Dungeon and Dragons Online: Stormreach

Discussion in 'MMORPG Games: The Realms' started by MaeEye, Jan 19, 2006.

1. MaeEye

MaeEye Just Joined

Are you guys ready? Make sure you download your clients and free preview of the game today at fileplanet. Get your patches ready. I believe tomorrow is the first day of the open preview of the game (I guess that means we will be able to play with other people in game when they say preview). I sure hope this game is what I'm expecting, I liked the old PnP style. Just so you guys know about it. Hope to see you ingame, if that's what the preview is about :rolleyes:

MaeEye

2. Ijs

Ijs Well-Known Member

Free preview sounds a lot like 'open beta', eh? Or is it like D&L's S.O.G. 'preview'?

3. MaeEye

MaeEye Just Joined

I'm hoping it's an Open beta...since it's coming out in like 2 months. I also heard them call it a "Stress test." So I think we'll be able to actually log in and play the game. *shrugs*

4. BattleTank

BattleTank Just Joined

Impressions so far

Well I'm a couple of days into the 10 day preview. Not to bad so far. It may be a bit to 'Twitchy' for me, but I think I will give it a try.

I did read that game-pads are supported so that may be the ticket instead of mouse and keyboard. Guess I will be picking one up tonight and giving it a try.

One of the things I do like is the many different armor variations. I have received 4 pieces of Half Plate armor and they have all been different. Makes character differentiation easier. The initial character customization is somewhat lacking.

5. Smash

Smash Retired Admin

no, the initial character creation sucks and is the only really bad game flaw I've found. DDO's a grower...first day or two your thinking "this sucks" then it gets to "wow this is pretty cool" LOL.

6. Bill

Bill Getting Started

Hey gang. Been away for about 4 months. Real life issues! Have tested both the stress test and the preview, and bought 2 copies of the preorder DDO. One for me and one for my daughter. I agree with Smash. At first, it's a bit twitchy, but after you play it for a bit and get into town, it gets good. Also, once you realize that you won't have 13 year olds powerlevelling and then just antagonizing the crap out of you, it makes it more fun as well. The days of camping mobs are over. You don't get exp unless you complete the quests, and this game really relies on having the proper combination of team and skillsets. The voice chat also makes it fun, although, as I remember it, we have ongoing heated arguments with each other as to whether or not to use ventrilo or teamspeak. You need to have all your focus on your controls in battle as it is real time, not just hit a button and walk away. You need to maneuver and flank and not just battle it out in autofight.

Anyway, enough of the praises for it, do we have a server that TOG is playing on regularly? I am in day one of the 10day preview but I understand that we will be able to carry our characters forward into the real game, so I want to be with the old gang if possible.

Smash, good to see you're still here.

7. jmontgomca

jmontgomca Getting Started

Have a beta account, been playing on and off for the last month.
    Haven't done any group questing just soloing a variety of characters.
    Look forward to more people from the guild playing.
    Don't have any keeper players to post yet.

8. MaeEye

MaeEye Just Joined

I played through the Preivew and will have to say....what's new? lol

I've played BG1/2, I've played NwN. What is keeping me from not buying this game and just sticking with the others. I do not think I will be getting this game. It was a bit fun, but in retrospect I'd rather play for free on NwN...plus NwN2 is coming soon. Oh well, was fun while I played it.

Right now I'm looking at RF Online. I hope this is a good one.

9. Cerebrix

Cerebrix Well-Known Member

played the beta. combat just isnt very fun. sure the skill system is there, but its not that fun.

the quality of programming is horrible i thought as well. the animations are REALLY bad, ive seen mods for half life w/ better animations done by hobbiests.

it might be an ok game if youre really into d and d. but theres no friggin way this game is worth paying monthly for. i think guild wars does everything its trying to do, and then some, and then some more. and does it without a monthly fee.

10. JuJutsu

JuJutsu Getting Started

I'm about 1/2 way through my 10 day preview. I'm not thrilled with the character art. I must respectfully disagree about DDO compared to Guild Wars. The PvE component of Guild Wars was weak. Since I don't like PvP it didn't hold my attention very long.

The big weakness I see with DDO is lack of content down the road. As it is, there aren't enough quests to hit the initial level cap of 10 without lots of repeating. I hope they have lots of content in their pocket for post release...

11. DrkReaper

DrkReaper Just Joined

Hi guys I am a bit new to you sight saw a bunch of posts in DDO and thought I would yack at ya .
    I play EVE EQ2 & wow at the moment although not so mutch wow am looking to get into playing with adults in DDo and maby join a corp in EVE
    DDo isnt a bad game and I have talked to a player who was holding dnd trivia during preview ..he told me that there was 2 big patches to beta befor release and more content on a monthly schedule . lv gain 1 lv per month.

12. txamin

txamin Getting Started

Hello, I plyed the beta for about 2 days.
    I think the game is technically good, but simply not very fun. The 'interactive' combat is not that fun after a while, and the forced grouping is a bad decision. On the other hand, the quests seems to be carefully scripted, wich add a bit to the immersion in the game.

However, while i was playing, I didn't have the feeling I was playing a MMORPG, but something more like Guild Wars, so I don't think I'll be paying a monthly fee for it.

13. Tularian

Tularian Getting Started

I preordered DDO and played with Cerebrix a bit with some quest its actually fun when you use the ingame Teamspeak and use strategies and such and see them work. BUT and its a big BUT I dont think I will be playing this game when its released. Main reason being you will burn through all the content in less than 3 weeks. Right now this game isn't worth it(even though I wanna do that Dragon quest) but given a few more months with constant updates I will probably pick it up as one of those games you activate for a month at a time a sort of like a secondary game.

Tularian

14. Hardrock

Hardrock Just Joined

DDO?! Sign me up!!!

Hi there TOGgers!! I just got the green light to join earlier today. I would like to start my first post by letting everyone know how much I appreciate the warm welcome. I had EIGHT posts (from people I'd never even talked to) just say welcome prior to even being accepted. I liked that alot. Makes me feel good to know I will soon be gaming with polite, mature and very friendly folks! Thank you.

My wife and I have both pre-ordered copies of DDO and have been participating in the stress tests and beta. I know it has some qwerks but I am going to play this game for three very important reasons (well okay... important reasons to me) LOL.

First, the game promotes team play. In fact, it sounds like it is going to be a required component. I don't much care for PvP. It has been my experience that people don't like their characters dying for any reason and generally are not mature enough about it to say, "Oh wow. Nice kill. You got me... good job… and the like". Instead it usually devolves into the immature name calling and inane chatter that I have to get onto my children to stop doing in real life. If I want to listen to children argue, I don’t even need to turn on my PC.

Second, you can not power level this game. Grinding isn’t an option. The only way to earn XP is through completed quests. Is character progression going to be slower than some other MMORPGs? Yes. Will it force you to be social and nice to your fellow gamers since you will need certain skills for certain quests? Yes. Will you have to put up with a bajillion (that’s a lot of zeroes folks) immature 12 year olds stabbing you in the back to walk over your still warm corpse to kill steal your target for the XP so he can continue on his power leveling frenzy?!? NO!!! Can I get an amen?!?

One life lesson that I had to learn the hard way is that the best part of life is truly in the journey not the destination. I don’t care how quick someone can get to level 60 in WOW. If you didn’t enjoy getting there then what’s the point? I am going to enjoy every old school dungeon crawl, every old school trap, and watching every old school class in D&D get their 15 minutes to shine each and every time I log into DDO!

Third (and most importantly)…. I will be playing this game because it is Dungeons and Dragons! It is the Alpha and Omega of RPG-dom! It is what we all got hooked on back in the day. It is going to harken back to a less complicated time when we were able to grab some dice, character sheets, graph paper and pencils and escape all life’s crap for awhile. Anyone out there feeling me on this one?!? Are there prettier games out there? Maybe. But none that are going to be able to take me back to childhood like this one…

Do we have a TOG Division Captain working on organizing a TOG guild for DDO? Turbine has promised players some nice in game goodies for those players that log and form guilds in the two day head start… It’d be a shame if we missed out! Can’t wait to meet more of you and hopefully I will get a chance to game with you soon!

Take care all,

Will a.k.a. Hardrock

15. Aarondor

Aarondor Getting Started

I second the notion that power-gamers (not really a bad term, just a classification, really) will not like this game.

I further second the notion that more mature gamers will love this game (quest completion vs. constant grinding requires more team work, better social skills, and less l33tness).

Finally, those of us, who still try to squeez in time for games, and have families will really appreciate the ability to log in, finish a quest or two and log out. You can really get something done in a couple hours, vs. 5 or 6 (travel time in EQ anyone?)

I have been in a couple stress test events and the 10 day pre-view. This is the only game, where I have actually seen legitimate reason to have a mixed party. It's not all about maximizing damage per second or per round. Every class has skills to use, beyond combat. EQ, EQ2, EQOA, WoW, CoH, and GW, all tried but failed, because these games were all about doing damage and healing damage.

DDO has real traps! It has real hidden doors, chests, etc... Rogues aren't classified as a DD or melee...they're classified as trap busters, scouts, lock smiths, etc...Paladins aren't secondary Tanks...

What's not to love?

Soloing, when you don't have time to group, is very difficult past level 2 or 3.

Graphically less appealing than EQ2, but better or on par with WoW and CoH. GW has better special effects...but is that going to kill your desire to play the game?

I look forward to seeing you all online on whatever server we choose :)

16. Finsbury

Finsbury Active Member

I've only spent a couple of hours in beta, but pretty impressed with it so far. I thought it very immersive and really did remind me of those lunchtime and after-school sessions of the old p&p variants. It really suits my playstyle too, with no camping for some drop or boss. The only thing that bothers me a little is with Codemasters having the exclusive Euro distribution rights, I'm assuming there's no option of joining US servers with the Euro client. I haven't read anything official yet, but this usually means they make it quite hard to register an account in the opposing territory too if you decide to import a copy.

Anyone read anything official on this yet, or are there plans to possibly have TOG guilds on both US and Euro servers? (not that I'm a member yet, but hopeful :))

17. Dars183

Dars183 Retired Moderator

18. Stewmeat

Stewmeat Active Member

I'm in beta too. I actually like this one, it's different from the cookie cutter MMOS (IMO) you see nowadays...

19. branebanger

branebanger Just Joined

howdy

first post here, any one planning on starting DDO during the early access? If so it would be great to start out a new journey with some new folks.

brane

20. Setzer_Gabbiani

Setzer_Gabbiani Just Joined

Hey what's up I'm looking for access to the DDO forum as well can't wait to get in early on the 24th with some fellow guildmates. From my beta period I decided to go with a Human Wizard with a starting build of 8/14/8/18/8/14. Crowd control is a real life saver in some of those dungeons, and I love the flexibility wizard provides. Drop me a line if you want to talk about the game.

-Setzer