DC Universe stuff *2010*

Discussion in 'MMORPG Games: The Realms' started by Reoh, May 12, 2009.

1. Reoh

Reoh Well-Known Member

Last edited: Jun 5, 2009
  2. DragonLord

DragonLord Active Member

Pick up cars and pole and use them, WOW. The game is very early in its development so I'm sure, at least I hope, the graphics will improve. They better take notes from Champions. ;) I'll be watching closely at this one.

I hate to say it but CoH is not the only cat in town now. I'm curious as to how all this will unfold. :)

3. Reoh

Reoh Well-Known Member

DC sounds like it might have a better pvp heroes vs villains dynamic, which champsions was lacking (unless they pull a CoV expansion at a later date, bleh to them if they do for releasing half a game again).

4. Reoh

Reoh Well-Known Member

5. merwood

merwood Active Member

Well as far as a release date , I believe in a interview (i'll see if i can find a link to it)
    that DCUO has been pushed back to 2010 which i think is smart as it allows to polish the game more and get more content in :)

As far as the pvp dynamics i am very curious about that and i think the best option for world pvp is given the option to flag ourselves . There has been talk about battlegrounds pvp which some want for more organized pvp but anyways battlegrounds means instanced and well you know where i stand with that .

At any rate there is also the SOE Fan faire which i hear is the next big thing for dcuo stuff and interviews :)

6. Lurker37

Lurker37 Well-Known Member

Actually, the one thing I NEVER want to try in another MMO is faction vs faction PVP. CO's friendly hero vs hero 'training exercises' and complete lack of playable villains is one of its major selling points for me.

If DCU lets PCs be villains, then that's one more MMO I won't bother with.

Last edited: May 26, 2009
  7. Drac

Drac Squad Officer

It's interesting to see the different opinions about PvP. Everyone seems to have a different take on it. Some people love brutal open non-consensual PvP contests with lots of risk involved, others enjoy a more controlled PvP areas/zones or opt-in forms of PvP, some people just outright hate it.

I think MMO developers are doomed no matter what they do, the player base will always fracture themselves over this issue. End level raiding is something I also see a lot of contention about, some people want really hard end level content, they want to play the hell out of the game and reap hard-to-get rewards for it, but others want a more leveled or fair and ballanced casual friendly system.

What I'm most interested about with this game is how they plan to design their MMO to be playable with a controller. Looking at vidoes and screenshots of Champions Online you can see evidence of different ideas for making their game 360 friendly, but you'll probably also notice they've abandoned some of those UI elements over time and are focusing on the PC stuff a lot more right now.

8. merwood

merwood Active Member

Well you are entitled to your opinion and view on pvp and villains , But for me having the options to play heroes and villains is a must , I don't know why cryptic decided to go with a nemesis system for CO when you look at comic books and video games that super heroes needs villians to create mischief and just like villains need heroes to chase and bring them to justice .

And to be honest i though cryptic studios would of learn from their past mistakes in city of heroes where the same playerbase that will be moving from coh/cov to CO had asked for pvp and cryptic not only made pvp zones that were hardley used and still are to this but they also devoted one entire feature to the collssus arena which was hardley ever used for any sort of pvp .

Given the fact that their going with what seems the same approach makes me believe that cryptic has not learned from their past failures includeing that their not making villains another faction makes me believe that DC will be more appealing then CO but again i don't expect everyone to agree with me

9. Drac

Drac Squad Officer

I wouldn't write off PvP in CO as being exactly like CoX until you've actually tried it.

10. merwood

merwood Active Member

And i could very well say don't knock the pvp for dcuo until you get a chance to try it . In terms of the CO pvp here's a link NYCC '09 Champions Online Video Q&A with Bill Roper | Ten Ton Hammer
    regarding the pvp features and nemesis system CO will have .

The only difference i have seen that distances CO and its arena pvp from CoX is actually leaderboard rankings and statistics ,

Based on what was said in that interview , The arena In CO in terms of presentation is basically what Cox had in terms of pvp and aside from that the pvp zones cause i had started play Cox back in november of 04 not too long before the colossus arena came out which where you could fight against other heroes in .

I will change my stance on the pvp in CO when i actually see evidence of it being different compared to what was in CoX , And Just because i haven't had a chance to get into the beta for CO and actually experience this .

it's the interviews that regarding what pvp will be implemented at launch for CO have actually made up my mind not to sign up for the beta for Co and buy a copy when it's released because again i had hopes that cryptic had learned from it's past mistakes in cox and would actually input some meaningful pvp and not boring reptitive content At any such rate it makes me looking forward much more to DCUO .

11. Drac

Drac Squad Officer

Err... I didn't.

That's a very old interview. I wouldn't have said anything if it wasn't different from CoX, I can't give any details due to the NDA but there have been a few public articles since that interview that have highlighted some additional PvP stuff. Also consider that CoH was designed with only PvE in mind. PvP wasn't added till issue 4 as you know. CO is launching with PvP, so it's being considered from the vary start rather then being just an afterthought because the fans demanded it.

Still, the designers have said that PvP isn't the games primary focus, it's an optional ppath for high end gear, but not a fundamental part of the game that everyone needs to experience so I'm guessing it's just not your type of MMO. Personally I'm not fan of any kind of PvP in heavily build or gear dependant games, and super hero games seem awfully build dependant. I'd prefer to clock hours in a straight up shooter over an MMO's PvP system any day of the week, but that's just me, different strokes for different folks. ;)

12. Reoh

Reoh Well-Known Member

I prefer having the option available, so that if PVP or PVE best suits my interests on a given day, I can pursue that without having to worry about the other.

13. Lurker37

Lurker37 Well-Known Member

I never meant to imply that faction PVP was badwrongfun - only that I personally had more than enough of it and was looking for something different - something where I can co-operate with/request help from any player I encounter, without worrying about what 'side' I'm currently playing.

As Drac said, PVP tends to polarise a playerbase - in my case setting player vs player makes me grumpy. I guess that coloured my post a little more than I'd intended.

My sincere apologies if my post made it seem that I was attacking your preferred mode of play.

You play your way, I play mine, and hopefully we all have fun.

14. Reoh

Reoh Well-Known Member

How are you on FPS games like Global Agenda? Everyone can co-operate if they want there, the pvp is guild (agency) based.

15. Reoh

Reoh Well-Known Member

New TTH video show's a lot of DC in action.

E3 2009: DCUO S.T.A.R. Labs Demo with Jens Andersen | Ten Ton Hammer

Much like champions online which is launcher sooner, the pace of your keystrokes will affect how fast/powerful your attacks are. You'll find items you can equip, and alternatively choose whether or not they get displayed on your avatar (so you can have the stats and keep your look if you want).

16. Rourke

Rourke Elder Scrolls Online Officer

I watched that trailer and got extremely excited, im a big super hero fan and to be able to play around in the DC universe (one I know and love) was a huge bonus for me, but then I found out it is being driven by SOE... after EQ and what they did to Star Wars: Galaxies, I will never trust them with another MMO. :(

The fact that it was DC would possibly tipped me over from Champions, as I have more ...investment in the DCU, but with SOE involved, I wouldnt touch it with a 10ft barge pole.

I'll just have to make do with Champions Online. Which is really damning a great game with faint praise...stupid NDA :p

17. Reoh

Reoh Well-Known Member

I know what you mean Rourke, I also much prefer DC's heroes and villains angle, rather than champions heroes and, hero games for pvp angle (yes, there's the apocalypse and that other version of pvp). But then champions seems to have far better customisation (right down into powers) that is just so alluring. Its a trade off either way I think.

18. merwood

merwood Active Member

I only started playing swg in december of 2003 and yes while i wasn't happy what soe did with swg when they brought in the nge i believe and many of my swg friend believe that the nge was more or less lucas arts idea and i wouldidnt blame all of soe because of what happend cause like dcuo the rights to star wars is owned by lucas arts hence they can pretty much throw in whatever they want regardless of what soe says .

so not to get off topic i'm just gonna say that i wish people would stop beating that nge deadhorse cause i am tired of and i believe that soe like any other company deserves a 2nd chance and i'm greatly pleased to see dcuo coming alot great and i truly think this game will hopefully help soe's reputation despite what has happened in recent years

Reven likes this.
  19. merwood

merwood Active Member

I think what i said in my last post was out of line guys and i want to apologize for it , I know recently i've said alot of negativity stuff regarding jump gate evolution and champions online and why i may not like both those games based on their videos and such at e3 .

That is no excuse for me to to go a endless rant and bash other people's opinions on other games and various companies and for that i apologize .

And rourke i do hope you may try dcuo when it comes out but i do understand your reasons and i can't expect everyone to see my point of view .

20. Reoh

Reoh Well-Known Member

It hadn't bothered me ;)