Dungeons and Dragons Online

Discussion in 'MMORPG Games: The Realms' started by FRIENDLYUNIT, Sep 3, 2009.

1. FRIENDLYUNIT

FRIENDLYUNIT Well-Known Member

Hi,
    So, after a casual trawl I've seen nothing on these boards about DDO, which has gone free to play and is released next week.

Home | Dungeons & Dragons Online

I had a go in the beta and was wondering if any TOG members were going to give it a go.

2. caseyzero

caseyzero Just Joined

I played it for about a year after it was released. It's awesome if you have a steady, well-designed group. Pick-up groups were a nightmare, and soloing was next to impossible. Turbine really hates soloing. I think soloing might have killed its grandmother or something.

I'm getting the new version downloaded now, and I'll give it a try. If it's a bit more solo-friendly, or a bit more accomodating of random pick-up groups, I'll probably stick around a while, maybe even subscribe. Otherwise, I'll look around for a good regular group that can play the free content once a week or so.

-c.

3. Nish

Nish Active Member

I havent played it yet, but ut does look interesting. I think i will download it and try out a dwarven cleric on the free content to give it ago.

4. FRIENDLYUNIT

FRIENDLYUNIT Well-Known Member

Just a thought.

5. Reoh

Reoh Well-Known Member

I tried it out a long time ago, but being somewhat of a soloist I wasn't a huge fan, add on how much I hated how AD&D did spellcasters (memorising spells etc) and I didn't stick with it past the trial am sorry to admit.

6. Nish

Nish Active Member

I tried creating an account but all i get is err: 20006 missing product key. Anyone know where i find out the product key from the download ?

7. GiantDave7

GiantDave7 Getting Started

New registrations are closed until the game launches fully on the 9th, try again then.

At the moment the game is only open to previous subscribers and those that participated in the closed beta.

And yes, its good :)

8. RedlineJunkie

RedlineJunkie Getting Started

I've been playing for a few days, got a Ranger/Rogue level 3. Having a blast, I like the new starter area (Korthos?). I don't remember it from the last time I played, which was probably nearly 2 years ago. One question though, shouldn't I have received Turbine Points for the favor on my old character? I logged him in to see if I'd get any, but I didn't.

9. Nish

Nish Active Member

Only a couple of days to go before i can sign up and give it a bash.

Does anyone here play on any particular server?

10. GiantDave7

GiantDave7 Getting Started

I ran a search on the forums and a couple of other places looking to see if there was a community preffered oceanic server but couldn't find anything so I logged on to Khyber.

I dare say that with the F2P model there shouldn't be any issues with finding groups (I hope) but it would be nice to have a nominated TOG server for anyone that wants to log on and have a look.

I nominate Khyber! :D lol

Gotta say I've really been enjoying it. the way the game is structured its really easy to simply log on if you only have 15 minutes to play, get through a short dungeon and log off and still achieve something.

Good incentive in the game to go back to old quests and play them again too.

In short, loving it as a F2P model and I can definately see myself throwing some cash in for points at various stages.

I reckon this one is going to be occupying space on my HDD for some time to come.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2009
  11. Nish

Nish Active Member

Its the 9th today and guess what? (yes i did allow for timezone differences)
    No D&DO, with no response in their forums on when it will be open. None of the shop links to the Turbine website work, and the my account setup still requires a product key to sign up with (which is not provided).

I must say i am quiet disappointed at this. Ill just keep trying daily till i can get on.

12. caseyzero

caseyzero Just Joined

Nish, I don't know if this applies to you, but some accounts are unable to contact the servers. The devs have set up a thread for it. I'm currently able to log in and play.

dgeraghty, I have characters on Cannith, Argonnessen, and Sarlona (formerly Aerenal), but the early leveling is so fast that anyone who wants one can have a level 2 character within a few hours. :cool:

-c.

13. C4

C4 Retired Captain

Its released to the general public... I am gonna try this out!
    For those in aus Internode is hosting the client

14. Ashin

Ashin Retired Administrator

I'm downloading this now. I did like the beta but it was harsh on solo players. I am going to give it another try and see where it landed since beta.

15. Nish

Nish Active Member

C4 that is good news. I will be jumping on tonight for sure and creating a character. I have decided to join the Khyber server as suggested by dgeraghty, as this will mean will be at least one other West Aussie TOG player there that i can hit up for group when its required :p

16. C4

C4 Retired Captain

Server: Khyber
    Charname: Karlil Zarkonen

17. Markan

Markan Retired Administrator

I actually dabbled in the beta of DDO in its new F2P mode and they claim to have done a lot with hirelings etc to help the soloability. Overall I rather liked it although I found it quite complex! In my day D&D was simple; where did all these classes and skills come from mutter.… mutter... :)

18. Nish

Nish Active Member

Finally up and running. My details are:

Name: CrylNish Hral
    Class: Cleric
    Race: Dwarf

will TOG be looking making an official guild for this game?

19. brohawk

brohawk Retired Captains

the hirelings looked a bit expensive since they were one use, or if you buy them they stay with you now forever?

20. Bruin

Bruin Getting Started

Name: Bruinn
    Class: Paladin

I plan on playing this for awhile considering its a free to play game and a very good one at that. I actually owned the previous (hard copy) of it but discontinued playing due do better options.

If you guys want to hook up in game lemme know, we could at least form an informal guild for the storage, communication etc.

Bru