final fantasy XI

Discussion in 'MMORPG Games: The Realms' started by RogueTrader, Aug 12, 2003.

1. RogueTrader

RogueTrader Active Member

if you are a FF fan and want to try a MMORPG game (like yours sincerely) , this may be the solution for us...

http://www.avault.com/previews/preview_temp.asp?game=ffxi

well, the last FF i played was FF8, but FF7 had the best story and characters...

hopefully we'd be able to get enough people to form a squad! 8)

2. Janus

Janus Hope is Alive

I've got the Preview movie for this. Looks quite nice. FFX style graphics in an MMORPG environment.

I'm working my way through the sidequests of FFX at the moment. Up to the little fiddly and difficult ones that really give me the shits. ;) I have 2 of the Ultimate weapons to go, then I'll go and find Ultima and Omega Weapon. A few more things, then I can finish the game.

There's a sequel of sorts too - FFX-2. Apparently there is quite a lot left unresolved at the end of FFX. :p

3. Nightlife

Nightlife Active Member

I had planned on getting into the beta when the exclusive d/l was available for Fileplanet subscribers. Unfortunatly it was for americans only and my d/l limit for the month was just about maxed out, so I wasn't about to test to see if I could get in or not.

4. Asru

Asru Active Member

I'll be playing this for a while upon release next Friday. Got my copy reserved.

5. Nightlife

Nightlife Active Member

I will probably be getting my copy on import from http://www.gamesuniverse.com.au/ as they seem to have the most reasonable prices compared to most other stores. Doubt I'll get my hands on it until halfway through Nov though. Will have to wait and see how quick the shipping is.

6. Father

Father The Boss Staff Member Administrator Moderator

I never played any of the FF games, aren't they in that Japanese Cartoon style ?

7. Nightlife

Nightlife Active Member

They vary greatly depending on which one you are playing. 1-6 were old school graphics, 7 had cartoonish 3D, 8 had realistic people, 9 went for an almost super deformed childish character stlye, 10 and 10-2 are realistic people. Note that all the games used roman numerals.

8. Janus

Janus Hope is Alive

Hey Asru - this is the PC release for US, right?

I just did a quick search, and couldn't find any info - how does the PC release compare with the PS2 version? Aside from graphics, of course..

Any links to info would be welcome. :)

9. Asru

Asru Active Member

10. Nightlife

Nightlife Active Member

I already grabbed a few FAQ guides for FFXI. macros (PS2 specific at the mo' but even they are pretty complicated), quests, guild recipes (what skill combos work well for guild types).

11. UberStein

UberStein Getting Started

Been reading about this, and gotta say the more I read the more interested I become. Hey Asru, let me know what you think when you start playing this. =)

12. Nightlife

Nightlife Active Member

Noticed a couple of peeps in the FFXI teamspeak area. So I'm gonna guess that you are already happily playing the game? How bigs the learning curve and what do you think so far?

13. Asru

Asru Active Member

FF XI 12 hour review

After playing this game for 12 hours, here is my take. I'm going to start with the bad side. The negatives are:

* The game takes AGES to install and run through all of the administrative BS (I believe it was three passwords, 4 aliases, and easily 30 screens of stuff you have to do) you need to actually begin playing the game. Downloading the patches was 3 hours for me. There's a bug in my XP where it wont read the .cab files off the dvd/cd player, so I had to copy everything to disk first. You might want to block out 4-5 hours just to get it up and running.

* The control interface sucks. For example, I have the "E" key set to equipment, but you need to hit "Ctrl-E" to activate. Finding the configuration was tough, and you can't configure things like inverting the Y axis on the mouse, sensitivity, and some of the keys.

* It's VERY STUPID how they have playing on the same world set up. In order for any of you to play with me, I have to shell out 1000 gil (gold) and buy you a "world pass". Then you can use that once to create a character on my server (Valefor). Why in God's name they did this I do NOT know. Me and a RL friend were able to get on the same server via creating characters over and over until we were both on the same server, but I believe they'd consider that an exploit.

Ok, on to the positives:

* The graphics! They aren't flashy, but damn they are good. The fine tradition of FF graphics is upheld, it feels like playing a real life anime game. Mobs are -really- well done, from what little I've seen.

* If you or your group attacks a mob, that mob is yours! NO one else may attack it unless you specifically call for help. No more kill stealing. I REALLY LIKE THIS!!! ;)

* Don't like your character class? You can change it as you like by going to your house. Your skills hold over from this as well, keeping in mind class limits for skills...so maybe you start as a monk and get your evasion to 8,
    if you then change to warrior your evasion will stay at 8 (it might be limited until you level warrior up enough so you can have your 8 evasion).

* Macroing is actually decent. A healer can set up a heal macro specifically for the tank, without having to target. It's one button press. Macros can do up to 5 commands, and it seems the entire game can be run with commands. (Haven't explored this fully yet)

* There's missions, quests, and gardening, and fishing, and crafting...so much to do!

* The game has been around for 1.5 years in Japan and they've been through their growing pains already. I have YET to see a real game bug affect my play after 12 hours in...this is unreal!

Finally, a touching story. I was happily killing mobs levelling up and mostly making cash. I'd noticed that all of the high level players are very Japanese. One of these players comes up to me and we start talking, but obviously he can't speak english well so I ... well started helping him as best I could (I wish I could speak Japanese). These guys are like above level 60 so I'm kind of stunned they are talking to me (you know, most people in games use their level as kind of an excuse to be snobbish).

The next thing I know they guilded me and the guildleader turns out to be the guy I started helping. He -really- wants to learn english, and I want to learn the game, so we...traded. They were all very polite, and I think I've found some nice high level friends. The biggest kicker was when I asked the guy who could speak some english how long he'd been playing. "1.5 years" was the reply. I asked "Is this still fun?"...he said "Yes. That's encouraging.

Anyone who speaks Japanese has a real edge in this game at the moment.

Anyway, bottom line is ... I'm going to be playing this one a while. If anyone wants to play on the server I'm on, it's Valefor and I'm working my ass off to get enough cash to get folks a world pass (grumble). This is a cooperative game, you don't get far without good grouping, so dont mistake my grumble there...it's for their devs...I'm more than willing to do whatever it takes to get a decent TOG foothold on this server.

14. Nightlife

Nightlife Active Member

Server noted. Hope it will be the one with decent ping. Have seen the game listed at one website for pre-order at $130 (they charge the same for SW:G), but the site I want to buy from only charge $110 for SW:G and hopefully will be the same for FFXI.

15. Nightlife

Nightlife Active Member

Game is now ordered and the shop is expecting stock on the 12th. So hopefully I'll be on by the 15th. Any stats on how much in total the u/l and d/l is per hour while playing?

Must make mental notes to stop wasting bandwidth looking for tv eps to d/l :lol:

16. Nightlife

Nightlife Active Member

I noticed in a review that they say learning how to play with a keyboard is "VERY hard" (their words) and that they recommend getting a PS2 type controller or a PS2 to PC controller convertor (have been meaning to get one of these). What do you guys think?

edit: Got a call from the supplier today and the game is in. He just wanted to make sure I knew it was an american import and I may need to provide an american address to get in. I told him that generally only happens in Beta's and there shouldn't be a problem.

17. Asru

Asru Active Member

Ok a few things have changed. I'm now on Seraph, and I can get a world pass for anyone who wants to play here no problem. I've learned a lot more about the game and have like 4 characters past level 7. My main is a white mage (WHM) that just made level 12. I'm in some linkshell "guild" of a real life friend of mine (who is over 25 and probably older than me), with some halfway decent people (comparitively speaking) in it. My character's name is "Asru" and if you want a world pass I can easily get you one. I'm playing one of those cute ass tarutarus and I'm too damn CUTE for my own good...makes my stomach sick but at least I have mana.

As to questions, I see "179" on send and "393" on return, I believe those are ping times. Not sure what the bandwidth is. I play with the keyboard, it isn't easy and you have to think 'controller' because that's how the interface is. You'll get used to it I'm sure.

I have to say the devs have done a LOT more thinking than any American MMORPG on playing concepts and the way the game is set up. Some random examples follow, but anyone who plays this game and has played EQ, DAoC, AC, AO, etc. will note the level of thought that has been put into things there from the first hour you play.

The auction system is by far the best economic system I've seen to date, which mostly equalizes twinking, allows anything to be bought or sold at market prices without letting someone unduly influence that market, and provides access to needed gear without running around and shouting or begging for it. It's pretty simple...you put your item up for auction for a price you set. You can see what the stuff has sold for in the past before you do this. WHen you want to buy, you enter a bid and if an item is set at a price equal to or lower than that bid your bid will purchase the item. It's really clean and nice. You can also see what items are out there to be bought and sold, which helps you pick optimal gear for your class.

The combat system is tweaked so melees can have just as much fun as casters with the "renkei" skillchain system. Melees, if they time their special attacks right, can perform all sorts of extra elemental damage. Watching the japanese players time these things is intense. You can also add sounds to your macros, so it's not uncommon to hear an attention getting sound (a few of them are even annoying) in an attempt to syncrhonize a renkei. It seems that as levels get higher, it is absolutely mandatory to learn this art. There's a chart of renkei combos, it's absolutely quite complex, and will take time to learn well.

You HAVE to level your skills. You can't level combat skills unless you fight tough mobs. Tough mobs mean you need a group to help you. Skills aren't just the domain of melees, there's healing and magic skills as well. This is somewhat of a hybrid skill/class system which I think bridges the best of both worlds, it's very class centric in terms of role but very skill centric in terms of what you can actually do. Often I've noted it's better to, say, level a potential mage main as a melee, gaining needed solo melee skills like evasion so that when you are a mage, you don't have to have a mob beating on your lowly armored mage self to level this ability. I plan to level my white mage as a warrior for a while to build these skills (since heal does agro mobs and as a tarutaru I get smacked around like a rag doll...which is a fitting analogy if you see a tarutaru up close).

Grouping is very intense. In a 6 person group, the experience nearly triples from a 2 person group or slower solo play, at the same skill rate. You really do have to have a balance of players, at least so far as I've seen, to do well. There's two healers in the average group, and these are actually needed. So are nukers, because without that extra damage it's hard to hunt stuff much above your level to get the exp you need. Of course you need a damage soaker (tank), and because of renkei you need at least another melee. Building grouping partners from an experienced player is as easy as changing classes (jobs). So if any of you actually get here to play, I can make myself a low level class and group with you (even though it's better to solo to about 10).

There is a dark downside to this game, and it's not so much FFXI's fault as it is the unavoidable naivete of the design of this genre of game. Simply put, it's too crowded. What Delim said about not liking to be in a game that's older is quite correct, and unfortunately near to a showstopper to me too. I suspect Delim is like me and likes to outlevel the crowds so you can enjoy the game without a lot of people in the same place.

What makes it worse is that the newbie areas are actually reusable by higher levels. An example of the kinds of things you don't want to have to deal with: last night, as I was trying to catch someone in levels, I saw a higher level agro 15-20 of the mobs that were out there and run them all around the zone...depleting the spawn for about 10 of us that were out there.

At my level, good hunting zones are crowded and spawn can get sparse. What's worse, high levels come blazing in and destroy everything to get through or just sit there and take your spawn. Honestly, it's no fun to go to places and see 10s of people camping for just one mob to kill. Devs need to learn to scale the spawn to the number of people in a zone, despite CPU and memory limits. FF XI clearly suffers from it's own success in this regard, and I'm supposedly on one of the least crowded servers.

And of course, what would a MMORPG be without the usual wankers? You know the type. Tanks who pull without regard to healer mana, healers who wait till you are 3/4 dead before healing (even in a game where mobs get special attacks), pullers who pull mobs WAY beyond the group's means, warriors who go "why should I provoke?" (provoke = taunt) while party mages die horribly, overnuking mages who die on each pull and complain that they don't have enough hit points, the unannounced and unnoticed but overzealous 2nd puller, and the other etc. you vets know all too well.

Pretty much the bottom line here is, it's one of the best MMOPRGs I've ever played, but no design can make up for the one nemesis of all massively multiplayer games: bad people.

18. Nightlife

Nightlife Active Member

So I gather I can just start on any server now and you can warp me to a your one? I ordered the adaptor for using a PS2 controller the same day I got my phone call about the game. If I'm lucky both should arrive tomorrow.

I had a browse around on the FFXI website and had a play with the character generator and have found 4 character types to choose from visually.
    Mithra female Face 6, Hair A
    Elvaan male Face 4, Hair B
    Hume male Face 5, Hair A
    Galka male Face 8, Hair B

Are any of those character types in low supply on the server or have people got a good mix?

19. UberStein

UberStein Getting Started

Arrgggghhhfhgfhdtdh. OK I am starting to get interested.....damn you Asru! ;)

20. Asru

Asru Active Member

No it doesn't work that way. I have to give you a world pass and then you can create a character on my server. You aren't allowed to transfer characters between servers.

Also I haven't done an exhaustive statistical survey of character facial types. Pick what you want to look like. ;)

Let me know when I should get the world pass, it only lasts a few days (I think).