Freelancer anyone??

Discussion in 'MMORPG Games: The Realms' started by oldskool, May 22, 2009.

1. oldskool

oldskool Retired Moderator

Ok so I know a lot of us are stoked about the release of JGE. So I found myself installing Freelancer for a bit of some space combat fix. I also spent some considerable time researching some info on things concerning Freelancer.

I found some pretty cool stuff. Some of this may be old news for some of you, but this was completely new for me as I haven't played the game in like 4 years. :)

So on with the good stuff.

I found a mod for FL that is absolutely awesome. Here is a link to the mod site:

Discovery Freelancer :: Home

This discovery mod has many MANY HUGE changes to the game. So much more content, ships, missions, weapons, star systems etc etc. So after playing with the Mod for a while, I had a friend come over and test a LAN. Went off without a hitch.

Which bring me here for this post. I have decided to start a FL server running this mod. It will be a private server and anyone who is interested in coming and checking it out, please post here in this thread and I'll send you the password for the server.

This is a test run still, so bear with me. I'll be bringing the server up this evening and giving it a good test run.

Also please read over the discovery site thoroughly as there is a lot of info you will need. I'll make it a bit easier for you and line out the first few steps.

1st-- download this mod manager: *NOTE* this mod manager is required to install and play this mod.

http://discoveryfl.com/files/flmminstaller.exe

2nd: Once you have the mod manager installed go here to get the latest version of the Discovery Mod:

http://discoveryfl.com/files/Discovery484.zip.flmod

After that run FL from the Mod Manager and VOILĂ€!!! all new stuff to explore!!

To those of you who have never played FL online ( I was one of them until yesterday) it's actually pretty fun. You can get in groups, go do missions, etc ect all the good stuff you would expect, but now with a co-op/multiplayer aspect that really changes the game.

As soon as my server is on-line I'll post the necessary info here, if any TOG's would like to join for some fun!

Hope to see some TOG's in space!!!!

Cheers,

2. Shayd

Shayd Well-Known Member

Heyas Oldskool,

I actually just finished up the SP game not long ago and was a blast, and started up with Freespace 2 again.

A friend mentioned discovery to me for Freelancer, but if I'm not mistaken folks need to be aware that is it faction RP'd and they frown upon rampant pvp. There's some cool stuff too like flying the Cap ships that were not available in the SP game.

My friend is over in the Dragon faction area.

Anyways, just a bit more info.

3. sschrupp

sschrupp Getting Started

wow, interesting. I liked Freelancer but never got too far into it since I usually sputter out eventually in single-player games. Think I'll have to dig out my install CD!

4. oldskool

This is true if you are playing on *their* servers. :) I'll be setting up my own just using this mod, and I can pretty much control pvp or not. I believe I can anyways. :)

I'll know more in a few hours when my IT buddy gets over here. :)

5. oldskool

Ok server is up. this is what you will have to do to access the server.

NOTE: In this example I'll be using a fake IP address. Being that this is a public forum any TOG member can PM me and I'll gladly give you the IP.

----There is a shortcut in Discovery mod root folder, called Discovery Freelancer RP. It has the following location on its "Target" field:
    RP
    "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Freelancer\EXE\Freelancer.exe" -s82.113.XX.5:XXXX
    -This is the address the I'll give you upon request-
    If you have Freelancer installed in the default directory (C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Freelancer\), you can use the shortcut without additional modifications. If your FL installation folder differs from default, simply change "C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Freelancer\" part to reflect your installation folder in both "Target" and "Start in" fields of the shortcut properties. To open shortcut properties, right-click on the shortcut, select Properties and click on Shortcut tab.

Creating Custom Shortcuts

If you have Discovery 4.83 or earlier version, or wish to connect to another server, you should edit an existing Freelancer shortcut to enable direct connect.

Right-click on the shortcut, select Properties and click on Shortcut tab. In a field called Target: you should see path to Freelancer.exe. After the path, add following:
    -s***.***.***.***:2302
    Where ***.***.***.*** should be changed into the IP of your server, and 2302 should be changed into port number of your server. 2302 is the default number, and in most cases it remains unchanged.

There must be a space between file path and -s for this to work. Complete Target: should now look like this:

"C:\Program Files\Microsoft Games\Freelancer\EXE\Freelancer.exe" -s***.***.***.***:2302

Hope to see some TOG's in space!!!

EDIT: Still testing at this point waiting to get an outside test. Will update.

Cheers,

6. Drac

Drac Squad Officer

I might crank this up and give it a go. It would be a blast to play this with a bunch of TOGers.

7. oldskool

I thought so to Drac. :) Still going through the testing phase and some bugs. The server is up but my IT guy didn't log in last night. At least not that I can see from the server log. So I'm not sure at this point if we configured the server correctly.

As soon as we get an outside test completed. I'll let all of you know and then we can proceed with the IP once I know its working properly.

Cheers,

8. oldskool

ok confirmed the server is not accessible. Going to have to to some test runs over the next couple days see what the issues is. I will post again when the server is up and working properly.

Cheers,

9. oldskool

Ok we are a go!! Server is up! We are testing right now. So PM me if you would like to join us.

Also I have created a Voon room for this game. Room is Brewpastor's Freelancer. Just do a search for Brewpastor and you will find it. It is also password protected so I'll include that in any PM's I receive.

If you don't have Voon...get it...it rocks! :)

Cheers and hope to see some TOGs soon!

Last edited: May 23, 2009
  10. merwood

merwood Active Member

Ahh i haven't played Freelancer in about a good year , I think i still have my copy i'll see if i dig it up somewhere and have it running tonite

11. oldskool

Awesome Merwood!! :bigthumbsup:

UPDATE:Ok just wanted to let you guys know whats been going on. We have the server up and it;s been running smoothly for several days. :) Very happy about this!

We currently have 3 ToG's playing and a friends dad joining in soon. We have been having a blast! It's a lot of fun going out and doing missions and just kick'n some arse!

A lot to learn though. So much more stuff to explore. But we are doing a lot of exploring.

If any of you are still interested in joining us post here and I'll PM you the info.

Hope to see some ToG's soon!

Cheers,

:bigsmile:

12. Reoh

Reoh Well-Known Member

Glad its going well mate, good job! Glad you guys are having fun.

(I don't have the game or I'd come try it out) ;)

13. oldskool

Bummer mate. :(

It's actually amazing how good this game is being how old it is. IMO it's the best space RPG ever made.

And now with this mod and all the new content, it just huge. Another really cool thing is this mod doesn't take away from the core that is Freelancer and is what we have grown to love. It just expands on a already great game.

And yes it does suck if you don't own the game. It's so old that I couldn't find it anywhere on the net for direct DL. Amazon had a couple copy's but were outrageously priced. So it could be very difficult to find the game. Sucks to because there is no equal ATM. I hope JGE can live up to this game because it IS the standard.

On another note we are finding that this mod is very faction based. Currently we don't have PVP enabled, BUT with so many factions in the game now it's a lot more likely to be jumped by NPC ships than ever before.

We started doing liberty missions, so are faction right now is with the cops/navy.

Also Players will be surprised to find a nice bank account awaiting them upon creating a character on the server. Makes it nice to buy some cool stuff!

Cheers,

14. Carm

Carm Well-Known Member

I saw this thread and was curious if anyone is still playing freelancer a friend of mine has just started a server up running the discovery 4.85 mod:D:D

15. Rechs

Rechs Retired Captain

Just read this thread and curious to check it out too, but it may have to wait until after rebuilding my PC this weekend. Thanks for putting the offer out here to host a great game oldskool!
    :bigthumbsup:

16. ColdCamV

ColdCamV Active Member

I know i got a copy of freelancer somewhere lol..if i find it i will install it and join up with ya's

17. Justin Kace

Justin Kace Retired Captain

This sounds cool! I was a real big FL fan back in the day. Better see if I can find my CD's after the last move... :)

18. ColdCamV

ColdCamV Active Member

found my copy...installed it yesterday and have been playing since getting used to it again haha...i forgot how tricky it was to get the mouse sensitivity just right...still dont have it just right..i always aim way past the other ship

19. oldskool

Well well well I guess this thread took off....just a bit late LOL. :) Well if any of you are still around and want to play. Myself and a few other TOG's are playing the current release. 4.85.

We are working on brining back up our own private server, but in the meantime we are playing on the US 24/7 roleplay server. Anyone is more than welcome to join us. I also have a room created using Voon voice coms. Room name is: Oldskool's freelancer room. Password is FLfuntime

Hope to see some of you on!

Cheers,

20. oldskool

ok don't know if anyone is still interested. We have a few TOG's playing on the Discovery 24/7 RP server. We've decided to stay on this server. It has a decent population of active players. Also the RP rules on the discovery server are really a lot of fun.

So anyone please feel free to join us we'd love to have some more TOG's playing!

Cheers,