Deus Ex (3): Human Revolution

Discussion in 'Shooter Games: The Range' started by Ned, Dec 1, 2009.

1. Reoh

Reoh Well-Known Member

Yeah me too somewhat Spectre. I think mostly its because I had no real intel on what to expect and now have to backtrack and grab a bunch of stuff to prepare for the bossfight. I don't even carry healkits (never needed'em) with me!

2. Bru1zer

Bru1zer Guardian Captain

Yeah the boss fight/s suck in that regard, finished my first playthough just now, started a second all stealth pacifist run, going to fully upgrade the shotgun and carry that throughout the game for the boss fights, and spend the praxis points i used to be able to carry more, on longer cloak or something.

Battery cell upgrades and dermal armour seem to be a waste of praxis points.

Last edited: Aug 29, 2011
  3. JohnnygeeUK

JohnnygeeUK Getting Started

Must admit, the boss fights are a bit out of order as the rest of the game encourages a non combat focus

that being said with the first boss fight I stunned him with a concussion gernade then threw all 4 UR-DEDs under him and set them off, it was over in seconds, no fight necessary.
    Havent got to any others yet so will have to see how it goes

Shame about the lazy end of level boss fights letting down what is otherwise an amazing game

4. Bawheidbob

Bawheidbob Well-Known Member

Agreed Boss Fights are not needed in this type of game. This is another case of them almost spoiling a game much like Uncharted 2.

In this case they do not fit.

5. dday_0612

dday_0612 Well-Known Member

I concur about the boss fights not really fitting in, although I still think this game is amazing, even with them.

One thing to consider doing is putting it on the "tell me a story" difficulty setting for the boss fights only. That way you can kick them out of the way in a few minutes and move onto the better aspects of the game.

I am now into China and trying to find the side quests. I probably need to find an online source that lists where they all are, as I have only found one so far.

dday

6. Asmodai

Asmodai Well-Known Member

The first boss isn't as annoying as the hyperactive chick boss, but if you're stealth focused you can slip away from him and hide, and he loses track of you and wanders around the room carpet bombing the last known location you were in. I think it took 5 headshots from a mildly upgraded sniper rifle to finish him off on "Give me Deus Ex" difficulty.

As for side quests, they aren't terribly hard to find, the characters that give them tend to stick out a bit (like a certain doctor at a later limb clinic, he just looked out of place so I talked to him and wallah, quest).

*mild spoiler but more of a heads up*

The only quest that seems to be bugged for location is the Talion AD quest in the second iteration of Hengsha. There is no cross on the minimap to help locate the area you need to go to. The sewer entrance is in the same area where you need to recover Darrow's chip. (hopefully this saves you crawling through Hengsha's sewers for 45 minutes ; )

*end of mild spoiler*

Otherwise, having a fantastic time. My first playthrough is already running at 50+ hours (mostly stealth/hacker type).

I will say this though, if you don't go for the pacifist/stealth route, or hacker, you might miss out a bunch of XP/praxis points. The extra XP for hacking (script kiddie etc) + the XP for expedient/non fatal etc seems far greater than stuff like marksman XP (eg. a single take down on a drone will net you ~50 XP whereas a headshot kill get's you 40 and a kill to the body get's you 20).

Taking down a lvl 5 node where you trigger the alarm but still hack through it can net you as much as 450 (I got 2x200 script kiddie + grey hat for 50). This as opposed to hunting for codes in draws and/or punching holes in walls (which doesn't seem to award anything). Lastly, the exploration XP can get pretty good (traveler, 100, explorer 200, pathfinder 300).

That being said, I didn't plot out what I was going to do in game, just played my normal style for these sorts of games. I'd say the first playthrough just go with whatever you prefer and enjoy it before trying to min/max it. ; )

Fantastic game, now if only these guys could do a new Thief game and a new System Shock (nom nom nom).

Ned likes this.
  7. Ned

Ned Public Forum Coordinator

8. Bru1zer

Bru1zer Guardian Captain

Also you get 200xp for reading hugh darrows blue books, and there is an achievement for reading all 29.

9. Unknown

Unknown Retired Captain

No, as for many others the first boss fight was a big bad shock (in terms of tactics versus what I had in my inventory, etc.). Thankfully the second boss fight was significantly easier (
    well, with the fully-upgraded Typhoon augmentation on Give Me Deus Ex difficulty she died from two quick hits, all over in seconds
    ).

I've only found two areas so far (one containing a Darrow e-book) that required specific augmentations (punch through wall and Icarus landing system) in order to reach (though I haven't explored every area 100%) - for most locations there are multiple entry points.

10. Reoh

Reoh Well-Known Member

Finally got to play again, gave it another shot but no joy, Tried the red barrel trick but after landing one or two he'd eventually blow one up in my face. That hurt lol. so I backed up and grabbed the rocket launcher and second EMP grenade. A clip of rockets and 2 emp + shotgun clip combo's and we were good.

I'm now about to head into upper China. ;)

11. Reoh

Reoh Well-Known Member

Finally got to play again, gave it another shot but no joy, Tried the red barrel trick but after landing one or two he'd eventually blow one up in my face. That hurt lol. so I backed up and grabbed the rocket launcher and second EMP grenade. A clip of rockets and 2 emp + shotgun clip combo's and we were good.

I'm now about to head into upper China. ;)

VICTORY DANCE!

12. Bru1zer

Bru1zer Guardian Captain

Saw that dance thing last night, classic, the hazard suit guy cracks me up.

Here is another gem.
    [​IMG]

13. Reoh

Reoh Well-Known Member

I was so tempted to do that.

They could have at least scripted this one guy a decent dance.

14. Yvnu

Yvnu Retired Captain

The Diamond Back upgraded with explosive rounds and damage saves tons of inventory space and kicks like an exploding mule. Pair that with EMP grenades for boss fights. Then you still have room for your non lethal weapons and some other stuff.

15. Reoh

Reoh Well-Known Member

I recently strated upgrading a regulr pistol becuse I heard it was fairly epic too. What I really need is a VENDOR though. Haven't seen one since I went "into the tower." XD

16. Yvnu

Yvnu Retired Captain

I found there were long sections of the game where there apeared to be no merchants or that you could only buy from them and even then they had a limited inventory.

Never walk past ammo, it's small and can stack up nicely for selling.

When you have lots of the same weapons lying around take them one at a time to a merchant when you have the option available to you as each weapon is worth more than the ammo it holds. Because if you pick up more than one weapon at a time the second weapon disapears and you only get the ammo from it. That being said if you are in one of those long sections with no merchants picking up multiples of the same weapon type and only getting ammo is still preferable to leaving the weapon behind and getting nothing.

This is why i suggested the smaller weapons that take up less inventory space.

Also, once you pick a weapon to upgrade, don't ferry any of the same type of weapon to the merchant to be sold, the ammo you will get is far more valuable in this case. I picked the Zenith pistol as my silenced weapon and i was always scratching around trying to find rounds.

Money doesn't seem to be too much of a problem so buy ammo every chance you get, i bought all the 10mm and .357 rounds, Praxis kits, EMP and gas grenades i could find, i also ended up buying the Buzzkill TND twice and the PAX-22 and still ended up with well over 40,000 credits at the end of the game and i made a few mistakes where i could have ended up with more (buying the Buzzkill twice and stockpiling stuff that i never ended up using or selling).

Last edited: Sep 3, 2011
  17. Bru1zer

Bru1zer Guardian Captain

EMP grenades are like gold.
    The best weapon for a pacifist playthrough is the revolver, takes up minimal inventory space but once upgraded it has explosive bullets that can take out robots.

18. Reoh

Reoh Well-Known Member

Like that sec 5 garage in detroit under the dealer. I kept running up there and selling him back his own guns. LOL. :D

19. Bru1zer

Bru1zer Guardian Captain

Just finished my second run through tonight, pacifist/stealth, the amount of xp you get doing every side mission whilst doing everything stealth is insane.
    By the end of it every aug on the right side was maxed out and all but 4 on the left (albiet useless augs) were also.
    Managed to snag all but one achievement,
    looks like I will have to have another run to find all those damn books.

Also in the second boss fight, if you hit her with a stun gun it disrupts her typhoon and makes the whole fight a cakewalk.

20. dday_0612

dday_0612 Well-Known Member

Concur about the second boss. Stun gun her as she rushes at you, then fill her with lead. Rinse and repeat.