final fantasy XI

Discussion in 'MMORPG Games: The Realms' started by RogueTrader, Aug 12, 2003.

1. Rickety

Rickety Administrator Administrator Moderator

Nice writeup Asru. For me, the choice of MMORPG I play depends on my interest in the actual material. The gameplay will determine if I keep playing :)

I have never been interested in the Final Fantasy series so I'll not be trying this either. My next MMORPG will be Horizons (mainly to try out the Dragons :) ) followed by World of Warcraft and D&D Online.

2. Nightlife

Nightlife Active Member

So what info do I need to provide you with when I'm ready? I'll do a search for some info myself while I'm waiting.

Ahhh
    How It's Done:

Obtain a World Pass.

Give your friend the World Pass and the name of the world your character is in.

When your friend creates a new character, have him or her enter the name of the world where your character resides.

Have your friend enter the World Pass.

He or she is now free to create a new character in the same world as you!

3. RedMan

RedMan Retired Advisor

4. Nightlife

Nightlife Active Member

SHIT! I got it in the mail today and have already had a hitch when installing the Playonline Viewer and putting in personal details. It only lists USA and Canada in the Country of Residence. This may be a hurdle I can't overcome since I am in Australia. Firing off an email to support for any ideas.

edit DOUBLE SHIT! :evil: Can't even email them without registering on Playonline as they want their internal email address as well. Even phoning them looks like it will be hard as they don't say country details for the phone call and you also need a player id for help.

ARRRRRGGGGGG.

Gonna need some help here Asru. Will PM ya to have a look

5. Asru

Asru Active Member

Bah, just say Canada or something. I rarely put my real address and phone # into untrusted software.

That comic was too funny, But I think the world pass thing is mitigated by a few factors:

- You can always start a new character, it's only $1/month more.

- It's important to solo to 6 or 7 at least before grouping. The exp is better, you don't have to go into harder areas which you might not survive, and it gives you time to get used to the controls and configs.

- You can always take your high level character and switch jobs to a lower level character. =)

6. Nightlife

Nightlife Active Member

Will give it a go........prays

Okay so I'm now an unofficial resident of Bathurst, New brunswick, Canada (thought if I can't live in Aus, I might as well have names of Aus places that exist :lol: ). Strange how with your credit card details it will accept just about any country of origin.

Game is now installing (disc 2). I'll let it install and update, still need some more sleep for work, then try and get in a server later. If I get in I'll let you know to grab that world pass.

K all set. Patch wasn't that big for the update. Around 140mb total. Still about an hour and a half total.

7. Nightlife

Nightlife Active Member

I logged in for about half an hour, would have been shorter, but it took ages to figure out how to get the log out option (mouse wheel button pushed down twice...WTF!). I wouldn't say it was a steep learning curve, just a cliff at an 88* angle :roll: I found where you are supposed to be able to set your controls, but could get them to change to anything. Lot's of reading and research to do, before I will try any fighting.

8. Rickety

I have moved this thread to the Realms forums.

9. Nightlife

Nightlife Active Member

One thing that I don't like is that if you try and alt tab out of the game for a moment, it crashes the game. Also if I try and take a screen shot, but still have my screen capture program running, it also crashes the game.

edit: Hit Level 10 with my Red Mage now and joined the Linkshell/Guild Highlander's

Really finding the party system annoying. Only being able to group with levels close to your's makes it hard to find anyone most of the time. You should be able to group with anyone in the same area, as you are usually after the same goal. Instead when you find someone, every one seems to want to go to different areas (some for xp, some for different quests).

10. Nightlife

Nightlife Active Member

Have deleted my character and cancelled my content id. Don't think there is anything else I need to do to finish up playing. Will wait for a bit before I completly uninstall, just in case they keep charging me.

11. Rickety

So what's the reason for quiting mate? Not enough interest from the rest of TOG or not enough interest in the game itself?

12. Nightlife

Nightlife Active Member

Macro's are too complicated, people expect you to be able to skill chain all the time now, grouping, I started in a very dull visual area, too much time away due to work doesn't make the heart grow fonder.......the list goes on. Doubt I'll even pick up another MMORPG for some time. Will stick to Beta's and freebies.

13. Rickety

Fair enough. Well, hopefully Doom 3 will be out shortly. Nothing like a good ol' fassioned zombie smashing to get the gaming blood flowing ... :)