[DONE] Hello, Greenshore from Pennsylvania requesting membership

Discussion in 'The Barracks' started by Greenshore, Jan 8, 2021.

1. Greenshore

Greenshore Getting Started

Hello, I'm a 50-something gamer. I started out writing some games in the 1980s on 6502 8-bit processors, stopped gaming for a couple decades and then as my son was growing up got into gaming with him again.

I'm pretty flexible about which games to play. I enjoy minecraft realms if ToG folks ever get together to start up a survival realm for fun. I play Civ VI, and then I also enjoy FPS and RPG especially ones where there's a multiplayer coop campaign to be done. I also love an old presumably obscure game: Supreme Commander 2

Thanks for setting up this community, I'm psyched!

Greenshore

(note that there's a dead link for FAQ on the registration page. The link points to theoldergamers/togfaq.html when it should point to https://www.theoldergamers.com/pages/FAQ/ (Frequently Asked Questions) . I'll also send this note to the appropriate forum for reporting minor tech issues).

2. Monty

Monty Phoenix Staff Member Moderator

Hello Greenshore and welcome.

Congratulations! You have passed our stringent don't die before 25 application requirement and have made it into TOG.

Keep in mind there is more here than the division for that flaky game you have signed up for. There are other flaky games which all have their own division and other things of wonder, joy and wtf.

Public Forums (Philistines only or less then 25. Same thing)
    Member Forums (General chat, cat videos, VR, laboratories, Steam and Discord invites)
    Member News (If you have a mind like mine you just laughed)
    Simulation and Sports Divisions (This is for simulation and sports games!)
    Strategy, RPG and other Games (This is for err... Strategy, RPG and other Games)
    FPS (Brutal and horrific death. Lots of fun!)
    MMORPG (Also brutal and horrific death but sometimes ponies)
    Operations (The name you picked is stupid and you want to change it? Policies and stuff)

:D

3. Gilderan

Gilderan Goat Herder Staff Member Moderator

Welcome to TOG mate. I have reported the dead link so thanks heaps for calling that out.

So with your coding, were you coding in hex or hard core 1s and 0s?

Rukus308, Monty and Shrubbo like this.
  4. Greenshore

Greenshore Getting Started

I actually did code in hex! I still remember A9 was load accumulator!

I've been running over some of the forums and so glad to see all these communities! I'm not quite sure how alive they are though. My situation is that I'm interested in finding a community to regularly play with (East Coast USA evenings), but I am not at all picky about the specific game... RPG, RTS, FPS are all good. I'd be grateful for advice on how to figure out what's active and looking for new players?

Thanks so much for the friendly welcome.

CAMMO, Monty, Rukus308 and 2 others like this.
  5. Gilderan

Hi mate, best thing to do is to register for access to the TOG discord server here where most of the conversations now occur :)

Monty, Shrubbo and Rukus308 like this.
  6. Gilderan

Still pretty hard core mate! I tried that and found it all too hard - or was it I was too lazy! Had a mate who did hex coding and looked over his shoulder quite a bit tho.

Monty, Shrubbo and Rukus308 like this.
  7. Rukus308

Rukus308 Code Monkey Staff Member Moderator

Man I really loved "Supreme Commander", never got around to play the sequal game through, should give that a jam one of these days, Welcome aboard Greenshore :D

Gilderan, Monty and Shrubbo like this.