Horizons

Discussion in 'MMORPG Games: The Realms' started by Karmajay, Dec 5, 2003.

1. Karmajay

Karmajay Retired Advisor

Since we already hijacked Asru's thread, I'll start a new one just for this.

Initially, what server should TOG play on?

http://horizonsvault.ign.com/

This website lists the servers along with other info. I plan on picking this up as son as it comes out, so lets decide quickly, shall we?

2. Karmajay

Karmajay Retired Advisor

Ok, to answer my own question, it seems that Twilight is going to be the Aussie server of choice..so that is as good as any for me!

3. Rickety

Rickety Administrator Administrator Moderator

Thanks for this Karmajay. I'm really looking forward to your review of the game. I'lll be spending most of Dec/Jan on holidays so I'll not be joining until mid Jan. Hopefully openning day issues will be resolved by then :)

4. Karmajay

Karmajay Retired Advisor

Are there any other North Americans that will be trying this game right away?

5. DocKins

DocKins Well-Known Member

Right away? Probably not. I want to wait for some fellow TOGers to try it out and tell me how it is. If it seems to do well I am sure I will give it a try. When was it being released again?

6. Karmajay

Karmajay Retired Advisor

Today (12/9)

I guess I'll be the first guina pig. The only thing is my rig is getting old processor wise so I can never fully test graphics...

Oh well later tonight or tomorrow I'll post a little something on it..can't forget Battlestar Galactica continues tonight!

7. Aphid

Aphid Getting Started

I am very tempted to try it out, KarmaJay, but I have a lot of time invested in SWG thus far. I'd be interested on your take of it, though, as I would likely try it out soon if peeps start raving. Sounds like it's going to be a fun MMORPG. I always did prefer the fantasy setting. Still considering it. . .

:)

8. Smash

Smash Retired Admin

Looks interesting. Let me knwo how it is.

9. Karmajay

Karmajay Retired Advisor

Ok...unfortunately I could only play for a short time tonight.

The graphics look better then DaoC, of course not better then SWG. I have a AMD 1g, 756 memory Geforce 4 440. In the training area I didnt experience any lag, but it was pretty empty.

Initial controls are tough to learn, but that happened to me betweeeen SWG and Daoc also!

It looks like the interface is totally customizable like SWG.

Tomorrow I'll be spending time outside training area I'll be able to get better stuff.

One thing...as of 630 PM, I installed and jumped right into game..10000000000000% better then SWG! hehe

For those wondering, a big point in this game is that the devs can actually change things, cities, landscape in game without patching. So events caqn happen and instantly affect the world. NO Pvp. Everyone against the enemy. Through tthe course of the game, cities can be lost or saved.

I like this idea. Also, since no pvp, NO NERF BAT! Face it, nerfs always happen because a certain person gets beat in pvp by someone else! So hopefully this works out!

'Till tomorrow....btw I'm Quisi on Twilight server...

10. Rickety

OK, thanks Karma. Hopefully anyone else that is going to get the game should join the Twilight server also. I'm not sure when/if the game will even be available here in Aus but I should be able to get a copy.

Hopefully you will still be playing the game in a months time as this will be around when I return from holidays ...

11. Karmajay

Karmajay Retired Advisor

im posting 7 pics i took in the tutorial

12. Derelict

Derelict Retired Administrator

D'oh Karma!

You put them in the TOG-Get togethers album and not in the Other MMORPG album!

I've PM'd GD to move them.

13. Karmajay

Karmajay Retired Advisor

Oops..hehe it was like 7 in the morning...

14. OldCrow

OldCrow World of Warcraft Officer

I installed the game yesterday, and am haveing a good time learning it!
    I still plan to play SWG, but need to take a break from it. The bugs in the game are starting to get to me, I am only able to compleat 1 out of 3 of the BH missions I take due to some bug that will not let me target my mark after spending the money and time traveling to it, and SOE CS will not get back to me to let me know if its just me or a known bug.

Even without knowing this post existed I created a character on Twilight (I just liked the name :D ) If you are looking for someone to do something with look me up. Am using the same character name on that game as in SWG: Aladan

OldCrow

15. Smash

Smash Retired Admin

Shoulda asked me brother :) It is a known bug and has been out there since launch. It is a pain in the ass to say the least. I can give you any tips you want to playing the class and leveling INV, cuz it is a pain. But very doable now with the xp increase.

16. Karmajay

Karmajay Retired Advisor

I'll look you up tonight!

Quisi is my guy's name!

17. OldCrow

OldCrow World of Warcraft Officer

Thanks Smashkin for any help :D I do not plan to quit SWG, I still really enjoy the game...just been doing just swg with the exclusion of most anything else since its release, kinda jones'n to do a bit of fantasy for a bit.
    Also watching SWG to see if their is something else to do after making Master Bounty Hunter. I have no intrest in persueing Jedi, and do not want to start grinding through anouther character class.
    Karmajay, I am usualy on from about 11am till 2pm MST Mon-thur and just about anytime Fri-Sun

OldCrow
    Aladan

18. Smash

Smash Retired Admin

Well there sure as hell isn't a whole lot to do right now. But with the vehicle patch coming it should now give hte devs some time to work on content before hte big push for the space expansion. God knows we wont get shit for months once they start working on that.

19. Karmajay

Karmajay Retired Advisor

Alright, some more pictures added today.

So far the game is not bad, Aladan and I grouped last night and as usual, a game is more fun when playing with a friend!

The graphics are not bad, the landscaped and sky look pretty good, even on my computer. In SWG I always had to have every thing turned WAY down. I didnt touch any settings and don't receive any noticeable lag.

The game does have problems with the distance drawing. Sometimes when you first see people, they just look like the basic drawing for the character, no armor, etc.

The sound is good. When you go into certain areas the music changes which really changes the mood.

Combat is ok so far. Spells and abilities have timers for the use and then recast. For ex, I'm playing a monk. I have a ability that increases my chance to hit. When I use it, it works for like 10 secs, then it takes a min to reset. Some take longer, and should be saved for bigger battles. Another interesting factor is something called stances. You eventually earn different stances (red, blue, etc). Blue stance adds more damage if you are fighting a red monster, but you will take more if fighting a green mob. The monsters stances are easily seen by a ring that travels under them. It sounds more complicated then it really is. It also factos strategically. I have a special ability that hits for a ton if I am in the blue stance. Do I still use it when going up against a green mob for example.

I have not really tried the crafting system yet. It is a player based economy. Getting resources is straightforward enough. You use a certain tool to skin animals you kill. You usea certain tool to mine ore when you see it. You also receive resources as loot of your kills. A crafter could definitely not fight a lick if he/she made some adventuring friends.

The interface is totally customizable. The hard parts are just letting go of the commands we are used to from other games. It is hard to type enter every time you want to speak! In SWG you just type and it is in your chat bar. Here, letters are quick keys, so if you dont push enter first or click on chat bar, abunch of menus will pop up!

There are other aspects of the game I need to explore. It also has a few bugs. But it has definitely been the smoothest launch I've ever seen or heard about.

It definitely has promise and I will continue to play it for now and look forward to seeing some more friends in it! (hinthint)

Please post any questions you may have.

20. Rickety

Thanks for the info. A few questions.

1. First, the most obvious, have you tried a Dragon character yet ?
    2. How has character progression been so far? Slow for low level, To fast, etc.
    3. Can each race be any class or certain races can only be certain classes?
    4. Can you mix up classes or if you are of this class, then you can ONLY use these abilities.
    5. What is their available in quests at the moment? Light on, any 'epic' quests., etc.
    6. Finally, the biggy for me, how many levels can you character reach? Does the game even have levels. How does the character skill/class system work?

Thanks for any info you can give!!