If you are into astronomy

Discussion in 'Digital Distribution & Mobile Game Applications' started by Father, May 1, 2011.

1. Purg

Purg Well-Known Member

That's what got me into Astronomy in the first place. Was probably around 1985(?) when there was a decent alignment and I saw Saturn for the very first time through a telescope.

I'll point out planets to friends and they're pretty blaze about it because it's just another white spec in the sky, different story when you actually see them for what they really are with your own eyes.

2. SJ777

SJ777 Retired Moderator

agreed purg - i dont get to look through a scope too often - but the times i have i've been amazed at what ive seen and it has quite and effect on the senses

ive seen some rentascope services (online remote control stuff) - anyone with experience in that (off topic so feel free to pm me) thanks:)

3. Brootal

Brootal Well-Known Member

Haven't gotten the scopes out for a long time, there's nothing like standing around in the freezing winter air at midnight (winter is the best time for it here unfortunately) trying to keep warm.

4. Drac

Drac Squad Officer

Winter is the best time for stargazing anywhere isn't it? Longer and darker nights ect.

I use to have a scope when I was younger, can't recall what happened to it. Loved that feeling of overwhelming insignificance you get when looking at Jupiter's moons or Saturn's rings from your own backyard. Gives you an odd kind of clarity and sense of being.

5. Reoh

Reoh Well-Known Member

When I was a kid I thought there were 2 black holes in our Solar System.

I blame the editor of a pop-up solar system book I had. )=

[edit]
    Oh Btw, kinda on-topic but I found this youtube channel thats pretty good for astronomy info.

It's about 8 yrs more up to date than most of foxtel's documentary channels. It also has no adds, doesn't re-iterate the same soundbyte/graphic 50 times, and best of all its free!

http://www.youtube.com/user/tdarnell

Last edited: May 21, 2011
  6. Father

Father The Boss Staff Member Administrator Moderator

Not bad at all, subscribed to that channel, thanks for the tip.