FPS noob - where to begin?

Discussion in 'Shooter Games: The Range' started by -=Guru=-, Jun 5, 2014.

1. -=Guru=-

-=Guru=- Active Member

I have tried a bit of Call of Duty and BF1942 a few times on LAN parties but only enough to know that I totally suck at it and find the difficult.

I would however like to give it a shot again but would like advice/suggestions on where to start. Some games migth not be suitable for a fps noob like me others may be a very good place to start - I just don't know any of them.

I do not have a consol so I am only interested in games for Windows (I use win8.1).

2. forcetrainer

forcetrainer Just Joined

I think it depends on the type of gameplay you like. Any competitive FPS like something from the Call of Duty series or Titanfall can be really frustrating for a new player because it seems like everyone else is leagues beyond your skill level. The gap widens pretty quickly too as the really good players level quickly and you're stuck with the same pea shooter.

If you want to get a handle on just playing an FPS, a single player game with co-op like Borderlands 2 would be great. The Borderlands games are just great games to begin with, and you're practicing all the FPS mechanics when playing them that you'll use.

Since it's a non-competitive environment it makes screws up much more tolerable, and they're a ton of fun to play if you get a bunch of friends on there.

Last edited: Jun 21, 2014
  3. 2_islands

2_islands Dark side ... Staff Member Administrator Moderator

Mech Warrior Online: Pace depends on the mech you select and the TOG Division is accommodating of all play styles; good bad and ugly. Will help train your hand eye coordination before you move onto the faster paced shooters.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2014
  4. -=Guru=-

-=Guru=- Active Member

Thanks alot for the input.

For a start I have aquired Call of Duty: Ghosts and started on the campaign but after reading your input I have bougth borderlands 2 and will give it a try and have a closer look at Mech Warrior.

There will be a short delay though as COD made me realize how old my graphic card is so I 'had to' order a new one :)

Last edited: Jun 25, 2014
  5. Battle Pope

Battle Pope Well-Known Member

Are you after single player or more coop/multiplayer?

Apart from some Doom waaaaaaaaay back when the original came out, I was a flight-sim only gamer until a few years back.

My first 'modern' FPS was Medal of Honor: Airborne (on Steam right now for US$5.00). After that I went to COD4: Modern Warfare, which I think still has the best single player campaign of any of them and palyed my first online FPS matches. COD5 was fun (I like WW2) and then went onto the Battlefield series starting with Bad Company 2.

The Borderlands series are a good start as well (I prefer 1 over 2). Call of Juarez: Gunslinger is a Flash Sale on Steam right now (until about 7pm tonight). For about $5 its well worth a pick up for a bit of 'Old West' action.

6. mylakhrion

mylakhrion Active Member

If you want to step into the ultimate PvP FPS grinder, then you might want to give Planetside 2 a run. Persistent, open world with four continents, three factions and hundreds (sometimes thousands) of players all battling it out at the same time.

Best of all, it is free to play.

TOG has an outfit on the Australian server (Briggs) playing the New Conglomerate faction, and there is usually someone online who can team up with you and show you the ropes. Check out the forum: http://www.theoldergamers.com/forum/planetside-2-new-conglomerate-tog-nc/

It has a steep curve for a noob, but it really teaches the fundamentals- aim, positioning and situational awareness.

And in full battle mode- with aircraft, tanks and infantry all battling it out- it is glorious!

7. -=Guru=-

-=Guru=- Active Member

At the moment I am playing Call of Juarez: Gunslinger which is quiet fun.

If I start to feel less a noob I might have a look at Planetside.

Thx for the feed back all.

8. Draadnor

Draadnor Well-Known Member

Also look at Team Fortress 2. While it is obviously cartoonish it is fun to play (and free to play now).

9. hadrian6616

hadrian6616 Well-Known Member

Have you been Gordon Freeman yet?

Doom, Half Life, Red Faction, Serious Sam, Duke Nukem, Wolfenstein, Rainbow Six, Metro, Bioshock, Crysis. These are must play games (series of games).

Call of Duty 2 multiplayer got me onto TOG and i hammered it for a few hundred hours.

Last edited: Jul 24, 2014
  10. -=Guru=-

-=Guru=- Active Member

No not yet. I am still on the first charachter. It has been too warm to play games the last couple of weeks.

11. Tulgar

Tulgar Battlefield Leader Staff Member Moderator

Too warm in Denmark?? Here in Australia I have to pour cold VB on my video card to keep in going in summer? :p

Lots of good suggestions so far in the thread. There is so much variety these days with FPS. I am only relatively new to online FPS, having started with BF3, before a brief foray to Planetside 2 and now a healthy BF4 addiction.

If you want something a little different from the normal fare, then even DayZ may be worth a look and there are some regular TOGgers playing that I think.

12. ColdCamV

ColdCamV Active Member

As everyone's said previously, it really depends on the type of FPS your looking for.

Lately I've been playing a little COD MW2 with a few guys as a fun pick up game and I've been playing ALOT of CS:GO on the TOG aussie servers (granted I'm still the most noob player whenever I join, being happy to just get 1 kill in a 15 round game)
    If you want more persistent then definetely go with Planetside 2 there are alot of guys on there and it's genuinely a fun game but if your after the more tactical experience I'd go with my personal fave and say the ArmA 3, it can jump from easy to insane in a heart beat and does take practise but if your running with a good team its as exhillarating as a skydive and well worth the price of admission.