Free Realms

Discussion in 'MMORPG Games: The Realms' started by brohawk, Jun 5, 2009.

1. brohawk

brohawk Retired Captains

So I tried it and it is a pretty cool game. Yeah it is a bit kidsy, but like Atrayo said the crafting actually makes sense.

I tried cooking so far, and you have to slice the meat, tenderize it, squash the veggies, or chop them, stir the pot, flip the slices on the pan, basically they are a bunch of minigames that do take some skill to do and are timed. The better and faster you do it, the more points you get to level that skill.

Also, I had a lot of fun doing the demolition derby and racing games. They are separate minigames adn both were fun.

The combat is simple, but you really don't have to do combat if you don't want to level those skills. Mobs in the areas don't attack you, you have to click on them and that ports you to an instance where combat is allowed.

And that is the one thing that I am not too crazy about, as the instances seemed to take awhile to load up, but then once you did, going in again was much quicker. Sort of reminds me of Guild Wars where when you go to a new area, it has to download that region. Of course in GW, you can do an image install and not have to wait, but I don't know if FR has such a thing since it is browser based.

The game is free, but if you look at the store, some of the stuff can be kinda expensive like $8 for a nice weapon. I hope it is nice for that kind of money. :) Since I haven't gotten very far (and blacksmith is a pay/month profession) I don't know what you can get as drops or craft, however they had some 'light sabers' for the ninja class that looked really cool and I might spring $10 for a pair just because. :) hehe

2. Atrayo

Atrayo New World Leader -= BRONZE =-

Hello Brohawk,

Sounds like your giving this game a thumbs up. (In the positive sense, lol)

Whats your toons name Brohawk? (so i can add you to me buddy list. I'm a lvl 20 Blacksmith which i can make you nearly any weapon you wish, including Ninja's.

The Race Car driver and Demo Driver feature set haven't been fully implemented as of yet. Meaning the leveling up in skills & equipment within those jobs. Just the race courses and basic equipment and starter car are in place.

Nice to see that i was making sense there, hehe. If Vanguard when it launched over a year ago had crafting like "Free Realms" i would've stayed longer. The crafting process in the old Vanguard was carpal tunnel syndrome case waiting to happen. (i didn't know how to use macros, i still don't.) :oops:

For some bizarre reason i was given Member status in "Free Realms" without an expiration date. To boot i was given 2700 Station Cash for free. I did read all beta testers which i was would be given 200 SC. But that doesn't account why i received the Member status and the $25 US worth of Station Cash.

Nonetheless i thank the benefactor whoever s/he is since i'm enjoying "Free Realms" immensely.

I heard that "Wizard 101" started as a fantasy kiddie Mmo like "Free Realms" is now. But over the course of time many more adults are subscribers to the game. It seems "Free Realms" is on par heading to that direction.

As of this week the SOE devs have stated they have 2.5 million registered users to the game. This free / micro-transaction Mmo debuted at the end of April.

---------------------------------

PS: Go to ZAM and claim some free item codes for freebies in-game.

Link

3. brohawk

brohawk Retired Captains

Arman Keenstinger is my toon name. I have gotten Ninja up to lvl 5 currently. I don't know what the max is, must be 20. :)

Even though the game is 'cutesy' I find I am even having fun with the combat. And the mining is just plain addicting. I must have mined for 3 hours and it didn't seem like mining in LoTRo or AoC, or even WoW. Yeah, I really wish other games would actually make crafting fun instead of a chore.

oh, and thanks for the link to ZAM :)

Last edited: Jun 5, 2009
  4. Reoh

Reoh Well-Known Member

5. RogueSlayer

RogueSlayer Retired Captain

Glad to see others enjoying the game. I use it as a time filler and end up in it for hours sometimes. Trying to get 100,000 on some of those matching mini games is a royal pain in the arse.

Roguesbane ingame. RogueSlayer was approved and then censored after a update to their naming rules which includes reference to killing.

I like Roguesbane though, so is all good.

6. brohawk

brohawk Retired Captains

I will have to add you. Yeah the game is a great casual game, but I end up playing it for hours at a time as well, especially the mini-games for harvesting. I don't know what the allure is, but it is there nonetheless. I wish crafting was as much fun in other games, or at least a bit more interactive. I remember playing EQ2 and crafting there was a challenge especially since you could die, but it still wasn't as involved I don't think as FR is. The making of stuff can be a pain, but you just have to get your timing down and watch what you are doing. I don't expect to be breaking any time trial records though. :)

7. sschrupp

sschrupp Getting Started

Boy, it is easy to discover a few hours of your life missing, isn't it? I like the mini-games for sure. I used to play Puzzle-Pirates now and then for the mini-games, but Free Realms is over all a lot more fun. So many activities! (From Step Brothers) My toon is named Kalizaar.

8. Atrayo

SOE: Free Realms, Now Has Guilds Feature

Hi Guys,

Instead of starting a new thread i'd thought i would just bump this existing one.

"Free Realms" is now featuring Guild Creation.

I just wanted to gauge is there was some interest for a TOG Free Realms guild?

Although if it was a TOG outfit your kids couldn't join as members. Which is dicey, since this is oriented towards kids / causal / and MMO players.

If there is some interest i would start up the guild. However i would need to ask / notify a TOG admin before i did so.

Any thoughts?

9. Reoh

Reoh Well-Known Member

Not playing myself but I remember there was quite a few trying it out, you might be in luck. :)

10. brohawk

brohawk Retired Captains

I don't have kids, but we could create a guild called TEG (the everyone gamers) who would be TOG plus their immediate children. That would be fine with me.

11. Reoh

Reoh Well-Known Member

Just keep in mind that if you wanted to be an officially recognized division then only full TOG members can be a part of the guild.

12. brohawk

brohawk Retired Captains

I don't think we would have enough of a following, and really I don't play it much anyway, more of a checkin and do something different game.

13. zwar226

zwar226 Just Joined

Free Realms - Guilds Now Up

Just wanted to say that I love the game! Players can now create guilds with their friends, too. It’s super easy to use, and players can even teleport around the Free Realms world to meet up with their other guild friends who are online at the same time! Definitely a great reason to register to start playing Free Realms if you haven’t already. Find out more about the guilds here: tinyurl.com/free-realms-guilds

14. QueensKnight

QueensKnight Well-Known Member

Eastern Daylight / Standard Time (UTC - 4 / 5)
    I get online to play some of the minigames sometimes. I would be happy to join the TOG guild if there is one and it is ok for us casual players of this game to join.

Later.

15. Falcolas

Falcolas Getting Started

Since Membership is part of the Sony Station Pass, I find myself bringing this game up from time to time as well. The dungeons are actually kinda fun... haven't had the same feeling crawling a dungeon since original EQ.

16. The DCG

The DCG Getting Started

I hit this in a search wondering if there is a TOG guild or group in the game- I'm looking for a work alt-tab time waster. ;) I'm not entirely sure what a games direction (kids) would have to do with our direction though? I mean, if enough of us play for a guild, and it doesn't have kids in it, what is the issue, I wonder?

I don't have children myself, so I can see where I would have blind sides to arguments...

_Cat

17. Atrayo

Hi All,

Since it seems we may not have the numbers to support a full fledged TOG guild.

I'll just post here a Friends List Roster of TOG members in "Free Realms". So we can at least stay in touch. The dev's have already stated later on this week the Racer & Kart Demolition jobs will be put into the game.

TOG Name Free Realms Toon Name Time Zone
    =================================================
    1) sschrupp = Kalizaar = CST
    2) brohawk = Arman Keenstinger = EDT
    3) RogueSlayer = Roguesbane = EDT
    4) Atrayo = Atrayo = EDT
    5) The DCG = Anya Redpath = CST
    6) MsGhoul = Kim Moondancer = CST
    7) TheGhoul = Doug Flutterby = CST
    8 ) QueensKnight = Ailrus Daysky= EDT
    9) Ariya = Arill = GMT+2
    10) namm = Namm Namm = GMT+2
    11)

Last edited: Sep 15, 2009
  18. The DCG

The DCG Getting Started

The DCG - Anya Redpath - CST

How many do you NEED for a guild in that game? Any at all, really? Why can't we make a guild, even if we don't have a division? We have a thread, right? ;)

19. Atrayo

Hello The DCG,

Well if we created a guild in-game with the "TOG" name. The policy is we can't have any children or anyone under the age of 25 yrs old in it. I already found out that on Server 3 the "Old Timers Guild" (OTG) already has a fully populated guild. I mention them since they follow a similar model community wise as to us.

Also which of the 10 servers be our Native Server? Since via the buddy or guild list players can jump from server to server with ease.

The DCG, do take notice that the top 3 buddy names of TOGers above haven't logged into their Free Realms account in over 5 weeks time. (I check via the profile system on the website) :p

20. brohawk

brohawk Retired Captains

hey, I was playing just the other day... ;) no seriously I was and I found some hidden spots too