Freespace 2

Discussion in 'Retro Gaming and Nostalgia!' started by Shayd, Mar 25, 2009.

1. Shayd

Shayd Well-Known Member

lol...I was going through some of my games I have had in boxes for....well lets just say a long time :p and I found my original disks for Freespace 2.

I thought what the heck, I have been looking for a space twitch game lately why not see if I can load it up and see if it will run.

Bam! Vista x64 and it runs like a dream (I never install any game on [C:\Programs Files], and never have to run any game as admin, same in this case.)

It's even been a blast playing and while the 3D graphics are a bit dated the game itself is still leaps and bounds above many even today.

Got an itch for some space yanking and banking? See if you can find a copy and I bet you will not be disappointed! ;)

2. Rog69

Rog69 Well-Known Member

3. Shayd

Shayd Well-Known Member

Yah, I knew about the SCP and think it's great, just wanted to actually finish the original before hopping into that since I didn't before :p

4. my_right_buttock

my_right_buttock Well-Known Member

I remember that game, was excellent, one of the last great space shooters I played. Shame the series ended there I can't think of one as good as it that has come out since.

5. Shayd

Shayd Well-Known Member

I would check out the links Rog posted MRB.

Heck even Freelancer has gotten new life in being released into some kind of community update system.

6. Bikkies

Bikkies Well-Known Member

I have never found a another space shooter like Freespace2 that even comes close, some of my best gaming memories are playing this game through the entire comapaign and on lan.

If we can get a following or even a night for a dogfight with the latest released code count me in :)

7. Fox

Fox Clown Administrator Administrator Moderator

Freespace 1 & 2 have had some of the most engaging storylines ever. The gameplay was awesome. Tackling those capital ships was so immersive. Juggling the shields, scanning cargo, zipping around the hull of a mothership trying to dodge incoming fire, calling in a repair pod while limping to a teleport thingy. Totally awesome.

We're all in different timezones but I'd be up for the challenge!! I'd have to find my disks but!!

8. misternicky

misternicky Just Joined

Damn right, Fix. Both Freespace games were sweet. Their predecessors Descent 1 and 2 had me hooked - I loved 'every way is up' in a maze of passages and the surprise attacks by swarming enemies
    I rushed out to get Freespace and was blown away - they perfected the genre, beating reigning champs Xwing and TIE Fighter.

games.on.net have what what they call the Freespace 2 client files.
    They look suspiciously large, but the site looks reputable. Haven't got the bandwidth at the moment to check what the files are.

9. misternicky

misternicky Just Joined

oops Fix=Fox
    got my vawils moxed ap
    :)

10. grouchy

grouchy Active Member

X vs Tie wasn't too bad.

Loved Freespace 1, played it through multiple times. Was disappointed with the add-on that came out for it, can't remember the name. Never had a chance to try FS2. Have had the cdrom for years, just never loaded it up.

Tried Freelancer and the X series, but those weren't quite the space simulations I wanted.