[DONE] Hi!

Discussion in 'The Barracks' started by ImTheDuke, Mar 19, 2021.

1. ImTheDuke

ImTheDuke Getting Started

Very older gamer here guys just joined. Stopped playing maybe 10 years ago for no particular reason. Just life stuff I guess took me a different direction. Recently got the itch to build a gaming PC (not sure where it came from) but quickly ran into the no inventory wall. I ended up buying a pre-built, which I have never done before but Alienware was one of the few that had RTX 3080's available. I ordered online on a Friday night a month and a half ago after a few beers lol. Anyway, this was supposed to be a simple PC purchase morphed into an office remodel. So it went like this.

1. Purchase PC
    2. Realized my old monitor was not going to keep up with the new GPU, I bought a Dell 32" Curved 144hz
    3. Now, with one 32" monitor and another 34" monitor my desk was going to be too cramped. This resulted in a trip to IKEA to get a larger, open desk with lots of room and some cable management built-in.
    4. I assume most here are married so they may be able to relate to the next phase of this thing. Once the purchasing ceases to be electronic and becomes interior decorating the wife suddenly becomes interested. She wanted to be involved with subsequent purchases of a TV mount desk and another desk for my output machine (film for screen printing) which is pretty heavy. A separate pc and monitor are dedicated to this printer.
    5. The TV used to be on the wall but I really didn't want it up there anymore. This was going to leave TV mount bracket damage on the wall. So now I had to get my office painted. We got my wife's office painted as well. To be fair, both rooms were overdue.
    6. A few days after I ordered my PC it gets shipped way ahead of time. Not ahead enough though because that freak storm in Texas hits and my PC ends up sitting at Fed Ex hub in El Paso for two weeks! So while I'm waiting for it to arrive I buy an Alienware mouse, keyboard, wireless headphones, and a couple of oversized mousepads. I love all of this stuff by the way
    7. Also bought a 16 outled power bar to bolt under the desk at the back so all the cables don't show(I have a total of 4 printers plugged into the new PC so there are a lot of cables).
    8. Finally got a corner stand-up light. and an ambient light strip for the back of my desk. A hook for the headphones. Some cable cover boot things that zip around some cables off the back of the PC.
    9. The last thing I bought (with the rewards dollars from Dell) was to APC battery backups for me and the wife. It came out almost perfect dollar-wise. I think I had to pay $3 more dollars.
    The funny thing about it was that almost everything was here and done(even the painting) except for what started it all, the PC as it sat at Fed Ex.
    Anyway, that's how I got here. Hopefully, this was amusing to some. I haven't done the math on the cost of it all. I don't think I want to.

Rukus308, Sysmon, CAMMO and 2 others like this.
  2. Shrubbo

Shrubbo Captain Single Sparkly Dot Staff Member Moderator -= BRONZE =-

No, you don't want to but what the hell right? Enjoy :D
    Congratulations! You have passed our stringent don't die before 25 application requirement and have made it into TOG.

Keep in mind there is more here than the division for that flaky game you have signed up for. There are other flaky games which all have their own division and other things of wonder, joy and wtf.

Public Forums (Philistines only or less then 25. Same thing)
    Member Forums (General chat, cat videos, VR, laboratories, Steam and Discord invites)
    Member News (If you have a mind like mine you just laughed)
    Simulation and Sports Divisions (This is for simulation and sports games!)
    Strategy, RPG and other Games (This is for err... Strategy, RPG and other Games)
    FPS (Brutal and horrific death. Lots of fun!)
    MMORPG (Also brutal and horrific death but sometimes ponies)
    Operations (The name you picked is stupid and you want to change it? Policies and stuff).

3. Monty

Monty Phoenix Staff Member Moderator

Welcome to TOG. I hope you enjoy your time here. :D

4. Gilderan

Gilderan Goat Herder Staff Member Moderator

Hey Duke, welcome to TOG and BTW, TX rox!! :)

5. CAMMO

CAMMO The Soprano Voice of TOG Staff Member Moderator -= GOLD Patreon =-

Great intro, loved the blow by blow as it were. Welcome to TOG.

6. Rukus308

Rukus308 Code Monkey Staff Member Moderator

Welcome aboard Duke :D now that's how to do an intro, loving the spec's mentioned also, good man, nothing better then having a new rig to burn in

Gilderan, Monty and CAMMO like this.
  7. ImTheDuke

Thanks! Having a blast playing Doom Eternal. Great mindless action. Getting my feet wet again online with Battlefield V but feeling way out to lunch. Don't see anything coming lol.
    We have friends in New Zealand we have visited the last couple of winters helping them with a car show. We couldn't go this year due to the covid thing and use being in Cali. We really did miss it. Great country and the people couldn't make us feel more welcome.

Gilderan, Rukus308 and CAMMO like this.
  8. Rukus308

Rukus308 Code Monkey Staff Member Moderator

Good stuff, glad to hear you enjoyed your visits to NZ and the car show part sounds great too, petrol heads come out of the woodwork. Bit of a kill enjoy with Covid ha, my Sister is in the same boat, lives in Cali at the moment also and would normally come over once a year for a visit but yeah... that's on hold

Gilderan and Monty like this.
  9. Greenshore

Greenshore Getting Started

Hi Duke, enjoyed your great blow-by-blow story. I'm also on the older side of older gamers and I'm on the market for someone to learn a new co-op game with if you ever fancy doing so. I'm based in PA so not too far away timezonewise. Not super fussy about the choice of game, I'm into FPS, RPG, MMORPGH, Strategy etc.

Rukus308, CAMMO and Gilderan like this.
  10. ImTheDuke

Don't know where you are but they are in New Plymouth. Great little town/city. He just had his car show Americarna. The two times we have been there we have seen a lot locally but have only spent a half a day in Auckland.

Rukus308 and CAMMO like this.
  11. ImTheDuke

Sounds good. Right now I have been " trying" to play Battlefield V but I'm getting my ass whipped.

12. Greenshore

Greenshore Getting Started

Hah, I used to play Battlefield 4 and I got to the stage of "not utterly hopeless". I'll try out 5.

13. ImTheDuke

lol I I can only hope for "Not utterly hopeless" status at this point. The last time I played I had 1 kill and 14 got killed and the one kill had was a lucky shot using artillery

14. CAMMO

CAMMO The Soprano Voice of TOG Staff Member Moderator -= GOLD Patreon =-

Duke our games sound very similar.:oops:

Rukus308 likes this.