Gamespot review of Destiny - 6/10

Discussion in 'Destiny (Public)' started by rubicon, Sep 14, 2014.

1. rubicon

rubicon Retired Captain

Link: Destiny Review - GameSpot

Its hard not to completely agree. The solid feel of the PvP multiplayer is the jewel of Destiny. The "story" is far too patchy for its own good and I don't think they paid Peter Dinklage enough for him to give a ****.

Is it worth the $70 I paid at JB? Sure. I've got 15-20 hours out of it so far, and I'll still PvP for a while to come.

I'm just disappointed because I expected so much more... especially after the majestic Halo: Reach.

2. Chief

Chief Retired Captain

I think review scores are pretty meaningless tbh, I mean they gave CoD Ghosts an 8 and that was terrible, even for a CoD game.

I think Destiny certainly does have some massive flaws right now, however it's designed as something to be constantly improved upon and have content added. Even though the MMO features are light I think it needs to be reviewed like one, in that a year from now many of the issues will be fixed and it will have all sorts of new content.

Hopefully they improve the story and such with DLC and sequels and maybe give Dinklage some coke so he doesn't sound so bored.

I'm enjoying it for now anyway, just wish organising fireteams was a lot easier. Really needs some kind of in game chat or LFG feature. It's certainly far from perfect but it can only get better.

3. Binary-Ninja

Binary-Ninja Well-Known Member

I agree with Chief the base of Destiny is good but has plenty of room to move , the story lines are good even though bit choppy... The kicker for the game is it blends 2 game styles into one to appeal to a wider audience .. I think they made it like this as levelling up was quick to 20 because they knew what was to come at end of year.

Multiplayer aka COD / Battlefield styles will be added to with new arenas / maps with any expansion packs as with the MMO aspect and maybe new planets / stories..

The downside is drops or wins in PvP or PvE which required for RAIDS aka purple i have never seen..

It definitely needs a chat feature

Last edited: Sep 14, 2014
  4. Purg

Purg Well-Known Member

I agree with the criticisms, I'm only about level 8 but already finding it to be repetitive. The core mechanics are there and for the most part, they're good - it just feels like they hit a creative brick wall and decided to cut and paste a lot of the content.

I paid top dollar for the digital version. Feeling a little annoyed with myself that I got caught up in the hype. It has potential though and I'm hoping the game will grow into the hype.

5. Shazoo

Shazoo Getting Started

the only gripe I have is DEM LOADING TIMES! I actually timed it twice, it averages over a minute from when you hit the button to "Launch" til your feet touch down on the tower, sometimes its longer when you're in a fire team, other times it appears shorter when you're solo but still is just too long. With the back and forth the story makes you do, playing 10-15 missions makes out to be anywhere between 7-12 minutes of loading time.

6. Bort

Bort Well-Known Member

Yeah, load times are bit much. I have an idea how they can shave a couple of seconds off it - take out the launch button. I've selected where I want to go - just do it!

It looks great tho. If I didnt have a pc I'd probably be even more impressed.

Its a bit of fun, and I really havent gotten into it (level 5, ha!). By most accounts, I have nothing to look forward but repetitive missions and being trounced in pvp. :-(

7. Ancient_One

Ancient_One Console Manager Captain

The whole sequence of flight seems to me a very boring aspect of the game. Can beam up to the ship but can't beam to other planets. Give me a break.

They could have made staging areas on each planet for you to beam to. Do some shopping, maybe group up and then head on out.

Hell the guy can't even fly correctly. DO you see the massive pull up at the end of the flight sequence to each planet. Wowsers. Struggling to control or what.

What's with the co-op. Each mission has parameters but I have done all my missions solo as none have joined in and it doesn't even search for anyone to join with. Not talking about the final battle on each planet but the smaller missions.

Just feels to me that they could have tried a little harder with team ups, team chat and the like.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2014
  8. rubicon

rubicon Retired Captain

One of the great things about the game is that you can tool around with your inventory during those flight/loading sequences - just give the options button a quick push.

Luckily the shooting is so solid, I'm still having a bit of fun with the PvP and Strikes. I think some tweaking will help things a lot. Bullet-sponge bosses are just painful - especially that robot-thing below Venus with the rotating shield.

I'm kinda torn with the DLC (which I admit, I already grabbed) - part of me hopes it adds a heap of content and fills in a lot of the blanks, but the other part will then think, "this should have all been in the original game".

9. CaktuzJack

CaktuzJack Just Joined

Gamespot and most review sites are meaningless since they are often paid to give good reviews to certain games (Microsoft) and trash the competition (Sony).

Destiny is a good game, IMO.

It's not a great game, but it's good for what it is. There is of course, room to grow and Bungie has stated they are going to support the game for as long as possible along side the PC version which is coming in 2015.

The long loading times are because your client has to find a server, so this is how they disguise that process. It might go quicker on PC, but it also might take longer if there are no dedicated servers, or if there is high traffic like at launch.

Some of the things I would like to see:

-Ability to go prone
    -Be able to share and swap weapons & ammo among Fireteam members
    -Be able to switch weapons with a hot bar at the bottom of the screen like most MMOs instead of going into the character screen

Destiny is a solid game and it will be interesting to see how this "experiment" works out. I don't regret spending the money because I am having a good time with it, especially playing with TOG members which is worth more than any game itself :D

10. Drae

Drae Well-Known Member

I gave up reading game reviews long ago. There is too much conflict of interest and a total lack of ability to actually review a game. So many utterly inane, flawed and maddening games are released with minimal criticism (every COD and BF2 game in the last 6 years for example).

As for Destiny, sure the storyline is a little clunky, but the production values are high, and it is an MMO. I have never seen an MMO with a truly great storyline. IMHO only single player, story specific games like "last of us" have great storylines. Most games vary from bad to Okish. Destiny is Okish.

The PvE content is decent. The PvP is totally awesome. As a package, I love the game. If they can release some decent content, particularly on the PvP side, then it may well have some legs. Either way, I am happy playing with it for now, thats for sure.

11. Bort

Bort Well-Known Member

Its an MMO?

12. Ancient_One

Ancient_One Console Manager Captain

Yes. :D

13. rubicon

rubicon Retired Captain

-ish :mrgreen:

Seems Polygon (Destiny review: no fate | Polygon) and GiantBomb (Destiny Review - Giant Bomb) agree with the 6/10 mark.

Of course, it's still reasonable. It's not a feculent bog like Colonial Marines. I think Drae hit on something though - as a recent PS4 convert I've only just had the chance to play The Last of Us, which was awesome story-wise.

14. rubicon

rubicon Retired Captain

Welp, I think I'm done. I've decided to cancel my DLC preorder. Might check some of the reviews, but I've grown bored of the grind and shadows of mordor sounds cool.

Thanks for the groups everyone. Was fun.

15. Binary-Ninja

Binary-Ninja Well-Known Member

At least wait for next patch that will fix engrams so the grind would be worth it

16. Hydrus

Hydrus Active Member

I think destiny got the critical parts right mostly. As a FPS it plays well and has a good flow to combat.

I do agree with others that the story aspect was phoned in. I found the black gardens to be very anti-climatic.... You kill a "god" by blowing up 3 statues. Probably the worse sin is lack of context around the war we are fighting and why I should shoot the enemy.

17. CaktuzJack

CaktuzJack Just Joined

Same here :(

There is no real "game" after you reach level 20. Sure, there are levels above that, but the randomness of how to get there is just un-appealing since the time you (may, or may not) put into does not equal the reward you get... If any.

Also, don't get me started on the so-called story. There is a lot of stuff being leaked on Reddit by a supposed Bungie employee that details the original plan for the story and while content is cut all the time during production, the Destiny we were promised and the Destiny we received is a complete 180 in terms of visions... The current vision being one driven by corporate greed and marketing, apparently versus developers wanting to deliver a true Space Opera MMORPG the likes of which had never been seen before on any platform.

I want to thank all the TOG members who I've had the pleasure to team up with :D

You guys rock, and I am sure we will game in future titles e.g. CoD Advanced Warfare, and whatever other MP games will be released in the future :)

Alas, Destiny was not meant to be and the sad part is the foundation is solid, but the lack of context (story) and meaningful content just is not there to keep me and many others playing considering all the other games that are being released between now and the Holidays.

rubicon likes this.
  18. rubicon

rubicon Retired Captain

Hmm, this may take longer than expected. Spoke to PSN support today. Apparently they haven't had anyone else try to cancel their expansion pass yet and ask for a refund. I've been escalated to head office accounts. Will keep everyone informed...

19. CaktuzJack

CaktuzJack Just Joined

I know nobody cares, but I was able to trade in Destiny, for a $44 credit @ Gamestop.
    That's not bad for a $60 game released less than two weeks ago ;)

I put the credit towards CoD: Advanced Warfare because at least I know what I am getting with that game & franchise. I will be very careful with new IPs in the future and wait until the game has been out awhile to get the general consensus before buying. Lesson learned...

20. Swollen_71

Swollen_71 Just Joined

I would say that destiny should Have gotten a 7.5 out of 10 based on the fact of the wash, rinse and repeat nature of the game. Some more variety would have been nice. But all that said and done it frickin addictive. Every time I get a new weapon i like, i grind it out to upgrade it.