Let's get this right up front: DW20 1.6

Discussion in 'Minecraft (Public)' started by Irimar, Dec 10, 2013.

1. Irimar

Irimar Retired Captain

Yes, the new 1.6 version of the Direwolf20 FTB pack is coming. It will be out in the next day or two.
    No, a 1.5 DW20 world is NOT upgradeable. The FTB crew has explicitly stated that 1.5 worlds are not compatible with 1.6 FTB at all.
    What does this mean for Serenity? Well, that's a really good question. I know that there are people in the midst of big projects, so I suspect that we won't be changing anything on the server any time soon. Eventually, we'll want to upgrade or try a new pack, but I think that that's still down the road a way.

2. HenriDeacon

HenriDeacon Retired Captain

Last edited: Dec 10, 2013
  3. Akira Doe

Akira Doe Active Member

I'd be a bit bummed but I'd get over it.

How far down the road are we talking. The last time there was mention of an upgrade it sorta took the wind out of the sails and killed motivation to keep building (sort of). If we had a ballpark (weeks, months etc) that would help kick me in the butt and get me to finish the interior of my mansion...

Right now it's like a movie set shell...

I was going to take a screenshot but at the moment only the area around Aveege's place will load on the server.

4. HenriDeacon

I suppose if we make the map downloadable it's a big motivation to finish off builds.

5. white_bear_84

white_bear_84 Retired Captain

So with the upgrade we will not be able to move our builds across to the new server? :(

It would be good to have some idea of eta.. ..ifs its a few months down the line, might keep going to get a few things finished, just to grab some screenshots! If it is shorter, will probably drop out and play some MWO until the new pack is updated..

6. Irimar

Irimar Retired Captain

My thought currently is to give the new packs some time to settle out, as there are often unexpected bugs with new FTB packs. (I guess technically they're not unexpected at this point, just un-found.) I don't think it's useful to even begin talking about what we're doing next until sometime after the holidays. If I had to guess, I'd have to say that we'd be looking at a server reset sometime mid to late February at the earliest.

7. Akira Doe

Akira Doe Active Member

Motivation restored!!

(Thanks :D)

8. Aveege

Aveege Active Member

Yeah i personally wouldnt worry about upgrading for good month or two, rememeber when direwolf pack came out for 1.5 that it originally had a bug that causes world corruption and well they finally fixed that in a update. So waiting alittle bit to make sure all bugs that can be worked out is a good thing.

9. Penthrox

Penthrox Elite Dangerous Captain

Light at the end of the tunnel! At least the new pack doesn't have the chunk loader issues this one does. I have stopped playing as my chunk unloaded for the second time, just as randomly as the first.

10. RzA

RzA Active Member

if its a lil while off which is what is being looked at will be great. maybe looking into seeds and stuff can happen in the meantime throw out some ideas on worlds etc

11. white_bear_84

What else does it fix? Or what are the wholesale benefits of the upgrade?

12. Evil ZeR0

Evil ZeR0 Active Member

while i have spent a lot of time building and would be a pain to start again i wouldn't mind doing so.

being able to get a copy of the map would be great also.

13. Emeraldknight

Emeraldknight Active Member

If its mid to late feb then I'm all for it. That would mean I should be able to finish this revision off to see if it reduces the issues I have. If not then I will keep revising till it works or I run out of time. Then I can work on that on a new server. I so hate restarts but if it solves the issues I can live with them.

14. HenriDeacon

Last edited: Dec 11, 2013
  15. Akira Doe

Akira Doe Active Member

Watching it now...

Sorta pumped to start over lol...

16. Tresk

Tresk Just Joined

Although I'm not as advanced in my build as others, still I'm excited to start a new world with the updated pack but .. as noticed in the past with the Direwolf20 series there are usually a few bugs and maybe a major one still to work out at the begining of them and not all the mods wanted are not updated just yet ie: Xycraft (smirk) and others, waiting a few months would be wise, it's just some of the changes to say IC2, buildcraft, thaumcraft and more are so nifty looking, I'm pumped to start :)

17. white_bear_84

Thanks for that HD!

Its a long vid - keeping me entertained at work..

Some interesting mods!

18. Cheith

Cheith Active Member

Well, at least we get back to an uncluttered world, I guess!!

19. fireh

fireh Getting Started

New mods look exciting! I really dislike the spot I picked so starting over is fine by me. :)

20. Sister Julie

Sister Julie Well-Known Member

I have tried out some of the new mod packs...Direwolf20 1.64 of course, Horizons and the technical one. I always feel the most at home with Direwolf. I was a bit preturbed to discover none of them work offline.

I have also discovered Glimmar's Steampunk Resource pack. That has left me the desire to make some steampunk Minecraft. I thought about doing it on the Serenity server but that is something I would like to keep and keep working on.

I do like the idea of making the map downloadable.

Julie