Distractionary quests

Discussion in 'Elder Scrolls Online (Public)' started by Thymos, Feb 4, 2014.

1. Thymos

Thymos Retired Captain

This is an interesting feature that this game will have.

Gamers Will Find Much to Love in The Elder Scrolls Online

Bryan Wheeler, a lead in the PvP development has commented:

Now the only information I could find on the distractionary quests was this:

That's the best way someone has described it in detail. I've seen shorter descriptions, but this was probably the best. Taken from *** Official Elder Scrolls MMO Thread *** - Overclockers UK Forums

This is probably one of the coolest features to be put into a MMO. I am glad ESO is going to use it. I could easily see myself running with some of you guys and we go on our way to turn in a quest and on the way spot a cave. Let's pop in, clear it out and get some loot. Oh that took too long, we'll turn in the quest tomorrow.

Last edited: Feb 4, 2014
  2. Evangelian

Evangelian Getting Started

This is why i love the ES games, the getting sidetracked by various little quests that lead to you to exploring new areas and gathering more stuff and killing more stuff that leads to a new quest and all of a sudden you forget what you were doing to start with.....breathe.....

Not super convinced by how this will work. Having played Rift and watched helplessly as rift events ran riot over under populated zones because noone could be bothered to close them gives me some cause for concern. I guess i will find out about the consequences of failure to close an anchor when i get into game, but i hope its not a side bar that people just stop caring about.

3. Cahiry

Cahiry Elite Dangerous Captain

Running off into the wilds on a side quest you bumped into has always been part of the series and one of my favorite things to do in them.

As long as the side quests have substance and are not just run over there kill me 5 Drop bears and that's it i'll be happy

4. Blue_Talon

Blue_Talon Well-Known Member

They had similar things in other ESO games, where farmer wife A would randomly run up to you to save father/son/daughter from horrible nasty B. Im guessing these will have randomised loot tied to your level with an instanced area to fight, scaled by whoever else you bring in. Sounds good so far.

As long as I can also find a random dungeon is the middle of nowhere to explore for myself then Im happy. I prefer no quest other than explore and loot.

The anchors will be cool I think. Basically just public quests.

5. Cahiry

Cahiry Elite Dangerous Captain

I like the idea but sounds like a ripoff of RIFT, hopefully it is better.

6. Blue_Talon

Blue_Talon Well-Known Member

To be fair everything is a ripoff of something else. The first public quests i saw done well were in WAR. Now, they are a staple of the industry. Same with adjustable action bars / skills....

7. Thymos

Thymos Retired Captain

Hard to play any MMO today without something feeling like a ripoff.

The fact that they worked on first person gameplay to be viable is amazing.