[DONE] Definitely over 25 and trying to learn to play FPS

Discussion in 'The Barracks' started by ketchup4sale, Jun 10, 2020.

1. ketchup4sale

ketchup4sale Getting Started

Hi guys and gals!

I'm an english girl/woman, currently living and working in the Netherlands. I am interested in a lot of different genres of games, and enjoy discovering new ones. My main loves are city builders and simulations and single-player RPGs, but I also used to play a decent amount of WoW. Currently, I game on the PC and the switch (nintendo addict - esp. Zelda and Mario).

One genre that I never took to and which I consequently never invested much time into was FPS. For me, that basically stands for First Person Shot. I recently installed CS:GO to give it a try out, but the only people on my friends list who play are all 15, and it can get a bit much. I think the kids refer to is as "toxic". I do like the gameplay, however, and would love to get better.

I would love to find some older people to play with. It doesn't necessarily have to be CS:GO, because I get that playing with a complete noob isn't everyone's cup-of-tea :D, but if there is anyone with some spare patience who wouldn't mind showing me the ropes, that would also be great.

But more than anything I just want to hang out online and game with some people closer to my own age! Would love to join the discord too. I speak English, Swedish and Dutch reasonably fluently - not sure if that is relevant, but throwing it in there just in case :)

Please let me in! I'll be good!

Shrubbo, Marco Rantanen and CAMMO like this.
  2. CAMMO

CAMMO The Soprano Voice of TOG Staff Member Moderator -= GOLD Patreon =-

Nearly didn't let you in because of that last line.:D

Congratulations! You have passed our stringent don't die before 25 application requirement and have made it into TOG.

Keep in mind there is more here than the division for that awesome game you have signed up for. There are other flaky games which all have their own division and other things of wonder, joy and wtf.

Public Forums (Philistines only or less then 25. Same thing)
    Member Forums (General chat, cat videos, VR, laboratories, Steam and Discord invites)
    Member News (If you have a mind like mine you just laughed)
    Simulation and Sports Divisions (This is for simulation and sports games!)
    Strategy, RPG and other Games (This is for err... Strategy, RPG and other Games)
    FPS (Brutal and horrific death. Lots of fun!)
    MMORPG (Also brutal and horrific death but sometimes ponies)
    Operations (The name you picked is stupid and you want to change it? Policies and stuff)

Moose and Shrubbo like this.
  3. ketchup4sale

The last line may or may not have been a lie, anyway ;)

Thanks for the add!

Shrubbo and CAMMO like this.
  4. Rukus308

Rukus308 Code Monkey Staff Member Moderator

Welcome to TOG :D

Shrubbo, ketchup4sale and CAMMO like this.
  5. Marco Rantanen

Marco Rantanen Getting Started

Welcome :)

My son 15 and 22 (older no longer living at home) years old are both playing CS:CO and sometimes when I listen to my youngest son game play I fully understand. But when playing with older players, even the youngest son knows how to behave and behave surprisingly well, especially when he knows that by behaving well older players can be one of the best game friends. In many cases, the older brother points out quite sharply if the game attitude of the younger one is bad. I have 4 kids all boys and every one is playing something. Oldest son play WoW weekly with me many times helping me to get something done well.

I feel my self very old when watching and playing with my kids those are totaly different level in game skills and every week i suprice how fast they learn someting new.

Shrubbo, ketchup4sale and CAMMO like this.
  6. ketchup4sale

Sometimes it feels like I'm fighting a losing battle trying to improve in these games that are full of people who have already been playing them for years and who have basically grown up on them! Makes me feel OLD too! But I figure I will continue as long as I enjoy it. And if a 15 year old rage quits because I missed a kill, that's his problem lol :)

7. RobbyRobot

RobbyRobot Getting Started

I was searching again for older players and saw your post. I feel your pain, literally. I love gaming but playing with these kids ... ugh. I'm relatively new to online gaming and "Sometimes it feels like I'm fighting a losing battle trying to improve in these games" is exactly how I feel. I just want to have fun with like-minded people, play, help with the goal/mission as a team, converse a bit, and have fun. I have been fortunate to have a few young'uns show me the ropes and invite me tag a long (kinda of a "c'mon grandpa, we got your back") but, their competitiveness dominates over the fun factor. I die A LOT!!! lol I found this forum a few years back but haven't warmed up to the community yet. I may be to old even for them (62). I'm smart enough to build a decent custom gaming rig and heavily mod some games but, I'm lacking in the reflexes and gaming skills for MMO's (the in-game menus / load-outs are a bit overwhelming at times). I'm going to give this group a go again. Cheers and luck.

CAMMO likes this.
  8. ketchup4sale

The struggle is real! I'm currently proud of myself for managing to get to the point where I'm not always the teammember that gets told to go kill myself. Quite an achievement!

And the glorious feeling when the kids go quiet cos I just headshot them 3 times in a row with my trusty AK on 1v1 is unbeatable. Because I am both old AND a girl - the two most severe handicaps in existence ;)

I am with you on the in-game menus etc. very overwhelming at times!

I don't know what u play, but feel free to drop me an add on steam or wherever. I'm ketchup4sale on pretty much all platforms.

CAMMO likes this.
  9. NotoriousKiwi

NotoriousKiwi Getting Started

Best of luck! I'm a youngblood so I'm on the outside of the looking glass but hopefully you can link up with some people around here and get into a rhythm. :)

I just started getting properly into PC after spending most of my life on Xbox. It's a culture and physical shift to say the least. All my instincts are wrong but it's a process. I started playing Escape from Tarkov and am loving it but boy is the learning curve next to vertical so don't feel bad if it takes a little while to get used to things or learn things, as long as you're enjoying yourself!

ketchup4sale and CAMMO like this.
  10. RobbyRobot

RobbyRobot Getting Started

What games I play ... hmmm. I'm literally all over the place, the winter sale on Steam ... I went nuts after I got my rig the way I wanted it (including 4tb HDD). You'll see. Btw, no zombie games (I deplore the zombie genre). Headshot 3 young'uns ... awesome, lol. Thanks for the add on Steam, I'll be Grandpa_SkyRob62. I was recently in Destiny 2 (with the kids help), Battlefield 1, FarCry 5, Monster Hunter World (barely into it, tutorials), Ghost Recon Wildlands and others .... hope we have some similar games, and if so I look forward to having a fun in them.

Thank you Notorius.

Time to go get lost in another world. happy gaming.

CAMMO likes this.