EQ2: 350,000 and growing...and NO waiting queues!!

Discussion in 'MMORPG Games: The Realms' started by Twiz, Mar 3, 2005.

1. Twiz

Twiz Retired Captain

Edited to add URL to the article:

http://eq2players.station.sony.com/en/content.vm?page=FreeContent

EverQuest II continues to grow at an amazing rate, not just in the number of players that have fallen in love with the game's rich, entertaining content, but also in the physical size of the world. We've got over 350,000 people logging in to our servers every week, with no delays or wait times and the game they are playing is only getting better.

Below are a few reasons why we believe that if you aren't currently playing EverQuest II, you should be. We are committed to our player base and are very passionate about making EverQuest II the best MMO game.

Open Communication
    Sony Online has an amazing community relations team that listens to players' feedback, and let them know what is going on with EverQuest II. Our development team and even our president, John Smedley, often respond personally to players, so players can rest assured that SOE is listening (and reading) and we do care what our subscribers think. Many of the changes that have already been made to EverQuest II (i.e. more solo content, new interfaces, and even quest content) have been a direct result of community feedback.

350,000 Players, No Waiting -- SOE Subscribers Can Play the Game They're Paying to Play, When They Want To
    We believe strongly in ensuring that the players can get into EverQuest II whenever they want. Understandably, all MMO games have downtime for maintenance and patching, but we don't believe in making our players wait to play our games. Players are paying a monthly subscription to play a game and our job is to work hard to let them play it as much as, and when, they choose.

Tons of Content Added Since Launch
    Since launch, an enormous amount of free content has been added to EverQuest II. In addition to changes that made the game more fun for soloists and group players alike, more than 1100 quests have been added to the game since launch on November 8th. We've added more than 1200 new items to the game, including more craftable items for tradeskillers, and more loot around the world. Almost 400 new spells have been added and we've worked diligently to make sure our spell effects are as eye-catching as they are powerful. Recently, we added 8 new areas to the world, so there are now well over 100 zones in the world of EverQuest II to explore.

That's not all. We have a very long list of new features, additions, and gameplay enhancements that make EverQuest II even more fun to play, including:

Greatly increased solo and small group experience rewards
    Lots of new armor looks
    Two new dungeons available for level 25 to 30 groups
    A dozen new level 50 epic raid zones have been added, including the Draconic quests
    Eight new instanced dungeons for both soloers and groups
    More encounters added for soloers and small groups, including advanced solo encounters
    Tons of new quests, many for solo players
    Sabotage quests that allow you to strike at your rival city
    Training spells added as yet another way to personalize your character
    New examine information added to explain the benefits of spells, arts, food, drink, poisons, and potions
    Brawlers get built-in shields
    Guild followers can now spend the status they earn at city merchants
    Easier to equip rings, wrist items, and weapons
    Maps now show your current heading
    Lots of UI tweaks and enhancements
    Revamped Heroic Opportunities, making them more fun and visually dynamic
    Vitality indicator added to your XP bar
    Tabbed chat windows have been added to organize your conversations
    See what your target is attacking with the new Implied Target window
    More precise, informative AC values
    New heritage quests, including Golden Efreeti Boots and the Crown of King Tranix
    A new con system that allows you to see important information on enemies before you attack
    Longer durations for short-term group buffs and single-target buffs
    Less fizzles on spells meaning more damage more often
    Shorter timers and fewer restrictions on instanced zones
    House pet naming
    All tradeskill classes can now refine their own materials and components
    Wizards and Warlocks go nuke happy with more damage
    Tanks now tank better with increased mitigation
    Easier search abilities so you can find potions, poisons, activated items, and food
    Even more voiceover available for optional download
    Unmatched Customer Service
    Our customer service team is working around the clock to ensure the best possible play experience for all of our players. As EverQuest II continues to grow, our CSRs and Game Masters continue to hone their skills at addressing our players' needs. New help solutions are constantly being created and implemented as well, allowing our players to maximize their enjoyment of the game rather than our hold music.

All of this new content has given players a reason to come back to our world again and again, and we're continuing to make gameplay improvements every month.

Today, Sony Online Entertainment would like to invite players from any game that may be experiencing lines to log in to their servers, a lack of customer service attention, or a lack of new, free game content, to play the EverQuest II Trial of the Isle demo -- We think they'll agree that EverQuest II is a fun, engaging experience that players have to see to believe.

2. Ripperjack

Ripperjack Getting Started

Yes but...

[​IMG]

... 'nuff said!

3. RedMan

RedMan Retired Advisor

ROFLMAO

If you have the link though twiz throw it up for those that'll want it.

For awhile there I though you had written it. :D

4. Jero

Jero Well-Known Member

Angst Technology is on of my favourite cartoons, located here:

www.inktank.com

5. Sloffe

Sloffe Well-Known Member

Actually I'm interested in trying out the EQ2 demo but
    a) It only seems to be available through gamespy/fileplanet and my computers refuse to work with either, and
    b) with only a 128k ISDN connection a 1.64gig d/l is gonna take a while to download.
    Are there any other options available in obtaining it? Even a bittorrent download would be preferable.
    BTW this must set a new record for the biggest demo. 8O

6. Bayle

Bayle Retired Captain

maybe the biggest shortest demo, you can only play on newbie isle, which is good, but offers very little in replay value, i am guessing if you were to put your mind to it, you might be able to max out at newbie isle in about 3 - 4 hours with one character, if youre a old pro, less time than that.

7. Twiz

Twiz Retired Captain

Hmmmm good point...they couldn't pay me enough to be a "real" SoE PR rep...

8. Twiz

Twiz Retired Captain

LoL Ripper...bwahhhhh...I WANT my TIE fighter for those long journeys to the Commonlands...

9. cakewench

cakewench Retired Advisor

Bonus points for the Goonies ref. :D

10. Handa

Handa Well-Known Member

I guess I'd have to ask what "350,000 players" means. All to often in the MMORPG market, numbers are manipulated to put the most favorable spin on a developers project. I certainly understand the motive for that but the consumer needs to take such pronouncements with a grain of salt until numbers are defined. I suspect that there are FAR fewer then 350,000 simultaneous users in EQ2. In fact, data supports that EQ2 is under-preforming as a heavyweight mmorpg title. This link, http://www.mmorpgchart.com/ is for the current definative measurement of mmorpg market share developed by Bruce Woodcock. His research is largely based on pronouncements made by publishers and corporate "suits" so self-serving numbers are possible.

Excerpted from Woodcocks analysis: "Firstly, I rely on the companies and employees themselves to provide the bulk of the data. The numbers they give could be completely made up, and as Enron taught us, even financial reports could be misleading. However, given that none of claims seem highly outrageous, and that all companies are equally capable of lying, it would seem that the numbers given are pretty close to the truth. There is probably some minor fudging involved when a company wants to claim a major milestone, rounding up to the nearest 5K or 10K increment. But at the very least, the relative comparison between MMOGs is retained, even if individual data points may be off 10% or more.

Secondly, there’s no universal consensus on what constitutes an active subscriber. Some companies may count players currently on their traditional first “free month” as a current subscriber, whereas others might not start counting them until after that period and the customer actually chooses to subscribe. Although the accounts that don’t subscribe get “subtracted’ a month later, such accounting could create a continuous effect of inflating the overall subscription total. Most MMOGs probably do this, but some may not, and this may make them appear slightly larger than they actually are. Still, after the initial launch of a game or an expansion, the actual monthly effect of such accounts should be relatively minor… perhaps on the order of 10%.

Finally, a “subscriber” is generally counted as an individually numbered account currently in a company’s billing system. In some instances, one person may maintain multiple accounts, and thus be double or even triple-counted. Some MMOGs may even encourage this behavior more than others. There isn’t much I can do about this fact; again, the effect is probably minor compared to the overall population of a given MMOG, and in any case it’s certainly valid to count such multiple subscriptions if your goal is to evaluate the relative market share of each MMOG."

There seems to be the attempt to sell based upon a negative in the statement from SOE as if attacking WOW (by implication) somehow makes EQ2 a more attractive game. SOE's statement could be "spun" as...."all servers have a maximum capacity. We would have liked to have maxed that capacity, but because we didn't, its no problem logging in." To me, it is amazing the reaction exhibited by fans of a particular game....especially if they perceive their game to be "bested" by a competitor. In fact, the success of multiple games can only be a positive for the mmorpg genre in whole. As more and more games succeed, other developers will be enticed into the genre. Some of what they produce will be trash or vaporware but the genre's consumers will at least get further diversity from which to choose. And to be successful, many of these developers will bring further innovation into the online game world.

edit: corrected dead link

11. Karmajay

Karmajay Retired Advisor

350,000 is the number for the registered game users.I believe Blizzard also uses registered game users for its numbers.

Those numbers dont take into account how many users have switched back and forth though.

12. Twiz

Twiz Retired Captain

It would be more interesting how many play both simultaneously...but anyway...waiting queues are a fact in WoW, they don't exist in EQ2...any smart marketer would use that to their advantage.

Personally, I don't think either bests the other as they target way different audiences as I have mentioned elsewhere...WoW for the immediate gratification crowd, EQ2 for those who want a deeper game that takes effort...and both for those who want the opportunity to play either based on their RL situation atm.

You can find a link at blizzard where you can check their server population by low, moderate, high, queued...there are a LOT of low population ones, although there are some queued at the same time...so I think the argument that all blizzards servers are maxed is moot.

All I did was post a news announcement from SoE...seems the defense is why Blizzard still has waiting queues :D ...

13. Ijs

Ijs Well-Known Member

Two interesting statements.

The first, well, I disagree.
    Both take effort.
    WoW appeals to more than the immediate gratification crowd. Although it certainly does appeal to that crowd, it ALSO appeals to people who want a "deep" game.
    We're coming up on four months after release. If all the hundreds and hundreds (million-plus now including asia/europe) of thousands only wanted immediate gratification.... why are they still playing?

Answer, it's fun.
    As is EQ2.

Re: queues
    There are two MMO philosophies at work here.
    How many people should be allowed on X server, and should there be a hard cap?
    I'm not sure about EQ, but SWG applies a hard cap. Remember Starsider? The official 'unofficial' east coast RP server. It got hit so hard at release, they had to STOP player from registering on that server (temporarily). Guilds had some player in, some not.

WoW/Blizzard has taken a different approach. Ie. Unlimited players on any server, but limited amount allowed to log in.

This gives people the freedom to choose. You want to join an overcrowded server? Go ahead. You want to play right away, every day? Go ahead.
    There are low pop servers... there just isn't enough incentive for people to move to them. High pop servers are, and always will be, the most desirable.

The question in WoW is 'why are there queues?'... but the question in EQ2 is, 'why are there NO queues, ever?'

We'll see what happens when they implement character transfers.
    (It took SWG a year to implement and they charged $30+ -- Shadowbane, less than a year, offered free transfers but that was due to ALL servers being underpop. and consolidation)

14. Bayle

Bayle Retired Captain

i agree and well said. there is no immediate gratification that i am aware of as of yet, theres alot in the game that requires some serious thought and preparation. i just got my Zerker stance last night for my warrior, that required going behing enemies lines, deep into orc territories, alone did i mention? swam the river past the orc capitol, noone told me to do it this way, actually quite a few folk on Ventrillo told me otherwise, take the boat... well i couldve but i wouldve died just the same as i did when i decided to try my luck at the boat later. i understand Twiz has played the beta, as had i, but upon playing the "live" version, and actually getting a character above level 10 is where the true game begins, and is also where the game truly begins to shine. (as a side note i didnt "have" to have that stance, its just me and my desire to complete that quest that drove me to do it. it did add alot of depth to my character by havign completed that quest though.)

about the server queues, yeh i have heard this before also, and its still somewhat true during prime time on the weekend, on the first few servers in the game, however i have never had to wait in line. also in all fairness, be honest, how many times did TS (or whatever the zone of the month is atm, was Zek when i left) crash on you before the added instances? i think i lost count also. :wink: so as was said above, is how do the numbers truly come into play? i know our supervsion at work have this system of making numbers fit their agendas. :roll:

15. Twiz

Twiz Retired Captain

By instant gratification, I meant the ability to level to the top in quick order...but EQ2 is apparently trying to catch up to that tactic...they just increased experience gains yet again to hold peoples attention.

I do realize in any game that some folks will try the challenging things and aren't just in a grind to the top...but those folks seem few and far between...fortunately, there are a lot of them in TOG who actually enjoy the game instead of having to be and have the best of everything in the game (regardless of game).

I would speculate (only speculate, mind you, no actual research) that the average age of EQ2 players far surpasses the average age of WoW players (overall, not TOG) mainly for the "instant" gratification available.

And to the server question, if you remember there have been times when players have been prevented from making characters on EQ2 servers...I would guess at those times the servers were overpopulated--so instead of allowing creation and a queue, they just restricted adding characters.

We have just now had our first few TOGgers reach lvl 50 in EQ2 (who play a LOT). Reading the boards here, I believe WoW TOGgers had max levelled some characters long ago which kind of proves my point...at least to me :D ...

16. Smash

Smash Retired Admin

One big thing you guys are leaving out is playability. I would imagine that since you have to have a more robust computer and connection to play EQ2 that many people are playing WOW instead. I know from my beta exp with WOW that the graphics are very nice...in so far as the footprints and such are concerned, cant stand the bubbly cartoon look tho :(

Both games have merits, and both have a degree of longevity. I'm sure we'll have other burnouts from EQ2 check out WOW, and short of another BIG MMO to hit the streets we'll have some former EQ2ers come back after they have 4 level 50 toons in as many weeks ;) (sorry had to get a bit of a stab in) :D

People are ever moving around in TOG and thats one of the nice things about this community. Get sick of L2...go play EQ2....get sick of EQ2 go play WOW...need some fast action go play BFV or COD or AA. Always a group of friendly people you have something in common with :D (puts fanboi flag away).

hehe :twisted:

17. RedMan

RedMan Retired Advisor

Tis just SOE's promotion team in full swing.

I highly doubt EQII had anything to do with it. Some guy, that's never seen the game, has no idea what it is like, had to write up some promotional stuff.

People pissed about queues in WoW
    And server downtimes

Check

Email someone at EQII
    Any queues?
    Servers down that much?
    Oh, and what are you planning for the future?

Gets answers back

Reads over the EQII site, doesn't wanna look like a dick making a mistake about the game.

Writes up what you read.

From his/her point of view the state of EQ or WoW doesn't matter, as long as the job that he/she is supposed to do is done :D

Now, THAT all is completely derived. And, if Blizzard actually get around to doing the same thing I'd say it will be done in the same fashion. I have an inkling feeling though Blizzard is a more centralised company than SOE. Eitherway, pretty much all SOE promotional material for any game i've seen looks to be COMPLETELY detached from the game and just designed for marketing.

It just seems like the marketing team have a seperate job to the developers
    "hey, look, see, we had 1000's of people signing up, not our fault they didn't stay" *points to EQII team*

"But they LIED" *points to the marketers*

The article to me basically says
    They are in dispair
    We aren't
    We are doing new stuff
    Here's a freebie, here TAKE IT
    JOIN!!!

I was wondering what EQII was going to do to compare to the battlefields, saw some new 'consider' system or something. There was some other patch mentioned in the forums, though I think it was by a narrow thinking mind. Looks like they're advertising too :)

[ as a question, have they really done anything or have something on the boards to compete with WoW's new content, and thats out of interest, not competition, as said, I wouldn't believe anything marketers say :D
    New content on the boards for WoW
    Honour system (yes, was supposed to be there, wasn't, so we never officially bought it)
    Battlegrounds
    And 'contested territories'
    And just one or two new instances
    Improved party finding too.

All yet to come.
    ]

18. BlueMonday

BlueMonday Active Member

I find this an interesting comment, and one that is often heard around the traps. (And no this isn't sarcastic, just genuine interest).
    I've been playing WoW for maybe 3 weeks now, and I REALLY don't see how, unless you have no job, no family and no social life, that you can get a level 50 or 60 character in around a month (as I've heard a number of people say). I still think levelling seems to take a while, maybe not as long as Eq2, but its still no easy slodge through. I play Mon-Thursday nights, for a couple of hours and theres no way I will get 60 in a month.
    Am I missing the point or do these people just play eternally and grind away??

19. Bayle

Bayle Retired Captain

well i didnt want to respond yet again, but i also agree, either i have missed something, or it isnt true. i see no way at all of making lvl 60 in a month, much less bringing their alts up to that point also. i have been playing pretty solid about 3-4 hours a day, mainly using same toon, and i have netted lvl 34 ealier this week. thats not to say i couldnt have leveled even faster with a steady group, but i couldve reached lvl 50 early on in eq2 with a steady group as well, as i played even more in eq2, so much that i could barely do my job the next day... :roll:

20. Handa

Handa Well-Known Member

In a single word answer......propaganda. The VAST majority of people playing WoW know that leveling a toon to max (60) in a week is impossible without 18 hour days in a full group doing instances the entire time. Those that continuously present this as the "norm" for WoW are just buying into a line of BS without having played the game themselves beyond level 10-15. But, I guess if its said enough times, then it must be the truth :roll:

I have played WoW since release day and average more than 3 hours per day playing. My highest toon is level 41....ok, i know I alt hop more than average :).... and there is no way I could reach 60 within the next week with that toon even if I played it exclusively without a substantial increase in playing time. Sure the first 10 levels can be done in 5 - 8 hours, but I hit level 20 in EQ2 within the first 16 days of release. The "meat" of any game isn't experienced in the earliest levels. Its certainly true for EQ2 and also true for WoW.

I get kinda tired of hearing someone who hasn't done it complain about how easy something is. Try it first, then complain. There may be other things that someone may not like about WoW that are valid for that person's opinion (don't like PvP, graphics, UI, etc) but the "its too easy" line just doesn't hack it.