DDO Unlimited

Discussion in 'Free to grind' started by BlueMonday, Feb 28, 2010.

1. DeWe

DeWe Getting Started

Server ?

Is Kyber the server to join for Toggers? I just want to be sure before I buy a Dark elf. :)

Last edited: Jul 10, 2010
  2. Lendal

Lendal Bless Online Captain

It would appear that Kyber is where most of us are starting up characters right now.

Some of us have characters on other servers too but, since we're all just starting out on Kyber, there's no reason everyone can't join in with us while we're all low level.

We need to be better about posting our character names here so that we can all meet up. My paladin's name is 'Lendal'.

:)

3. sangretu

sangretu Getting Started

I'm not sure if we're going to end up using it or another one, but I created a guild and would be happy to invite anyone who's interested. For the record, I ran an end-game raiding guild in WoW, so I'm not new to such things :)

Server : Khyber
    Character : Sangretu
    Guild : Strangers with candy

4. Imfir

Imfir Well-Known Member

I am in and out of Medford, and where I am now, it is a 19k dial up(and that's on a good day), or using Satellite, So I am using Sat, and they have limit's, so I don't know why they call it unlimited :w

5. Lendal

Ah, I see. Satellite service is one of those things that I know absolutely nothing about. At first it seemed like a wonderful leap forward in technology and it just seemed like it would be of tremendous benefit to those of us whose hobbies were dependent on telecom links.

Then, you started hearing things about the signal lag (latency? whatever...). With the signal having to travel all the way up to the satellites and all the way back again, etc. And then there were rumblings about the cost of it being too expensive, etc. Now there's bandwidth limits.

So much for the great leap forward. I guess it's a bit better than dial up, anyway. Maybe you should lay in a supply of cheap blank DVDs from someplace like Walmart or Costco and send them around to friends or family now and then when you need a couple gigs of something or other downloaded.

I'm just glad that NA ISPs haven't gotten around yet to commonly setting bandwidth limits for us. I sympathize with our Aussie friends who do have to put up with that.

6. Lendal

That works for me, Sangretu. Frankly, I'm not seeing enough interest here in playing DDO on a regular basis that we would really be justified in spending a much effort to organize it.

Most of us are in the game only occasionally now. And then later, when FFXIV comes along, we'll be gone, anyway.

But, meanwhile, DDO is a nice little bit of fun.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2010
  7. DeWe

DeWe Getting Started

I have 2 toons on Khyber now..

Moonin -- Cleric or Bard, Can't remember :)
    Moonya -- Bard or Cleric, Again can't remember :)

Moonpie -- Not in game
    Moonwang -- Hanging out with Moonpie

8. Rickety

Rickety Administrator Administrator Moderator

I'd like to mention that there already is a TOG guild on Kyber (I'm the guild leader :)). All I need is a time when players are on so I can give you folks an invite and set a few of you as officers.

9. sangretu

sangretu Getting Started

I don't think we're likely to get organized enough for everyone to get on at the same time. This is starting to look like a loosely knit coalition more than anything else ;)

10. Imfir

Imfir Well-Known Member

Well, things sure has changed since I last played D&D,
    No Half Elf Race, Thieves are now called Rogues, Races I never heard of , like WTH is an Warforged ?
    I do not think I can play this like I did when I played in on PnP, just going to treat it like a an new MMO game

I’m going to test ride a couple classes, maybe on a different server first before I make one on Khyber

I remember I had a forum account for DDO before they had CB, And decided to wait till release, but that never happened. Wonder if I can dig up that account name and PW, maybe I have some points :eek:. eh just wishful thinking there :p

11. sangretu

sangretu Getting Started

I know how you feel, mate. I was a red box kid, and never really adjusted to all the feats and skills and such that came with 3.0....the idea of planning out your character's advancement from the beginning seemed too much like minmaxing and not enough like roleplaying to me.

DDO takes place in Eberron, which is different than the Forgotten Realms you're probably used to - the land has a different history, religions, and creatures. Warforged are one of the changes.

DDO isn't designed to be a direct port of the PnP game, but it does a decent job of recreating the dungeon crawl feel, complete with the narrating "dungeon master" voice. That's one reason I wanted to play it with people who haven't already done it all before - to try to capture some of the wonder of discover as we uncover secrets and hidden plots together :)

It's ok if you start from scratch on Khyber - you won't be the only one with little to no experience, that's part of the fun!

12. The DCG

The DCG Getting Started

Hmmm... I actually liked the higher levels of customization implicit in skills and feats and the like: I thought they allowed MORE role-playing, as you molded your character into something distinctly your own...

That being said, DDO isn't even a direct port of Eberron- so many things they have to change to port the mechanics through. But I think they did as well as they could reasonably be thought to, at the end of the day. I personally think the D20 in the corner was a nice touch. (I kept waiting for the DM voice to say: roll for initiative! ;) )

13. sangretu

sangretu Getting Started

I found it to be the exact opposite, as people came up with minmax templates of skills and feats to make up the core of their characters. "Back in my day", your character developed as a result of their experiences, strange magical effects or artifacts had great impact on character development - turning one neuter, albino, or part amphibian....moving characters between campaigns was a huge challenge since you never knew what the previous DM did to the characters.

Since the big switch, it seems the only things that change between characters are the skills and feats, and while they are more portable, the game feels a lot less organic. Perhaps it's not a problem with the system so much as how people play it, but I remember when the rulebook was just a set of guidelines, and DMs were encouraged to make up their own rules.

Ok, I'm done debating PnP RPGs in this thread now :)

14. Cindax

Cindax World of Warcraft Officer

Indeed, gone are the days of spending as much time each session making a new character as you did playing. And how cool was it when you got to use your own character for more than a handful of weekends in a row :D

15. Belark

Belark Just Joined

Belark here....
    Am now on Khyber (hope nothing to do with a certain Pass ;p) (US), trala
    Was wanting to call my Bard Belark as my Bard on Lotro (UK, server? I can't recall as not played Lotro for nearly a year or so..) is called Belark, trala
    When created and Name inport came on - nope 'Belark' was already used message came up <howl!!!>
    Bard's name? Sumada lvl 2

16. DeWe

DeWe Getting Started

NVM Have gone elsewhere

Last edited: Jul 18, 2010
  17. Snott

Snott Well-Known Member

I might see if someone is about over the weekend, not very active at the moment but could be if we had some TOGs about - and it looks like we do have a few if we can get together hah :D

18. Imfir

Imfir Well-Known Member

just a couple more days then I can start the down load :D

I have been playing with the Character Planner to get some ideas,
    I am sure I'll understand more what to build after I get in the game and see, I am anxious to get in the game, but must . ..h hold back the urgh ;)
    I am hoping I can get back into some role playing, been kinda missing that

So may see ya'll this weekend unless something happens that does not allow me to Download it :eek:
    Still not sure what Names I would be using, I'll think of something, was thinking of just doing the deal to get enough TP to get as Drow. So may be doing a lot of Alts trying to gain TP.

19. KiwiRed

KiwiRed Getting Started

I've been sidetracked - first by star wars galaxies (fun, but didn't last until the end of the trial) and now EQ2 (quite enjoying it tbh, might end up buying a copy while it's on special on d2d). So I'm putting DDO on the back-burner for the time being.

20. sangretu

sangretu Getting Started

Strangers With Candy just reached level 5, so we now have the ability to send invites via the mail system (i.e. you don't have to be online at the same time I am) ... if you'd like me to send one to your character, just mention it here, or PM me.....or send mail to sangretu in game...whatever.

Aaron