Dragon Age Origins

Discussion in 'RPG, Simulation, Strategy and Others' started by C4, Jul 9, 2009.

1. Spectre8

Spectre8 Retired Administrator

Intro as a Human bloke Rogue - pretty cool opening story! :)

Look forward to trying some of the other starts :p

2. Moza

Moza Lord of the Rings Online Officer

There is a lot of posts here and a lot of good info. It also seems to me that there is a fair few of us playing DA:O.

What do folks think about requesting a dedicated forum for DA:O? :D

That way when those that have played through and want to post a review, it won't get buried in 160+ thread.

With it's own forum we could then make as many threads as we liked on whatever topic of the game we wanted to discuss.

I also think it would be great to have a section on the TOG Wiki with static info, tips, spoilers, walkthroughs and links.

I'm happy to forum/wiki set up and admin if folks think this is a good idea.
    If enough folks want this I will make a request to Admin to have a forum created.
    Let me know what you all think. :)

3. Benicio

Benicio Well-Known Member

I just tried that start - weakest opening story for me. Mage story is my fav by far.

4. C4

C4 Retired Captain

For those interested in this game steam has a sale on, but its not going to last long.

Dragon Age: Origins $37.49
    Dragon Age: Origins Deluxe Edition $48.74

That's basically the Deluxe for the regular price.

5. Spectre8

Yeah, pity about that - missed it by two days!! :D

But hey, it's worth the money already.

6. misterbear

misterbear Well-Known Member

About 17 hours, 45 minutes to go on the sale!
    I picked up the vanilla edition last night, would've liked the deluxe but money's super-tight at the moment. Just $40.55AUD was too good to pass up - just need to find the time to get into it!

7. Justin Kace

Justin Kace Retired Captain

Just finished my first run through tonight. Main story line quest completed and I only did 49% of the game! Took me more than 50 hours not including reloads (I guess).

I really love how the game has moments where it forces you to make unpleasant decisions. And the characters are just top notch. I really actually liked some of my characters and didn't want to piss them off because of that, not just because I wanted to keep them on the team.

Time to try another class, and play as an ass. :)

8. Spectre8

Hasn't grabbed me yet. Lit the beacon and have made my way into town - but to be honest, I'm (so far) left feeling totally flat about it all.

If it wasn't for the rave reviews and repeat playthrough's you guys are talking about - I'd have given up already... but I shall persevere!! :)

I remember reading similar things about Oblivion, had a copy given to me, so tried it out. After hearing how good the graphics were, and how open the game was - I was massively disappointed to begin with - until I exited the sewers!! My god that turned around for me!! :D

While I'm not expecting anything like that with DA:O, I'm hoping it'll grow on me...

9. Jigoku

Jigoku Retired Captain

Yeah it picks up from there Spec ... at least in my experience (=

10. Bawheidbob

Bawheidbob Well-Known Member

Strange how different people react to games, i myself drifted away from the game after i lit the beacon, up to then i thought game was amazing.

11. Erebos

Erebos Active Member

I am on my 4th play throe now. (Plan to try out all 6 origins) and I still found something new. The meritor random encounter... it has been a long time since I have seen such a painfully obvious reference to a movie. It is properly linked to the soldiers peek DLC.

12. Doxxan

Doxxan Active Member

Finished my first playthrough last night. Completely awesome story, felt really sad that it had to end.

There's more to it of course, as everyone else have mentioned there are several no-good-answer branches in the story. Coupling the choices my dwarf had to make, with his background (caste-less), and how it all ends, I portrayed my hero as being somewhat troubled after it all, not really finding his place in things. Splendid! The only other game (in recent years) that got me to actually live my character was Mass Effect.

Funny thing, DA made me want to read books again, who'dathunkit :p

Moza likes this.
  13. Rhumor

Rhumor Getting Started

I just finished my first play through as a Mage/bloodmage/arcane warrior. It's amazing how awesome that character was. By the end of the game he was so powerful I was basically soloing the darkspawn invasion. Blizzard+deathcload+blood wound+virulent walking bomb+fireball = massive aoe. I started out on Normal but shortly after Redcliffe I switched to Hard setting.

I only completed 60% of the game on my first try, so I decided to start another character. Playing a city elf rogue this time around. Playing on nightmare setting and to be honest, it doesn't seem much harder. I think the only thing different is you take more damage from friendly fire so I have to be more aware when my party members AI tells them to go run into a blizzard.

One odd thing I noticed about the game with my mage. No one seemed to mind that I was a blood mage. I played thru with Alistair as my tank the whole game and once Wynne became available she was a constant companion, as well as Lelaine. All three of them or religious types and whole heartedly against blood mages, except me. I guess I'm special. I'm thinking of making Wynne a blood mage my next play thru. I think Spirit Healer/ Blood Mage would be a nice combo.

Btw, those of you dreaming of DA:O eventually adding in multiplayer, don't hold your breath. From what I hear it's not going to happen. Here's a link to a post from one of the designers:

Dragon Age Central: FAQ, Information & More

Personally, I wish there would be multiplayer. Things would have to be changed, understandably. The only thing this guy mentions I don't agree with is the pause function. If I'm playing this game and 3 other people are controlling the other characters in the party there is no need for a pause function. The only thing I can think of that could possibly happen is thru the toolset being able to host private servers of custom made multiplayer modules.

14. Rickrocket

Rickrocket Just Joined

I've got a mage whose got the mage circle on my side and completed Redcliffe so far.

But I get so fed up of so many cut scenes and blah blah blah npc talking options. At first it was great. But now when I enter a town I find it boring, I'm not actually doing anything other than listening to a story. I buy books to read not games!

The game is alot of fun other than the story telling. Maybe I just need to be in the right frame of mind to play or listen in my case.

15. brohawk

brohawk Retired Captains

well I just bought the digital deluxe version from Stardock, and my first impressions are this is an impressive game, plus I got it for a little less than the regular version. :)

16. Bawheidbob

Bawheidbob Well-Known Member

17. TheDozarian

TheDozarian Getting Started

I've enjoyed it so far. I admit it was a little slow in the beginning. I worked past that and now I love it. I've been torn because I get so little gaming time. Do I play Dragon Age? Do I play Borderlands? Do I play Champions? Do I play Fallen Earth? After the CO burnout, it's been FE mostly lately... But I feel another round comin' soon... The characters are memorable, some moreso than others.

But it's a great game... One that all fans of RPG's should play...

18. Chief

Chief Retired Captain

19. Dressy

Dressy Guest

Now this is a leet game. Brought it the other day on steam after reading all the positive reviews (brought Deluxe). The game has me involved in the storyline like never before. Its amazing, sure, the cut scenes can go on sometimes, but its just chock full of story. Ive been playing on normal with an Elf mage and have found no difficulty so far. Gets hard at times for sure, though generally just hard enough.

20. Spectre8

Question for those who play other BioWare games: Does DA feel very much like their other games?

I bought KOTOR on Steam during the big sale, and I've got to say I'm amazed at how similar they were... Not sure if it's just me, or if it's just these two titles, but would like some other opinions please :D

Just to clarify - the similarities are in the character creation setup, the combat and even the view mechanics and controls. To be blunt, DA feels exactly like KOTOR to me, but with swords and dwarves rather than lightsabres and stormtroopers.