him. Liara quietly rebels against Benezia all of her life, and later has to come to terms with the fact that her mother was deeply, deeply flawed. Tali spends a great chunk of her life trying to make up for her father's mistakes, only to realize that she has to stop living for him and start living for herself. Jacob's father goes so far 'round the twist that has to be put down. Ashley lives perpetually in her father's shadow until she is forced to step up and surpass him. The ending effectively reduces the council races to a state of enforced childhood again, like someone who's forced to move back in with their parents after living on their own. "Stop having a temper tantrum - mommy and daddy are here now and will make it all better."

I'm tempted to replay the final chapter again (no save points! argh!) just so I can shoot that goddamn glowing starchild thing in the face. Actually... has anyone tried that? Maybe it offers another, better ending...

SPOILERS END

Last edited: Mar 11, 2012
  9. Avoozl

Avoozl Well-Known Member

I bought the game guide.. there are other options.. but I can't really type out the whole thing here for obvious reasons. :)

10. Carm

Carm Well-Known Member

I think the makers were really hoping the multi player franchise would go off and forgot that some of us out there just really loved the story side (flaws and all)
    lets just hope they get their act together & fix the problems and make it the best it can be

11. bookbuster

bookbuster Well-Known Member

Other options?

12. camdy

camdy Well-Known Member

i love it though i feel sort of sad by the end of the game,oh tip make sure you watch the credits when you finish the game.
    though there are some graphical glitchs as in the way they hold the gun or interact with something that type of thing an the sometimes the cut scenes have poorly done editing it is nothing game breaking.

oh if you import your ME2 character they look way better :D

13. Jalen

Jalen Getting Started

@Bookbuster .. Yes, I tried that... and no, it doesn't do anything. :(

14. Bonkman

Bonkman Active Member

I'm enjoying the game, myself. Graphics are better than ME2, of course...but still not perfect. Lot's of clipping, I've noticed. I like the music and sound design.

Using an ME2 (via ME1) save file gives interesting choices up front. Running into old friends is great. I actually cheered when Garrus showed up. Same with Wrex. And the banter between those two is great...smiles on my face every time they interact. I have run into Miranda on the Citadel. She looks the same as from ME2, just a little more polished and missing the Cerberus symbol on her outfit.

Just finished rescuing "Eve" in the main storyline progression. I'm trying to do all the side quest content before having to move on to the next priority quest. Gathering up assets for the war is actually kinda cool. But, at the speed things are happening, I swear Earth will be a smoldering cinder by the time I attempt to liberate it.

Side Note: I really don't care for Origin much. Coming from such an established publisher such as EA, with all it's resources available, Origin is rather poorly designed and generic. EA needs to take some design notes from Valve's Steam.

Origin ID: TOG-Bonkman

Last edited: Mar 12, 2012
  15. Avoozl

Avoozl Well-Known Member

If you imported a save game from ME2 (or ME 1 + 2) then your options are somewhat different depending on your choice of what to do with the collector base. Save it, one branch. Destroy it, the other branch.

I'm not sure I understand all the implications here.. but it seems like you need less readyness rating if you destroyed the base. Although, most of the options line up points wise. *scratch head* It looks like the max rating is 5k or at least that's the option with the highest point requirement. Some of the earlier choices look better but don't require as much.. Anyway, it doesn't REALLY make sense to me but perhaps when I finally get there it will. :)

There's also a special reward available to players who have imported a ME2 save that had the Prejek Paddle Fish alive throughout that game and then ME3. It says also through New Game Plus but that might not be neccessary considering it's an imported save anyway. In any event, visit Liara's quarters on the Normandy afterwards for your goodie. :)

Last edited: Mar 12, 2012
  16. Carm

Carm Well-Known Member

excellent news there guys thanks for sharing the insights

17. shiyoushi

shiyoushi Getting Started

Does anyone have any new information about when they will fix the face import bug? I've finished ME3 with a new shep, but I really want to play with my sheps that I've had all the way through ME1 and ME2 - and I want them to look like themselves, not have to reconstruct their faces :confused:

18. Bonkman

Bonkman Active Member

I noticed when I imported my male Shep ME2 file, I had to reconstruct the facial features. Never did check to see if it was a bug or a designed "working as intended" feature. I figured it didn't import due to some incompatible upgrades or something. Still, working from (vague) memory, I have my Shep.

19. camdy

camdy Well-Known Member

yeah had that bug on my 2nd character,i also did the game from a new character and all i can say is i'm not going to do that option again (i selected numerous):(

i'm thinking i might start a new character from ME1 and just play through to ME3 as its been awhile since i've played the other 2.

EDit: i found jack to look very different too

20. joeshmoe554

joeshmoe554 Well-Known Member

I finished ME2 on Sunday and started ME3 immediately after. Jack doesn't look that different, the hair is probably the biggest change. The person that I had the hardest time recognizing was Ashley Williams.

The character creator didn't look anything like my previous character, and I figured that was a result of the engine and graphics change. I just went with the default femshep and that's working for me.

My biggest complaints so far are the significant reduction in conversation choices and the vagueness of the journal. I've had at least 2 quests where the information in the journal was completely useless.