Elite Diary - First couple of weeks

Discussion in 'Elite: Dangerous (Public)' started by BoneInspector, Jun 13, 2017.

1. BoneInspector

BoneInspector Brains Staff Member Administrator Moderator

I'm hoping to document my first few days in VR Elite

Day 1: Training missions - Not too hard, flew, landed, jumped into hyperspace mined (yuck), bit of combat. Stuffed the combat because the tutorial said half my keys were unbound.

Day 2: Joined the Cahiry private group. Spawned in some backwater place and went to the mission board.
    Found me a data drop mission to a nearby star system, Great I thought.
    Launched, plotted my way to the system and couldn't get there because of course my pissy little drive is too small.
    Returned to starting spot and refulled (13 credits) after finally working it out.

Got onto chat with DigitalFog and learnt a whole lot (Galaxy map nav without mouse and in VR currently sucks)
    Frameshift drive capacity is a few menu layers down, nice and easy to find.
    Successfully flew to larger space station and landed with only 3 speed warnings.
    Got told to stop by wife and its bed time.

I am still flying my own spaceship and VR in this game is awesome.

Finnwe likes this.
  2. DextrousWeevil

DextrousWeevil Retired Captain

Don't worry about those speed warnings. Well unless you collide with another ship that is then you may cop a fine.

Power plant upgrade if you can and the all important fuel scoop. Been there done that not a pleasant end. Nobody will hear you .... sobbing.

3. BoneInspector

Day 3:

Spawn system had stuff all in missions, all the data running ones were too far away.

Flew to a new system and found a data recovery mission. 2 hours later I'm more confused than ever and 15k richer.

Stopping frameshift at right time still feels too hit and miss to me.
    Scanning stuff was difficult without knowning keybinds.
    Galaxy map still sucks without a mouse.

But - I'm still flying my own spaceship.

4. Cahiry

Cahiry Elite Dangerous Captain

Haven't you bound the map to you stick yet ?

Dropping out of supercruise takes some getting used to, once you work out the sweet spot with the throttle you will be fine. Won't try to tell you on here how it works, much better Utube vids out there that explain how to drop out and do plantety landings correctly then I can.

You put the scanner to a seperate weapon group and then just use the prime or 2nd fire for it, or get voice attack and just say "scan system " and no need to do anything morr

Last edited: Jun 15, 2017
  5. BoneInspector

Yeah, bound map to stick. Something is not right cos it still doesn't work properly.

throttle button for tab changes works a treat

6. Cahiry

Make sure your binding the axis and not the button up/ down

7. paradroid

paradroid Well-Known Member

For dropping out of Supercruise, I have a key (toggle switch actually) bound to 75% throttle, hit that when you are 7 seconds out, will slow you down nicely until you are in range to drop out of SC.

8. BoneInspector

Day 3

digitalfog tried to multi crew with me, no success but seems like a potential way to earn credits for a new player.

Found a bounty mission for 150k, successfully found and killed with df help. Picked up another 50k for the kill too.

All cashed up with 200k to my name.

Found the speed and distance indicator in the cockpit and mostly mastered frame shift now. Keep it blue it seems.

9. Coneman

Coneman Well-Known Member

If it helps for super cruise drop out timing, I do the following:

• Non-planetary: Approach at full speed until arrival time to loc is 0:08. At that point slow down a little till you get to 0:06 and then keep it at that till you are within range to drop out (mostly 1k km but can be up to 10km in some cases).
    • Planetary: As for non-planetary till you get close to the body (25Mm ish) and then slow to about 0:08-0:10 ish. Try to approach the location at about a 35o angle (aim ship past target if angle low or before it if too high till you get the destination lining up to around 35o). This should drop you above the station and within the 7.5km comms range.

Doing this I only overshoot destinations when I get distracted :)

Have fun and maybe see you tomorrow night. I think we are going to try and do some conflict zone stuff to help Starjack get the engineering materials needed. These are a bit tough for earlier ships but I can add up to two people in multi crew to fly my small fighters I have in my corvette - so happy enough to do that also.

10. Cahiry

11. BoneInspector

Day 4:

Bought a Cobra MK III.

Cahiry joined in Multicrew.
    Started shooting a NPC fighter, discovered my multicrew gunner sucks and couldn't fire cannons.

Died, respawned with 10k credits to my name after insurance.

Few missions later and I am back to 300k, slight headache from the rift and heading to bed.

12. Cahiry

I worked out Multi crew gunner, apparently i need to set up fire groups when i join.

13. BoneInspector

Day 4:

multicrew with Coneman and others, flying around in a fighter from a corvette. Good fun but the corvette meant it was a farming mission rather than a proper battle.

Launching a fighter in vr is amazing and returning to the main ship is a nice touch.
    After an hour of this and destroying many wanted pilots I returned to my cobra and ran two missions, jumping 7 systems, which is the longest yet.

Now have a fine in some backwater system I will have to sort out eventually and a slightly upgraded ship with a fuel scoop.

14. BoneInspector

Day 4:

multicrew with Coneman and others, flying around in a fighter from a corvette. Good fun but the corvette meant it was a farming mission rather than a proper battle.

Launching a fighter in vr is amazing and returning to the main ship is a nice touch.
    After an hour of this and destroying many wanted pilots I returned to my cobra and ran two missions, jumping 7 systems, which is the longest yet.

Now have a fine in some backwater system I will have to sort out eventually and a slightly upgraded ship with a fuel scoop.

15. BaRRaS

BaRRaS Well-Known Member

Sounds as though you are slowly getting into the game, earning credits and upgrading ships....:) Any thoughts on personal preferences yet - combat vs trading vs exploration?

.....and you're flying a spaceship, (actually sitting in it; being part of the game - not watching it on a flat screen in front of you)!!! :D:D:D:p:D

16. BoneInspector

Yes, it's entertaining.

Not it sure on role yet, probably all the things

Last edited: Jun 21, 2017
  17. paradroid

paradroid Well-Known Member

Regarding the fine in a backwater system, there are agents in some systems that will let you pay fines and collect bounties for other systems.

Yamazaki Landing in Wise 0855-0714 is the nearest station to my area of operations that has one, it's near Sol and Alpha Centauri, handy for when you have those bounties that you can't work out where the faction is.

From memory they charge a 25% hit on the bounty or fine.

18. Coneman

Coneman Well-Known Member

That's right. Pretty sure they are in independent and lower security systems in station contacts. Interstellar something-or-other...

19. BoneInspector

Last day of week 2.

jumped in and ran a few missions, ranging out further than before to some new places.

Picked Ed up a delivery mission to a new system, couldn't find the drop off point to start with.

Figured out out it was a 3 sun system that had the suns about 40k light seconds apart and my pitiful basic scanner didn't pick up the planets orbiting the other suns.

1/2 hour of flying about and I found the spot ok.

1.5 mil for ultimate scanner is almost more than my entire ship.

Thinking To get an explorer ship, fancy scanner and go hit up all systems within 100ly for a while so I never need worry about locations again but that sounds painful.

20. Cahiry

Once you get some cash just add the advanced Stella scanner to your everyday ship, they use bigger all power and low slots and scan every system you jump through.