Horizons

Discussion in 'MMORPG Games: The Realms' started by Karmajay, Dec 5, 2003.

1. Karmajay

Karmajay Retired Advisor

Ok...

I have not tried a dragon..I'll let Aladan answer that question, but I can answer the dragons cant wear armor or use weps, but obviously have inate abilities of their own.

Leveling has not been to fast or to slow really, although I am still a low lvl, and I'm sure it takes longer at higher lvls. Xp depends on the lvl of the mob you are fighting compared to yourself. I believe there isn't a 'limit' on lvls. I read it goes into the hundreds I believe.

i believe each race can be any class.

I have seen the normal kill things or see this person. There are longer more in-depth quests, I am still too low lvl.

Ok, Please try to follow this. The muti-classing is easier to use then explain. When you are a certain class, such as a monk, you only get monk xp increasing you monk abilities and the stats that increase by being a monk. Now at any time you can CHANGE classes. You keep all your stats, but you can not use all your monk abilities while you are a cleric for ex. If you go back to being a monk, you get them all back.

A reason this is good(these are for ex purposes)say I would like my mage to have more hitpoints. A warrior receives extra hit points with each level gain. I switch over to a warrior, level up 10 levels, and receive larger hit point gains then I would have received while leveling as a mage! When I go back to mage. I get all my abilities back along with the now increased stats.

Now, this CAN NOT lead to a super UBER player. What stops someone from being a lvl 50 mage/ lvl 50 cleric/ lvl 50 warrior--first is time. Next, when that person has mage class selected, he/she loses their high level warrior and cleric abilities. The last reason, follow me please, is that those extra levels increase a number called 'adventuring level'. This is the lvl compared to monsters level that gains you the xp. Each lvl is a point, while 10 extra lvls (or so) in the alternate levels also gives you a point. So this person would have to fight something that is like 30 levels above him just to get decent xp!

WHEW!

2. Karmajay

Karmajay Retired Advisor

Ok crafting for those interested.

I have never been a big crafter, I would rather buy something then get resources, etc.

Since there wasnt a lot of armor for my monk, I decided to do a little crafting on the side, and I was impressed.

The crafting classes work the same way as the adventuring ones, except I believe you keep all the skills you learn.

There are some general crafting classes and some more selective ones called 'prestige' classes.

The general crafting ones give you basic abilities. The ability to forage plants and animal hides, rocks ore etc, and to make these resources into other things. Each different job takes a tool. To cut wood you need an ax. To get hides off of something you killed you need a tanning tool.
    Gathering the wood is more (dare I say fun) then SWG. Find a tree, use your ax and you gather wood until it is exhausted. Looking for flax? Walk around and use the foraging tool to gather.

These resources are then put together (using a tool) and a machine. These machines are located throughout the cities and countryside. The machines are specific, such a loom, etc. I'll give an example below.

The things you make you get from formulas. These can be traded from a loremaster with lore stones you find from killing mobs, or bought on the market from a certain class that makes them. Also you can make your stuff better by adding 'techniques' to them. If you want a sword that is better at killing frogs, you could find a blacksmith who can put that technique into your wep while they were building it! This eliminates a large problem like the weps in SWG, where the best wep is the same no matter who sells it! These also apply to the tools used to get resources. The basic ax will only get you to a certain lvl in logging before you must buy a better ax.

Wares are sold by a cosigner.(NPC sales person) Same as the bazaar in SWG pretty much.

Ok here is my crafting example:
    I received a formula to make tanned hide boots. This required 2 seperate ingredients. Hide strips and elm hide tannin. To make hide strips I had to have a certain number of hides. I peacefully (hehe) hunted a group of deer, used my tanning tool to get there hides. Then I went to the Tanning machine and made hide strips (btw, all crafting is 100 percent successful. If you want to decrease the amount of resources, that also decreases the success rate). To make the elm hide tannin, I needed elm bark amd water. I used a bucket in a well I saw near town. My basic outfitting crafting type doe s not allow me to be a logger, so I have to buy the elm bark. Once I have these pieces I can make the final product near a mannequin using my scissors tool!

Much easier then SWG's resource application I believe!

/bow
    "and to all a good night......"

3. Rickety

Rickety Administrator Administrator Moderator

OK, great info.

So basically the classes work much trhe same way as 3rd edition D&D rules. You can have multiple classes but you also have an overall chcracter level. The difference is that in D&D you could use all you class abilities.

When you mentioned that you could not use your 'high' level abilities from a class that you are not working on, what abilities can you use. Are there 'simple' abilities from each class that can be used? Also, if you decide to go back to a class that you had stopped advancing (e.g. Fighter, then Mage, then back to Fighter again) do you still get all the abilities back from where you left off fighter?

With crafting, can you use alternative ingredients? In your example you used deer hide. Could you use, say, cow hide and have the same result?

The game sounds pretty good, damnit ... I now wish I wasn't going on holidays :D

4. Karmajay

Karmajay Retired Advisor

As far as abilities lost, there is some type of formula for the lvl you keep. Not sure what that is.

Yes if you switch back to originakl class, you get all abilities back.

And yes, the component was actually ANIMAL hide, I just used deer hide. Although I HAD to use elm wood, although there are other types of wood.

5. OldCrow

OldCrow World of Warcraft Officer

Well I'm now a Level 11 Dragon Adventurer and a level 9 Dragon Crafter.

The diffrence between dragons and the other races is that we can only be those 2 classes.

As a dragon you can also cast spells right from the begining, but we do not have many spells to cast,and they do not give them to you at the beginning, you have to make/buy them. The spell you can cast are a mix of spells simular to what the other casting classes get, but only castable by dragons. These spells seem to stronger in some cases and weaker in others, but vary usfull.

As for crafting, dragons can craft a variety of items (most of which we can't use) and gaining crafting levels is no more difficult then grinding a profession in SWG. The good thing is a lot of the things we can craft is needed by the other races/classes so making cash is not too hard. And if whatever you make does not seem to sell, just add it to your hord.

As a dragon you have to keep building your hord. The more value you have in your hord the more powerful your breath weapon (one of your special attacks) is. The down side to a hord is that it slowly disapaits over time, so you have to keep feeding it.

As to adventureing, dragons do not evade to well, so we get hit alot. But we have a lot of special attacks that dish out some good damage. But on the whole we are not great tanks (at least not at my current level). I have watched other adventure calass's fight mobs of their equal level only looseing a quarter to half their heath. If I try to do the same thing their is about a 25% chance I will win. So I usualy fight things 1-2 levels below mine, the exp. is a bit slower, but I rarly die this way.

As a whole Dragons start out weaker then the other races, But I think if you stick with it, dragons will turn out to be the more powerful.

As a whole I'm rally enjoying the game...but it has been only 1 week, so maybe its just the newness of it, but I think on the whole it may turn out to be a good game. :)

Aladan, level 11 dragon

p.s. With the patch they did today a lot of the little things that had been wrong that I have noticed have been fixed.

6. Karmajay

Karmajay Retired Advisor

Oldcrow, just wondering if you still play the game...

7. Rickety

I'm back from my hols on Monday and I was just about to ask how you blokes are going with Horizons. I still plan on getting the game as the open level character system appeals to me.

What's you current assement of the game now that you've been playing for a month or so ?

8. Karmajay

Karmajay Retired Advisor

I think its not a bad game and will appeal to alot of folks.

I think it is more oriented toward the crafter PLUS those that are interested with community stuff. It is less of a 'I'm the coolest guy with the coolest loot' type of game.

Since I am the ONLY one playing I have aligned myself with a guild in that game. (Call of Fate)
    When I say community, I mean large projects that effect the game. At the games release, various races are under control of the evil denizens. Right now on alot of servers (including mine), we have found the entranceway to a mine that could start us down the path of rescuing a race.

Now this mine entrance needs to be rebuilt to be functional. That requires a) people to gather basic materials b) people with the ability to mold those basic materials into construction material c) runners (the crafting station are not near the mine obviously) d) certain types of crafters at the mine entrance to use the construction material into the mine.

Seems easy, huh? Well lets not forget the mobs that must be cleared from the area WHILE this is happening...PLUS the ability of the devs to real time control MOBS or high lv named uglies annd direct them toward the area.

So as you can see, those that like community projects will have a great time. Also the crafting is very detailed and not totally boring.

A lot less bugs then other beginning games for sure.

Once again though, a little less (as of now) to do for the true adventurer (like me). So now I work on leveling and being able to help with thtese projects.

Definitely worth 13 bucks for a month or 2 until something better comes out.....

9. Rickety

Sounds great! Any chance for another member to join the group you are with? It would be cool to at least know more than one player on the server :)

10. Karmajay

Karmajay Retired Advisor

Once you have a character on Twilight server check out www.calloffate.com

You will go to the Horizons recruitment forum and post there..make sure you read all the rules and stuff. They are an exellent group just like TOG!

11. DocKins

DocKins Well-Known Member

Whoa. That acually sounds like a lot of fun. Sounds like the devs have put a lot of thought into making the game fun and how they can take on an active role in the game.

Now as far as leveling...how is it? Can it be incredibly boring or is it still fun? And is this a game that requires at least 3 hours a day in order to keep up with everyone else?

12. Karmajay

Karmajay Retired Advisor

Leveling is as always...leveling...I probably play 10 or 11 hours a week... Im lvl 17 monk and a lvl 9 outfitter...which is probably average

It all depends...do you want to be able to make the BEST armor quicker then everyone else? Then you have to powerlevel. Then again, I continue to make some padded low lvl armor just to make money, and that sells all the time, so I'm happy.

It is definitely tough to find groups unless you have friends(what game besides DAOC is?), and it still needs work as far as 'roaming' content for adventurers..but like I said..I'm not worried about being the best, so its not bad.

Another thing about leveling..if you read my earlier post...if you get bored just being a mage, you can switch to cleric, which allows you to use different armor and weps. If you want to go back, you go right back to where you were mage wise.

13. UberStein

UberStein Getting Started

Must.....resist.....urge....to....play!!! :twisted:

14. DocKins

Seriously, but I can always be convinced :twisted:

15. OldCrow

OldCrow World of Warcraft Officer

Yep, I'm still playing, just not much lately. Wanted to finish what I started in SWG, now that that is done (finaly made Master Bounty Hunter) will be able to split my time more evenly between the two games.
    Started a second character on the server to see what the diffrence was between playing a Dragon and one of the Bi-ped races...must say, it much easy'r to level as a Bi-ped.
    But you should see more of me in game.

OldCrow

16. DocKins

I have not had much time to play much of anything other than some COD lately since I have been devoting all my time into sending out resumes and looking for a good job. I have a very promising job interview comming up on Wed, so I think I will celebrate by trying out Horizons.

17. Karmajay

Karmajay Retired Advisor

Cool...try to get on Twilight server if possible...

As usually Quisi is my guy's name...

18. Rickety

I bought the game but I keep getting CD Invalid error messages. Grrrr

I've emailed customer support but I'm probably just going to try an exchange it for another box at the shop I got it from.

19. DocKins

Let me know what your first impressions of the game are Rickety. I want all the opinions I can get before I purchase the game (possibly tomorrow).

20. Rickety

All installed and have my first character (second actually). The graphics engine reminded me of DAoC. It is pretty slugish if you have the settings up high but if you keep them around medium or so it plays OK.

The crafting system is pretty cool and I found myself running crafting task more than I did Warrior tasks. The game has nice potential. It has sparked enough interest for me to keep playing.

I have created a Sslik Warrior/Blacksmith called Ricslic :) on Twilight. I plan to become a Paladin so I'll be changing over to Cleric once I have enough skill in Two-Handed Slash (skill raises a set amount as per your class each time you level as far as I can tell and has no baring on how much you use it).

Karma/Oldcrow, any tips? I'm mainly just going to stay in the newbie town doing Warrior/Blacksmith tasks ...