Origin Gatling Gears half price on Origin

Discussion in 'Digital Distribution & Mobile Game Applications' started by Thermal Ions, Sep 1, 2011.

1. Thermal Ions

Thermal Ions Retired Captain

2. DrunkenSailor

DrunkenSailor Retired Captain

3. Thermal Ions

That's the one I have (released around Nov 2010 from memory and what I can see on Steam). I found it rather repetitive and ultimately got bored with it very early on. Given I paid "full" import price I wasn't particularly thrilled. For $10 it's probably not too bad.

Admittedly I do seem to be the odd man out compared to it's general review scores however - so YMMV.

Last edited: Sep 1, 2011
  4. Chief

Chief Retired Captain

wow, what a huge surprise, EA pricing their origin titles for less than what they price them on steam. I never saw that coming.

5. Jigoku

Jigoku Retired Captain

It's just a spring sale. The regular price is the same.

6. Chief

Chief Retired Captain

lol yeah, just a coincidence that origin's spring sale started the same day they released gatling gears on steam huh.

7. Jigoku

Jigoku Retired Captain

Maybe you're right. I'm sure EA plan their storewide sales so they can undercut Steam on the release day of a no name $10 indie title that no one had of until they saw it on the Steam new releases list ...

;)

It appears the sale is only available through the AU store, not US, oddly coinciding with our first day of Spring ...

Last edited: Sep 2, 2011
  8. Chief

Chief Retired Captain

At the end of the day it's good news for some customers who use origin, and you're probably right about the timing of the pricing being a coincidence but here's something I noticed yesterday;

Origin has had games on sale since it launched, but no one has been interested in them in the past.

Suddenly over a dozen forums and news sites I frequent had threads and articles saying "look at this new release game which is cheaper on Origin than on Steam" when they previously had no interest in origin's sales.

In the last 24 hours I've seen 8 (yes I kept count :p) threads about Gatling Gears in the videogame section of a certain imageboard, which is just bizarre and on par with the actually popular Skyrim and LoL threads. Every single thread mentioned that it was on sale on Origin and contained discussions about buying it which in itself is weird when you consider the board's distaste for EA, DRM and Origin, not to mention it's simply a game this audience would have little interest in.

So either I missed the news that Gatling Gears is the most amazing game released in the last few months or Vanguard/EA is trying to stealth market the shit out of it.

9. Reoh

Reoh Well-Known Member

Sounds like the EA Community Managers are putting in some overtime... heh.

10. Thermal Ions

Or everyone was so shocked about the pricing that they couldn't resist posting about it - well in my case anyway.

Personally the game doesn't sound that interesting and my distaste for Origin remains, but I figured someone here may be interested. Timely with the expansion of the forum too.

11. Chief

Chief Retired Captain

Can confirm /v/ was being hit by marketers there was a big hubub about it on irc, a bunch of IPs got banned and the Gatling Gear threads suddenly stopped appearing at the same time.

Not the first time it's happened there, the anonymity makes it pretty easy to get away with most of the time. You still can't make a general discussion for Borderlands without 100 comments of "Viral" (most people there aren't smart enough to know the difference between viral marketing and stealth marketing, hence them calling it viral)