Elite: Dangerous

Discussion in 'RPG, Simulation, Strategy and Others' started by KosPilot, Dec 29, 2012.

1. Cromulent

Cromulent Active Member

I backed this, but not at a high enough level to get into the alpha or beta. Looking forward to it though. Between Elite and Star Citizen, we should at least get one good open world space sim.

2. KosPilot

KosPilot Well-Known Member

In the first introduction of Elite: Dangerous, I seem to remember something about procedural generation of universe and planets, allowing the game creators to produce galaxies with millions of star systems.
    We are pretty much guarantied an open world right there, and it follows in the tradition of Braben's earlier creations. I am not sure how that translates into MP mode.

3. aaarghhh

aaarghhh Just Joined

Gotta agree with you KosPilot, hopefully there will be more places to get lost/explore/exploit etc. I remember in the original version of elite aka on the BBC 1985-86, there were seven different galaxies you could warp too. Just one galaxy alone was massive in scale with hundreds if not thousands of planets. And they (Bell & Braben) thought seven galaxies would be sufficient! Huge.

4. Cromulent

Cromulent Active Member

I don't think I ever played the original Elite, but I played Frontier, and I remember being amazed at the time that it had around 100 billion star systems, and yet the entire game was about 500 KB in size and fit on a single floppy.

5. aaarghhh

aaarghhh Just Joined

Lol, Not just one all on one disc, it came with a novella (book) as well. It just goes to show, size doesn't matter, *lol* it was all about the game play.

6. KosPilot

KosPilot Well-Known Member

I had forgotten all about the printed material!
    Check HERE!

7. aaarghhh

aaarghhh Just Joined

Happy that TrackIR will be compatible.

8. C4

C4 Retired Captain

https://elite.frontier.co.uk/
    Completely forgot about this game, noticed I had access to premium beta.

9. Ballad

Ballad Star Citizen Officer

10. Sysmon

Sysmon World of Warcraft Captain -= SILVER Patreon =-

Alpha 4 is pretty fun, if buggy. I scooted around a bit on Supercruise and checked out anomalies, found one that was just a bunch of cargo floating about, so played the cargo scoop minigame for a little while - a Sidewinder has a really small cargo hold...

I then figured out the hyperdrive targeting and went to the Beagle 2 Landing station, and after quite a bit of fumbling about, figured out how to get docking clearance, then coast to the alloted bay and landed the boat.

While I was looking through station options for what to do (buy/sell/upgrade etc), my ship 'fell' out of the station, leaving the controls behind apparently, as if my point of reference for velocity changed from the station to the sun... Game was effectively locked up. Pretty major bug, but I had a good time until then.

Considering how buggy First Encounters was at first, this is pretty promising for a late Alpha. I do remember the point of reference bug from earlier, and hope they get it fixed this time round...

:D S

11. Gho2t993

Gho2t993 Just Joined

Elite : dangerous seem like good game to be addict.

12. C4

C4 Retired Captain

Premium beta is out now, another 10k testers :)

Downloading the update as I type this :)

13. DangerMouse

DangerMouse Well-Known Member

Just played my first multiplayer game after setting up my controls:

Decided to try to dock, its harder than it looks at first... bought some fuel and then took off again, to find out that there was a wanted pilot flying in the station!

Because they were pretty badly damaged from being attacked by the station I managed to kill them with my little pulse laser.... only to be wanted myself, I must have hit the station or something!

Made a run for it and jumped to iBootis... only to get intercepted by a Cobra. I tried making a run for it, but it was a TRAP!!! Another Cobra came out of no-where!!! I was 40KM from the station, trying to dodge the lasers... but in the even they blew me up!!!

14. 2_islands

2_islands Lead Administrator Staff Member Administrator Moderator

I played on the Sinclair Spectrum. Great game. I look forward to playing the final version.

15. Sysmon

I cannot recommend even having the hardpoints up in the No Fire Zone near the stations, and they get especially upset if you fire at anything.

Beta game seems quite stable compared to Alpha 4.03. And docking is easier. Keep the nose pointed at the control tower and lower the craft until it clicks onto the landing pad. Remember landing gear, of course (I often forget).

I'm still in the Sidewinder, it is great for running away from everything. For example, going to the one anarchic system we can get to at the moment means several interdictions along the way. All power then goes to engines, throttle on full, and I hit the boost button as fast as the engines can recharge. Then it is only a matter of seconds and the random laser blast before I can hit Supercruise again.

Space for 4 cargo cannisters means slow trading, of course. But as soon as I can afford some gimballed lasers I hope to be able to partake in skirmishes. Although I'll probably keep spending too much time sightseeing to ever make money in this game...

Last edited: Jun 3, 2014
  16. shabbyj

shabbyj Getting Started

I got the beta down at the weekend. Didn't have much chance to play with it properly, but what I did see brought back many happy memories. :)

17. MMOGAddict

MMOGAddict Well-Known Member

I'm very impressed with what I've seen and played to date.

18. Sysmon

Premium Beta phase 2 promises some added star systems, so we can get away from the somewhat crowded systems we have to play with at the moment. Of course, it is really only the starting area that is crowded at the moment. I've spent many lonely moments in the conflict zones of the Dahan system without seeing a single other player.

19. C4

C4 Retired Captain

Premium Beta phase 2 is now out, requires a new installer.

20. Sysmon

Yep I downloaded it yesterday, haven't gotten to play it yet. Nice amount of whining on the Frontier forums about it. I look forward to see the new systems and the new space stations.