Free Guildwars E3 Open Alpha - May 12-14 US Pacific Time

Discussion in 'MMORPG Games: The Realms' started by Quant, May 7, 2004.

1. Quant

Quant Active Member

Just a reminder that its about to start next week.

Sign up now so you are ready to play straight away. Only a 64KB loader. Downloads about 60MB of game data to your hard disk.

Opens at 12.01AM Pacific Time in the US on May 12.

Also check out Issue 5 of Photics fan magazine which has an introduction to the six classes and associated skills.

2. Delim

Delim Getting Started

Id be interested in this game if I wasn't into l2 atm.

3. Quant

Quant Active Member

Its only a three day trial, so you could take a break from L2 for a day or too to see what a fee free MMORPG is like.

4. Rickety

Rickety Administrator Administrator Moderator

I've downloaded the client and I'm ready to roll! Should be interesting ...

5. Portents

Portents Getting Started

Anyone will be at E3 itself ?

My lucky friend will be there, albeit working, he be at the Fungwan Online Stall I guess.

No TOGers from LA ?

6. Eagle_Keeper

Eagle_Keeper Active Member

Hmm, Guild Wars just went "live"? Just got an email a few minutes ago.

7. Eagle_Keeper

Great game so far. Very fun PVP. I am usually not into that type of thing. Had a great time and got pulled in for a couple hours without realizing it. It's free to try. Everyone should check it out.

8. Karmajay

Karmajay Retired Advisor

trying it as Karma Jay.

Looks cool...

9. Toker

Toker Getting Started

Tried this still am actually,the quests they have set up in the solo area isnt to bad quite simple really if you can find the items you need had the eleven carrapices before I got the quest so that one was really simple When I am on I am playing as Tokar DaWeed.

10. Rickety

So far the game is fun although not without problems. To join a group you need to be in an already existing group or by asking a single player to join you. You cannot join with an odd number of players which is EXTREMELY frustrating. I really hope this is corrected.

The missions are nicely done both with a group and solo. I have only touched on PvP but it was quite entertaining. The arena was interesting PvP since you could only join in a battle solo. Your team was assigned randomly which made things quite interesting.

The demo has you locked as a 15th level toon. Although you can gain experience, you will not increase in level (although you can increase your skills somewhat).

Considering the game will not come with a monthly fee, I think it is well worth a look. A TOG division would be pretty cool ... :)

11. Quant

Quant Active Member

I am playing a Ranger/Monk - Dirk Danger for the Alpha mainly doing the cooperative mission. Hope to see you on line.

12. Bennett

Bennett Active Member

I have an Elementalist/Ranger, Bennettessa Byron. :)

Had a look at it last night. Doesn't seem too bad. My biggest gripe so far is the movement. It's got all the right movements, just seems a bit clunky atm. Not bad for alpha though. :)

13. Eagle_Keeper

I have a Monk/Ranger named Eagle Keeper and a Warrior/Monk named Eegil Keepur. I will actually miss this game when it is gone. :cry:

14. Rickety

I've been running with an El/Mo. Not too bad if a tad on the weak side. I'm now up to the third coop mission having completed the second one finally last night. If these missions are anything to go by, then the game looks to be offering quite a variety.

Just as soon as I finish downloading this 700MB HL2 E3 movie ... I can start playing ... :D

15. Fox

Fox Clown Administrator Administrator Moderator

If there is no pay2play then I'm a serious candidate.

I was there during the "shutdown". You could hear the screams of anguish across the whole globe!

16. Eagle_Keeper

A lot of people are already hooked I think. I was one of the ones that hated to see it end.

17. Rickety

I really enjoyed the game and will certainly be getting it when it goes retail. I'll try and get into the beta too if they have an open one.

18. Quant

Quant Active Member

I agree with Bennett about the clunky movement, collision detection on invisible boundaries (eg. slopes which you couldn't walk down or up) is a pain.

I learnt to stay near the centre of marked paths as set in the Minimap, but not in your PoV. Also the invisible walls stuffed up PoV settings requiring the Right mouse to reset it to a reasonable angle to fight from.

Another bad thing was the lack of a jump key and the fact you couldn't walk through corpses, hence you tended to get trapped against the invisible wall and the pile of corpses surrounding you while more of the monster train runs up to pound you into submission.

Another annoying thing was the Prince couldn't be selected and hence healed when he was in the lake which ended his life quickly and my mission.

Would have been nice to have a first person view as well as the angle of view made attacks in front a tad difficult.

Almost beat the third mission as the prince had nearly cast the spell to open the gate, but my team mates got killed and trained the monsters onto me. Nearly finished but ran out of time.

Having said that, I did enjoy play right up until the server went down at 5.05 pm AEST. Shame my gold, dyes and rare bow are now gone.

So its got its flaws but by launch should be a worthy new contender for the crown of the best MMORPG around.