Do we lack community spirit?

Discussion in 'Secret Squirrel Console Club House (Private, Hidde' started by Pure Mongrel, May 19, 2010.

1. Pure Mongrel

Pure Mongrel Retired Captain

Hi guys,

I got this message from TTU VAPOR:

I responded with:

Then I sent this (as I had not really woken up yet ;))

Your thoughts?

Last edited: May 19, 2010
  2. Ancient_One

Ancient_One Console Manager Captain

Only that he's right. :(

I think it's been mentioned before that only a few people actually contribute to the forum much in the same way only a few people make comments in the Lounge.

People have their lives to lead and gaming is second to that and I understand that as well. The frequency of game releases impacts greatly on the number of people who stick to a game for a long time as well.

MAG being the primary example appeared to have legs but within a few weeks BFBC2 came out and people split. Now only a few die hard players remain. It's harder and harder each week to field any sort of team or to excite people to play.

Time zones have another impact on who is available.

The smaller the division the harder it is to get people to play with each other at the same time.

Another thing which might have switched off a few overseas players is us Aussies. At one point it was all about Aussie release dates, Aussie play times etc. Maybe we are just more enthusiastic is all or that their are more of us on.

Do we know how many overseas forum users we have in the Console Division?

Would the implementation of SL's from overseas help with this situation?

3. Pure Mongrel

I just received this message:

4. Pure Mongrel

I know getting members together has been hard, but I just don't know what more we can do?

In fact the more I do, the less time I have to play, so I hope this has not all been for nothing? (I suspect it has been like this for a lot of us ... anyone seen Cadder online of late?). I have not sat down and played a game for more than 20min in over a month myself.

I do think more regional Squad Leaders is the answer, but I don't think being too Aussie is the problem though. It's not like we have stopped anyone from listing prices, deals or play sessions from their region have we?

If we (regulars) did not post, then this would be a very quiet division. I am not sure I subscribe to the fact that we are not very "community" either. Those of us that are active have the whole division at heart.

We have grown heaps and we get a hell of a lot of regular visitors that don't say anything ... but they keep coming back. There must be a reason? When I logged on today our division had over 30 guest visitors ... which was about 25 more visitors then the next highest division.

We don't have the luxury of having one central game to tie us together like an MMO or one shooter. We work with a "way" more casual gamer that changes their mind on what to play on a daily basis it seems.

Players will always "leave" a game for another title that catches their fancy, or real world commitments, and I will never condemn anyone for that.

That is the nature of console gaming. It is why we don't have specific sub folders for games, even for AAA titles. Interest in any one game never lasts that long.

This being said, I am very surprised we have never had a HALO clan. This is still the most played game on XBL and every time it has been mentioned, deafening silence has been the only response.

I think we are doing a great job with the cards we have been dealt, and while I am always open to new suggestions and directions, I am proud of what all of us have achieved so far. I can't thank you guys enough! Anyone that wants to show us how to do it better is welcome to try ;)

I hope my rambling is making some sense (and not offending anyone ;)), I am just soooo tired right now. ROFLMAO

5. George

George Retired Captain

I was looking last night and in my time zone there were 21 visitors and me. Pretty good if you ask me.

Edit: There must be something wrong as i now see 34 visitors + me !

Last edited: May 20, 2010
  6. Fall-Of-Enosis

Fall-Of-Enosis Well-Known Member

Dont stress too much Mongrel I think the division is fine. We are a small niche in (lets face it) a largely PC community. We can't compare ourselves with the rest of TOG.

Think if we had our own site. We would have a full website full of individual game forums as well! We do the best we can with the cards we have. Ya know?