Hey, got myself a PS3-80G Whats there to play?

Discussion in 'Hardware Talk' started by SnakeTails, Oct 19, 2008.

1. Pure Mongrel

Pure Mongrel Retired Captain

I don't think it does. Sony have been very forthcoming in showing people how to do it. Still I will dig out the manual I got with the console and see if there is something mentioned about warranty voids.

I am guessing / hopping only the hard drive won't be covered, the console should remain under warranty.

2. Ancient_One

Ancient_One Console Manager Captain

I'm pretty sure your allowed to change the hard drive.

Mongrel can maybe shed some light on ths but a search online say's you can.

You can put the old one back in for the warrantee claim if you feel inclined. Which I would if their was a chance of replacing the unit as a whole.

All I can say is it's a good investment as their is so many demos / HD save requirements / wallpapers / expansions / downloadable games etc etc

3. Bawheidbob

Bawheidbob Well-Known Member

thanks for the input it will be something ill keep a note of.

4. Pure Mongrel

A_1 hit the nail on the head. You are allowed to do it and if you need to claim on the warranty, just put your old drive back in.

Just make sure you only open the Hard drive bay. Warranty is void if you "open" any other part of the console.

5. maggot_bag

maggot_bag Getting Started

sounds like a plan. i'll put the original hd back in if/when i claim on warranty. thanks fella's for the advice.

6. Bawheidbob

Been going through the back catalog and it seems i have many games to catch up on i think i will be spending alot of time in the bargain buckets :)

Games like Assassins Creed, Heavenly Sword, Rainbow 6, Devil May Cry, Uncharted all good stuff i hope they sound decent enough.

EA sports series is a gnere of games im looking forward to play also yet i will most likely stick to the latest releases of these.

I am as yet unsure on what to do on the FPS front game such as COD and Fallout 3 i will be interested in playing yet to what format to get them on i am undecided.

All in all lots to look forward to.

7. click

click Well-Known Member

I haven't played this game but I did read that it hasn't aged well with all the recent updates to the PS3. Apparently it's very choppy and the framerates have suffered.
    Maybe hired first to be safe

8. Ancient_One

Second Assassins Creed and Drakes Uncharted mate.

Play Drakes first then make a decision on whether you can play or want to play COD and Fallout 3 on PS3.

I love console FPS but it's not to all peoples tastes.

9. Bawheidbob

Good advice i will do that thanks.

10. Cadder

Cadder Retired Captain

When the PS3 was released in Aus, you could get a 20Gb, 60GB, or Cerryl's 80Gb. Both were BC, but as Cerryl mentioned, the 80 was software emulated, whereas the 60 was hardware (which effectively meant it had a PS3 and a PS2 processor both on the same motherboard. AFAIK, The 20 was dropped very quickly as it didn't sell.
    The 80GBs got discontinued, then the 40GB was released. This was pure PS3 - no compatibility or emulation at all. (And the price dropped, since they were obviously cheaper to produce - remember they were $999 when they came out)
    The 60GBs were then discontinued, and for a while, the 40 was the only unit you could get. A few months ago they RE-Released the 80GB version (which I'm presuming is what SnakeTails won), but it runs on the same architecture as the 40GB. (therefore not BC either)

So; are the 80GBs BC? it depends which version you have.
    Incidentally, I got my 60GB off eBay after they were discontinued. Have a look, you'll notice the 60GBs are still more popular (and expensive) even compared to the newer 40GBs or even 80s. Full true Back-compatibility is the reason.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2008
  11. exploit

exploit Getting Started

I got one of the new 80gig machines in September, and right now im playing FF VII on it and putting a PS2 game in now to try as i type, and it wont work. So looks like u can play PS games but not PS2

12. Bawheidbob

Backwards compatibility would be a bonus my PS2 is one the the massive early models, yet the ability to play FFVII sounds amazing hope this works, i never got to finish it and when i got it on pc it was crash crash crash.

13. exploit

exploit Getting Started

its got me stuffed why it will play FF VII but not PS2 games. After i have finished downloading the Home beta i will try some other PS1 games i have to see if they work.
    Im looking forward to finally finishing FF IV, V, VI, VII and VIII.

Pure Mongrel likes this.
  14. Ancient_One

Maybe it's easier for them to code up in the firmware for PS1 games then to try and code up the PS2 games.

15. maggot_bag

another game that now dwells in bargain buckets is titled 'The Darkness' . This game is often overlooked as it doesn't neatly fit into popular genres. It involves some FPS, but it couldnt be called a serious FPS. There's horror ellements butt not the typical 'survival horror'. Essentialy, it's a love story, played in first person, and one that takes you into some strange places along the way. it really messes with your head

16. Milt

Milt Well-Known Member

Check this in relation to ps2 thread

17. maggot_bag

Pure Mongrel likes this.
  18. Ancient_One

The PS3 is compatible with just about any 2.5-inch SATA notebook hard disk.

Both 5400 RPM and 7200 RPM drives should work fine. (Their was an issue with read speed on 7200 RPM, number of errors, so might be better to stick to a 5400 RPM.) I did and never had a problem. Anyone upgrade to a 7200 RPM HD.?

The physical size of the hard disk is important because it has to fit the PS3's 2.5 inch drive tray. So a laptop HD is the way to go unless you decide to buy a 2.5 to 3.5 inch converter cable but the normal 3.5 inch HD will reside external to the PS3. (not a good choice or good look)

As far as storage capacity goes, it doesn't make sense to go through the trouble of upgrading unless you go big, by big I mean 120GB, 160GB, or even 250GB or higher.

You need SATA, I think SATA II transfer speed will be an issue.
    SATA II has a 3Gb/s data transfer rate. More details here on SATA II.

Can anyone else provide more details.

Last edited: Dec 4, 2008
  19. DrunkenSailor

DrunkenSailor Retired Captain

Totally agree. What you'll also be looking for is price per GB and how soon you really want/need the upgrade. As for the reliability of the Seagate and WD... couldn't really say, sorry, I still have the original 40GB in mine atm. As it's a media centre device, I'll be going to 320 soon too. I'm sure if you stick to the majors you'll be OK. ie Seagate, WD, Fujitsu, Quantum

Pure Mongrel likes this.
  20. Pure Mongrel

Just a thought.

For those that have a fear of voiding their warranty, or have 2 PS3's can you use an external SATA drive via USB?

I just considered it as I just acquired a 320GB Desktop sata drive and was thinking of putting it in an external cradle. I was going to use it first as a back up drive for when I do the Hard drive up grades, but then I realized if I can use it external, it would be easy to transfer from PS3 to PS3 (or even XBOX?)

Doable?