DDO Unlimited

Discussion in 'Free to grind' started by BlueMonday, Feb 28, 2010.

1. Misnik

Misnik Retired Architect

I think Khyber is one of the few servers I haven't made a character on yet :D

Have really liked how they handled the game mechanic port of the PnP D&D. I think was a decent job. I only wish I had tried it out sooner than I did.

Been on a few servers and usually stop around level 7 or so. Be great to find some Toggers to run some adventures with.

2. Lendal

Lendal Bless Online Captain

Let us know if you get a more or less regularly scheduled group going on. That would be fun.

:)

3. Imfir

Imfir Well-Known Member

okay I am in

first started with an Elf Rogue, can't do any elite
    so then I made a Dwarf Fighter, and when I did an elite for the first time I forgot to visit the soul stone to get some HP back, and died. Hate computers doing my dice rolls, friggen heals are like 2-4 .. grrrr mosty 2 pts of HP, and damn luck if I can get 4
    any ways

Imfir XaatXuun Elf Rogue - will be going Ranger/Rogue
    Redskunk XaatXuun Dwarf Fighter - will be going Fighter/Rogue

just tabbed out to post this going back for a little more doubt I'll be still up in an hour, gettting sleepy

4. MMOGAddict

MMOGAddict Well-Known Member

Xersan - Lv 4 Cleric - Kyber

5. Imfir

Imfir Well-Known Member

Oh wow, I was playing Imfir, I wanted to get him started on his Ranger skills. So needed him at level 2 so I can start Ranger. Well got there, but for some reason, he could not get Two Weapon Fighting ? Which I needed. Oh well, he has no Negatives when using 2 Rapiers, but it is not showing he has the skill either. Strange . Maybe because the Low Wisdom, but have now idea why Wisdom would affect weapons :w

Well before logging off for the night I thought I dash into the market and see what I could find, Eh, Nothing, Too new any ways to have made enough Coin. So I saw this quest “Walk the Butcher’s Path” , Okay I got time to do one run . . . er so I thought. :? Of course since deciding to do another quest was on a Whelm I had no Heal pots, No Cleric Hireling. I start going through. Oh my Kobold’s and lots of them . . good, no Problem for Imfir. Mainly because I selected Casual which is easier then Normal for Quest difficulty.;)
    Then I look back on the quest Info - Long..Oh crap :eek: I didn’t want to stay up, and I really didn’t want to quit. These guys don’t come at you 1 or 2 at a time, it’s a Herd of them. and they are always circling or moving back and forth.
    there was one door I was not able to get through, needed a Str of 18 to break it and there was some levers I could not get to , because my Intel was too low to use the Rune to open the gate to them.
    well this took a while because there are just 2 Shrines in there, and me no heal pots or a Cleric Hireling, I had to wait 6-10 minutes. During those waits I was still looking for any thing I may have missed, there was one hidden door I missed. Here is the Ironic part, I was at the end for the final boss, health was very low, and it’s been almost 3 hours now and most of that time was waiting to use Shrines
    So I go into this hidden area, The GM said something ( I forgot exactly what , but do remember him saying the part “Its an Ambush “
    Course I was like NooooOOooo, not now :eek:
    Whoa, I survived with just a loss of 2 HP, I better not fall because I only had 8/43 HP now.
    So I made it back to the shrines, get almost full health (41/43), now off to that last Boss and get the hell out (oh I really didn’t know that was the last one at the time and that was the end of the quest)
    That is one Tough Boss, not an easy one to kill, and he (or she) did a ton of Damage to me
    So I got to 6 of the possible 7 treasures
    4 of the 5 Bosses
    and killed the 80 monsters required, really felt like I killed 800

So today when I got on the WWW, I had to go to the DDOWiki to read the spoiler to see why I could not get to the levers, and what I missed because of that.
    And here I’ll quote the first Tips and Misc that you read, because it is very true
    It’s a level 2 quest and I was level 2. but Imfir is an Dex/Str/Con build (Custom) [I don’t do preset Paths]
    here is the Wki link on that Quest if you want to read it Walk the Butcher's Path - DDO wiki
    DPS builds with a Cleric hireling and heal pots should be able to solo it, I did, without those, but I was at the lowest difficulty, and that was tough, and waiting for the timer to click down on the shrines mad this quest last twice as long as it should have taken me to do it

Last edited: Jul 27, 2010
  6. Orbac

Orbac Active Member

If you play on Khyber I have a few low level avatars on that server. Level 5 for now, a Rogue , Cleric , and a Fighter. The names are Orbac , Zyphoid , Drimlok , put those on your friends list. I also an in two guilds tring to find a good guild to latch on to. Zyphoid is am Officer to one of them if you all would like to be in a guild , not that running solo is a bad thing and the guild I am in is small but it helps to have guildies , as we all know, to help out if available.

7. Dressy

Dressy Guest

Just downloaded DDO the other night. Made up an Elf ranger and tried out the starting area. The game looks good (not sure about all the whacking of the chests and barrels though) and so I will make another toon up on the kyber (?) server to mix with toggers here and there.

Question? As I'm not really into committing myself to regular groups and such these days, what class is a good solo-able class? I'm assuming something with good hitpoints and self heals, though worried about a lack of Dps. I do like a good mix of AOE and tankability/self heals. So I'm thinking either Warden or Pally though open to suggestions.

8. Orbac

Orbac Active Member

To start out with make a fighter, pick a race you like, warforged human or dwarf seem a good choice, put 18 into strength dex up to 10 and the rest into constitution. that way you have hitpoints and strength to hit and damage, the rest on a fighter is nice but not needed to start out with. Read up in the forums to see if there is a build that you like to try, don't be afraid to reroll because you dont like the way your guy goes.

9. Lendal

I wouldn't worry to much about which class is the best at soloing when it's so easy and cheap to take a mercenary NPC with you.

I've wreaked a lot of havoc with my DPS spec'd monk and a healer mercenary along for the ride. That is a FUN combo.

10. Snott

Snott Well-Known Member

I used to know a good twink build in NWN that was fighter/monk/shadowdancer(or assassin) with dual weild kama. Rediculous number of attacks and dmg... no idea if this applies to DDO but I might investigate it when I get home and can log on. From memory there was an ideal race to select as well but can't remember the details. I think I saved the build somewhere.

11. Dressy

Dressy Guest

I made up a battle cleric. I have no intention of buying much through the online shop, so see how far it will take me ;-) I did try an elite quest (the crystal quest) in the starter town with a barbarian hireling and my summoned dog. Got down to only 6 mobs left before I died.

Is doing elite quests worth it?

12. Lendal

Just so we're clear, I wasn't talking about buying a mercenary through the online shop, although I did see that they were available there, too.

13. Imfir

Imfir Well-Known Member

yeah, get your hirelings from the vendors, not the DDO Store.
    And once we can get guild lvl 16, we can purchase Divine Hirelings cheaper.

Ranger is a good one to solo with, because they can use wands, and the one wand I am thinking is Wand of Cure Light Wounds cheaper then buying Potions of the same, and a whole lot cheaper. I just found that out, but have not tested it yet, but did look at the price difference. The wiki list the price a wrong, guess it has not been updated since they change monetary from GP to PP, so they do cost more then what the Wiki list it at. I did the price check with my Sales Toon Kuuf, where his only purpose is to get the best prices, so he was built with max Charisma, and every thing that deals with Haggling. even his gear is +'s in Charisma or Haggle

I am having a ton of fun with a Dwarf Ranger/Rogue took me a while to get a build figured out. That is my small party/soloing toon.

I'll be rerolling Imfir into just a master mechanic Rogue, I'll do that after I unlock Drow (which may take as little as 10 days but should be in a months time)

I added 2 new toons, Kuuf, and Redvermin
    RedVermin took the role I was going to play Imfir (Ran/Rog)
    Kuuf , well as you know now is just the mule/sales, but is a Bard. Since Bards can charm , and can summons a pet, and can use wands, I felt the bard was a good selection, I will still level him up some, mainly will be doing just Coin Lords and Free Agents quest so I can get the extra bags. Surprisingly he is not as Gimped as I thought he would be, but that is because he has a pet

so now I have 4 toons
    Imfir
    RedSkunk
    RedVermin
    Kuuf

they're already in the guild
    forgot which servers, but another name I am playing in Bobrobert I think Orien.

okay just a short story, but at the gitgo of coming to DDO Unlimited, I made an account, so a couple days later I decided to log in the forums, but totally forgot what my User name was, not only that but also forgot my user name fore the Account, so I made another account, well a day n half ago I remembered that user name, That is why I have 4 toons now on a F2P game, it's because I have 2 accounts :w
    That was never the plan, but I'll use it

< the wrap up>
    Redskunk will also be rerolled later, but will play him till I can unlock the Drow. He'll do fine for now in the low levels but will be hurting at the higher levels, so a reroll is in order for him, once rerolled, he'll just be a fighter, no rogue
    well that's all

and

I am really enjoying DDO Unlimited :bigthumbsup:

14. Dressy

Dressy Guest

So how will you unlock the drow? I'm assuming you don't mean to buy? Are you just saving favor points? I really do not understand the whole favor thing. I mean is it at all feasible to simply grind to unlock favor?

15. Imfir

Imfir Well-Known Member

this is copied stright from the DDOWiki
    sorry a bit tired, but you earn Favor from finishing quest. RedSkunk just shy of a week old, has 124 Favor already,
    so just another 276 to go and I will have unlocked the Drow for that Server. I can get more into it after I get some rest ;)

16. RedlineJunkie

RedlineJunkie Getting Started

Favor is earned by completing quests. There are different amounts of favor for a quest based on difficulty. It is not cumulative, however. So if a quest gives 4 favor for normal, 8 favor for hard, and 12 favor for elite, you only get favor for the highest difficulty you complete. So if you run the quest on normal then hard, you have 8 favor for that quest. Run it again on elite and you have 12 favor.

You can keep track of your favor for each quest in the adventure compendium. If you are interested in only favor and not XP, try to get into groups running the quest on elite. That way you only have to run the quest once for max favor. If you care about XP, do the quest on normal, hard, and elite because you get a 25% XP bonus the first time you run the quest on each difficulty.

Free points are unlocked at favor milestones, you get 25 points at every 100 favor milestone. There are also one-time points awards per server at various milestones. Here's an old blog post that explains the favor rewards that I found pretty useful when I started. (There are 7 servers now instead of the 6 referenced when the blog was written)

1 person likes this.
  17. sangretu

sangretu Getting Started

Our guild is progressing pretty quickly it seems, especially for being so loosely organized. I hardly ever see other members online, but we are already level 9 and enjoying a few minor perks like cheaper spell components. When we hit level 10, we can use the guild enhancement slots in our equipment, which should be nice as well.

Since it seems to be working fine for now, we'll just keep doing what we're doing - inviting those who want to be invited, and encouraging people to help each other out. Maybe at some point we'll get enough people on at the same time to start experiencing new content together - that'd be nice :)

18. Lendal

I often read what you guys write. And mostly, I try and pay attention. Although, I admit that I seem to be losing my attention span at about the same rate as my hair these days.

So, anyway, I was thinking that I'd make an effort to get into the game at around the same time as some of you guys just to say 'Hi', get invited into the guild, and maybe even set off on a dungeon crawl or whatever other social activity might come up. I really do enjoy playing these games with friends. It's that whole second "M" thing in the "MMORPG" designation, you know.

But for the most part I can't tell when you guys are likely to be on line and in game. I'm in the habit of just mousing over your mini-profile descriptions to the left of your posts to see where you live and therefore what time zones you're all in. So when you leave that information out of your User Profile here on this forum, it naturally doesn't show up there.

Please consider editing your forum profile and including some hint in there as to your Location. I know it's not a good idea to put your personal information out there "on the internet" and all. But really, maybe just a city name and country wouldn't be too risky, eh?

Snott likes this.
  19. Imfir

Imfir Well-Known Member

Ahh Redline , Thx for the Favor description. you did a much better write about it then I would have
    =========
    Yeah I have seen the member list drop, some players moving to more active guilds. but yet we’re still growing in guild level with who still is there, Awesome job for the small numbers
    =======
    Yeah, about those times. Since I’m in that Honeymoon phase of the game . . . . I’m actually logging in sooner then I would normally. But since I am logging in sooner, I am actually on a different server, testing out builds. So in a way I am still playing the times I would be in Khyber.

Since I am a Night Owl, and too many people sleeping when I am awake, there is not much for me to do, Quietly that is, but to be Online playing games, So I spend a long time with Online Gaming.
    normal times for me would be Midnight - 2am, but since there is no work for me to work within my sleep disorder, I have extra time till something opens up, so now those normal times are 8pm - 3am
    All Pacific time zone
    when I am not playing with DeWe and/or Belark, I actually take a few hours break between 10pm - midnight
    Me playing late actually works out for my connection and old machine, because there is less population.
    I tend to Lag and have a bigger latency during Prime times. during that prime time I keep a very low profile that I am on

Getting in the Guild is simple, just Post your Character(s) name here, and we can mail you the Invite. Sometimes that Invite goes to the Unconfirmed mail, so check there too.

DeWe is not in Strangers with Candy, but in a Guild called Naughty Angels, Heh, so I kinda find it amusing that there is a Naughty Angel running around with a Stranger with Candy
    :bigevil:

20. sangretu

sangretu Getting Started

Sure, I don't mind putting my location up if it serves a purpose. However, it's not a good indicator of my gaming schedule, since I'm on "vacation" until I find a new job, at which point I'll probably be moving anyway, so the information will change.

The good news is that my schedule is pretty open at the moment, so if there's a time that works for everyone else, I can probably swing it...