Looking to start playing an MMORPG again.. help me decide?

Discussion in 'MMORPG Games: The Realms' started by Nightbird, Mar 2, 2007.

1. Nightbird

Nightbird Well-Known Member

I used to play WOW, I have 3 level 60s on various servers, and a half a dozen characters before 40 and 60. I enjoyed the game, but I burned out on it. I played EQ 2 for about 6 months, and while I enjoyed it, I lost interest because I had a rough time finding people I enjoyed grouping with (TOG guild was good, but too high level for me and often not many on when I was because of time zones).

As background, I played EQ (the first one) for about 5 years, then. I played DAoC for 2 or 3 years. I tried Horizons, Star Wars Galaxies, Shadowbane, Final Fantasy 11, and DND Online. I tried COH with a trial key and couldn't get into it. I tried Lord of the Rings in beta and was bored, I tried Vanguard with a beta key and even with a pretty good system, it ran like crap for me, so I couldn't enjoy it.

So now I have moved, my life is going to be a lot quieter since I am paying more to live and about to have a pay cut, and I've decided my entertainment dollars will be spent on something cheap, like one monthly payment for a MMORPG. Only I have to decide which to play. I'm leaning towards getting the expansion and going back to WOW, or trying EQ 2 again. I've heard good about Guild Wars, but I've also heard that it is random servers and you cannot chose which server to play on so you will likely not be with friends.

Is there any other fantasy-type MMORPGs out now that are worth looking at? Is WOW's expansion worth it? Does TOG on EQ2 have more North American players now? Any other suggestions for me?

Thanks for reading this long rambling post. :)

2. hipcheck

hipcheck Active Member

I do not have much advise... I played Lineage 2 and mostly liked it, although it is big on grinding. how far did you get into LotRO? that is a nice mid-point between vanguard and WoW...

3. Trol

Trol Active Member

Our Kinship in LOTRO has been growing steadily. If you still have access to beta I suggest joining use there and trying it out again. After all its free to play in a beta!

4. Ancient_One

Ancient_One Console Manager Captain

Guild Wars........best ever.
    Pay for the game play for free.

You pick the server you want to play on and create a character on that server.

In the GW Forum you can pick the server based on playing time and world location.

We can all talk to each other and play in game at the same time.

Has a good following.

Take a look mate.

5. RnR

RnR Retired Captain

If you want to try a scifi game, Eve Online might be the go. Only one price ever too... $US14.95 a month. Nothing more to pay... ever.

6. Cerebrix

Cerebrix Well-Known Member

guild wars is one hell of a game

7. RogueSlayer

RogueSlayer Retired Captain

If it has been a while since you have played a MMO and are on a tight budget, I am going to suggest a free game for you. It is 9Dragons by Acclaim.

Ever since I tried Guild Wars, I was honestly put off by “free” MMO games. This is not a put down of GW as it obviously has a very big following. It just was not for me though and it gave me a lasting impression on the “free” game market (or more accurately in the GW case, buy the box and never pay again).

Anyhow, I stuck with SWG for many more months after that. Despite the numerous changes, I got a lot of value for my $15 per month. Flash forward now to November/December of 2006. I see a single post here on the TOG forums for 9Dragons. I look into it and see it is a free game. I immediately discredit it. Then after five minutes or so I decide I am bored and go ahead and download the game anyhow.

My first few minutes to hour in game, I was looking for excuses to hate it and I found some. However by the end of my second session, I was (and still am) a total convert. Also, the things I found to hate during my first session, I soon realized were just a side affect of being a “noob” in the game. Once I got used to things, I no longer hated any part of it. I am now a firm believer that quality MMO games can be made and put out for free.

While “free” games are supported by in-game advertising and optional micro-transactions as well as optional premium accounts (which generally give you an ad free game, accelerated xp gains among other goodies for about $8 per month) some such as 9Dragons are definitely worth a look. You are also not putting out any cash to “try” the game either.

9Dragons is also a very solo friendly game. So, if you are looking for something that can allow you to jump on and play for a half hour at a time without needing to first find a group, this game has that. So much so, I have not even looked into starting a Hero Band (Guild) yet. It is also very casual play friendly. I only play an hour or two a week and always feel like I am gaining ground (level wise).

So, as I said above it costs nothing to try it and you may (just like me) be surprised as well.

Last edited: Mar 4, 2007
  8. Nightbird

Nightbird Well-Known Member

Thanks for the replies. I will check out some of the recommendations. :)

9. Kia Mae

Kia Mae Getting Started

I would point you to the oldest game of them all, Ultima Online. It runs on even the oldest machines, and gives a freedom of play that no other game can. It is also rather cheap pr month, have a strong community and offers house customization like no other game out there.

Since you have tried out Vanguard and found it to play choppy, maybe this can be for you. UO will come out with a new client this spring that will take the graphics up to NWN 1 standard. Check out the thread here: http://www.theoldergamers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=94315

I am currently playing Vanguard on an old system, set on highest performance - and UO looks better compared to the graphics I see in VG:)

10. RnR

RnR Retired Captain

I think Eve Online can rival UO in terms of freedom of play. Its an amazing sandbox with an amazing player run economy. Check out the political map to see the complexity and the scale of the PvP in this map (each colour is an alliance made up of multiple player run corps)

http://www.eve-files.com/media/corp/CRII/Latest.jpg

Only one shard in the world. Skill based character development. You train not by playing but in constant time, even while you are logged off. Great for casual players. The only thing that UO has on Eve Online is player housing. Players can own structures, but not private dwellings which I think you are talking about.

I'm playing on an old 9800pro video card and it runs great. You can even play over a 56k modem.

Anyways, this is not a pissing contest about which is better, but rather a hat tip to UO. UO showed the way for games with 'risk' and hence heart pounding excitement. Eve Online has definitely borrowed alot of the concepts from UO, and hence limited its market potential as a niche market game. The majority of people want games like WoW. PvP'ing can be a frustrating exercise for some folk. However the other side of the coin is that the Eve community is incredible active and vocal, much like the UO community I'm guessing.

Lastly check out the how pretty Eve Online is... space games can be very pretty, even on old hardware. The 'Eve Never Fades' video is very well done;

http://myeve.eve-online.com/download/videos/

Last edited: Mar 6, 2007
  11. Monde

Monde Well-Known Member

I have to admit that I tried a few MMO's and still come back to Eve. Took me a long time to start playing because I wanted a Fantasy MMO.

The main thing I enjoy about Eve is that my Skills train in real time whether I am logged in or not. This means I do not fall behind if my Real Life gets busy.

12. CottonEyeJoe

CottonEyeJoe Getting Started

I am somewhat in the same situation. Me and the wife just had a baby and things are just starting to calm down where I have a little time to play and I am missing the mmorpg scene.

I have my eye on The Chronicles of Spellborn as well as Pirates of the Burning Sea, but they don't come out until later in the year.

So that being said I am looking for something easy to get into, ability to leave the game or walk away from the computer at a moments notice (because of baby)

Eve looked good but was a little intimidating when I tried and gave up after a couple days.

UO was my first mmorpg and in my mind still the best game to date excepting graphics, but I tried to get into it again recently and just couldn't get back into it.

I will have to check out the 9dragons. I have tried a couple of other free games as well beside GW's and couldn't really get into them.

13. RnR

RnR Retired Captain

Eve is intimidating, but if you sit in a TOG channel ingame, all of us will be more than happy to answer any questions you have. If you love UO, you will love Eve Online. The PvP'ing and full looting is the same.

14. Sente

Sente Active Member

You might want to give City of Villains/heroes a try. It is fairly easy and straightforward to get into and play sessions don't have to be long to do something meaningful.

To me, much of the people playing are fairly relaxed and usually if someone has to go away for a little bit that works out in general.

15. CottonEyeJoe

CottonEyeJoe Getting Started

Yah had CoH for a bit, befor villians came out. Haven't played that in about 2 yrs I think. I had a blast doing it had a dark regen scrapper.

I think I might give EVE another go but I did really like CoH excpet lvling to 14 before travel powers.

How are the communities in these now? I mean I know there is a good player base but number wise is it lonely out there and which servers should I look for.

16. Sente

Sente Active Member

Nowadays you can get temporary travel powers from level 5 basically, from Mayhem (villains) or Safeguard (heroes) missions. Villain side is more compact and requires less travelling in general. The temporary travel powers can be useful for quite a while, I have typically picked a permament travel power in early 20s (heros) or late 20s (villains).

I am not sure how it is on the US servers, but on European side it seems there is a bit more people on hero side. I play mostly on villain side, have not found teaming a problem. On villain side basically all archetypes are viable to play solo also, I would say.

I believe on the US side TOGers have their toons on Pinnacle and Triumph mainly, as far as I can tell. Just visit the CoH forums here ;)

17. mnms

mnms World of Warcraft Leader

Just wanted to make a comment on the Wow expansion since I don't think that's been answered on yet...

I think the Wow expansion Burning Crusade is pretty much more of the same stuff that the original game was. So if you liked the original game and was entertained by what you did there you'll most likely enjoy the burning crusade as well.
    However, some people don't like it because it's just "more of the same".
    They've made it a bit easier on casual gamers and some speak of more pvp-contents, but tbh it doesn't contain anything new and revolutionary.
    But then I loved the original game, and I love the expansion, particularly the opportunity for more 5-man runs. But I wouldn't recommend it unless you have at least 1 level 60 toon as most of the new contents is for level 60+.

18. hepcat

hepcat Getting Started

I just went back to playing DAOC on the classic servers no trails of atlantis confusion just good old romping rvr and easy leveling. You can get the 2 week trial free at the daoc site. Upgrade to catacombs free at same site just make sure you upgrade from trail option. Then pay 12.99 month to play. so no software to buy. Until the next great one to hold my attention this was allways the best of the oldies. have played em all or beta tested. Was playing eve last couple years but was dissapointed by ccp the makers and there support and underhanded playing of the game themselves. EQII seemed like a graveyard I tryed it couple weeks ago. Then tryed the classic servers on a suggestion from online friend. good luck find fun

Last edited: Mar 25, 2007
  19. Pit-Stop

Pit-Stop Just Joined

audi rs4 new test

new audi rs6
    test dealers prices
    audi-rs6

20. Molly Ruadh

Molly Ruadh Getting Started

huh? Is it free to play or is there a monthly fee?

Anyway, UO was better in the beginning. I don't know if you can still do it, but there used to be free shards you could play on, some of which had the old original areas and rulesets. They're also less crowded, and most importantly FREE. Google RunUO or UOGateway.