Interesting article

Discussion in 'Elder Scrolls Online (Public)' started by Sytes, Feb 5, 2014.

1. Sytes

Sytes Retired Captain

http://tamrielfoundry.com/2014/01/pre-order-reactions/
    This is a /snip of the article.

That video brings back FOND memories of DAoC. Man, that... was the game! :D

2. Cahiry

Cahiry Elite Dangerous Captain

This faction lock then unlock comes down to they can't please all the people all the time.
    First we had faction lock and people were up in arms going on about ES games have always been about free choice etc, now they opened it up and we have the other side up in arms now about not having 3 locked factions.

I'm just waiting for an official interview explaining there change in stance and the community bitch fest that will follow ;)

3. Thymos

Thymos Retired Captain

I really like the fact that there are no racial locks for me.

When I played SWTOR, I unlocked Sith Pureblood, and made a Sith Pureblood Jedi Knight. I even had a Chiss Trooper.

4. morroIan

morroIan Active Member

Its worth emphasising that the faction unlock is only for pre-orders. It might be available in the game at some point but we don't know at this stage. This should mean that the number of non factional races in each faction should be quite low.

5. Blue_Talon

Blue_Talon Well-Known Member

I'm also of this opinion. Its only for pre-orders at the moment. Seems to be only a financial incentive to front load income before the games release.

Those who buy the game past the pre-order date probably wont automatically get all race access. It may be a similar system to SWTOR where you unlock the race through the story/levels, or a cash shop purchase.

Yeah, a significant number of the player base will have access to all races but it wont be that much.

I did think though, that you could only explore other territtories if you compleetd your own story line. A sort of new game+ senario....

6. Finnwe

Finnwe Well-Known Member

I was in favour of the faction unlock and now I am not so sure. One of the things that made wow so great was the racial pride, being an Orc or an Elf and being at war with each other. Horde races verses the Alliance races. Seeing an enemy on sight, and being part of an exclusive group. Meh this is not wow…. (pre empt )

However it will be interesting to see how this plays out. I will most likely play an Altmer Elf in the Aldmeri Dominion and if I am fighting shoulder to shoulder with an Orc for the Queen, I shall have his back and I know he will have mine. And it will be the death of Tolkien’s Middle Earth prejudice for me. How can I hate all Orcs if the one I am standing next to is laying down his life for the Queen. And if I am the only elf fighting for the queen, with a horde of Orcs backing me up, well that would be freaky.

7. Sytes

Sytes Retired Captain

I am still not in favor of the faction unlock for story line immersion / reality - if a choice existed, I would prefer it locked HOWEVER...
    A buddy pointed out EVE Online, an equal to the RvR enjoyment factor of DAoC old school days. EVE Online is cross faction w/o regard!
    W/ respect to communications between opposing players, again, EVE Online...
    The backstabbing, sabotage and spies were/are embraced aspects of the actual game mechanics.

8. Blue_Talon

While true, you dont expect to be able to fly through Amarr own space as a Minmatar militia pilot. If you want to experience the faction-led side of Eve then you are generally confined to FW systems and low-sec in general.

From my limited understanding, in ESO, if Im in AD and I want to go into EP lands to explore I can. Its only PVP in the main area not homelands....

I don't expect the metagame of ESO to reach EVE levels. Im justing hoping for more than GW2 WvW.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2014
  9. Sytes

Sytes Retired Captain

Blue_Talon, the more I look into it the more it breaks apart the comparison to EVE Online...

Cross faction guild mates are not permitted to group together.

More reason this unlock is an unfortunate turn of events... of course based on ESO's question / answer forum.

10. Blue_Talon

I dont there is anything that compares to EvE honestly..

11. Sytes

Sytes Retired Captain

Agree. ESO is actually close though. IF they made the unlock something other than trivial fuzzy chat channels for guildies - and opened for all to group together, eliminate the alliance only keep protection, etc.

Basically they already dumped on it w/ the unlock. Once they opened this, they should have completed the circuit by enabling as mentioned.

It should be:

Keep it locked
    OR
    Open it for all
    This middle ground does not even pamper the carebear PvE crowd as they may not group together.

12. Wabbajack

Wabbajack Well-Known Member

I believe cross faction guild functionality is primarily there to allow players to keep in touch with their guilds when they are playing alts on another alliance.

I don't believe they will ever get rid of the alliance restriction for the pvp zones, to do so would make little sense and require a total overhaul of their pvp design.

13. Sytes

Sytes Retired Captain

Another chat channel...

there will be powerhouse alliances, and there will be chat channels. TOG can do better than that.

Last edited: Feb 7, 2014