Dawn of War II Help

Discussion in 'RPG, Simulation, Strategy and Others' started by Monty, Apr 13, 2009.

1. Monty

Monty Phoenix Staff Member Moderator

I really like the look of this game but I've read mixed reviews. My gaming magazine gives it 9/10 but I've read some reviews by gamers saying it's too easy and the missions are almost the same so I'm not too sure if I should buy it. I've played some RTS but it was a long time ago and now I play more RPG / FPS games.

So I'm throwing this out to you for some advise, pluses and minuses please.

Thanks. :D

2. Cephas

Cephas Getting Started

Stay away unless you want to play competitively online.
    The single player is at best a poor tutorial for the multi.

3. Tulgar

Tulgar Battlefield Leader

Overall, I liked it. I got it when it first came out, but only recently completed it. I am not an online strategy multiplayer, definitely preferring single player options, so I can see that to maximise the value for $$ you probably need to be willing to play online.

I liked it as it quick paced - some missions only taking 8-10 min. There was an RPG element in that you skill up your squaddies and get some loot (random I think) from various kills.

I did find the overall campaign a bit easy, although I played it only on the medium level difficulty.

I liked the tactical aspect of combat, but sometimes with some bigger battles, particularly against tyrannid swarms, I had no clue what was happening other than my marines were carving through them and I just had to press buttons to heal up, or throw a grenade everynow and then.

There is some (arbitrary) rewards for different play styles. I preferred to clear whole maps, which at times would take 25 min or so rather than the quick style of going straight for the main boss. I figured I would get more loot optons by clearing the map. You score different points depending on % enemies killed, time taken and own team losses.

Overall, I put the game in a 'good category' without being brilliant. I love the 40k universe and story, so that may bias my positive perspective somewhat too.

4. GlenGrainger

GlenGrainger Just Joined

I have to agree, stay away unless you really like to play multiplayer online, I have stayed playing Dark Crusade and Soulstorm, mostly Dark Crusade as my mod works with that.

And the fact DoW2 has GFWL and Steam, if it only had GFWL I could probably put up with it, but both, no thanks.

5. Monty

Monty Phoenix Staff Member Moderator

Thanks guys, you've answered my question. GW will always be my first game but for now, I'll stick to getting shot in CoD4. :D

6. Parkey

Parkey Well-Known Member

COD4 Single Player was fantastic.

You will love it!

7. astrospud

astrospud Sandpit Raker for Toy Box Captain

There is a Demo you can download here at Steam.
    I really enjoy the single player campaign, as there is scope for different strategies and the AI has been improved. Multiplayer is a real hoot, too.
    We have a Subforum in the Memebers' Strategy section. Come on down and post up.

8. RedMan

RedMan Retired Advisor

I loved the game
    About to start getting back into it as I gave Red Alert II a go, which is disappointing to say the least.

Storying line for the game, meh.
    MP, pretty good
    Style of the game, loved it. It gives some pretty intense battles though to get that level you have to use keyboard shortcuts, use the right weaponry, and push tactics and speed.
    Otherwise, you can just back off a bit and walk through it repeating tactics. Which you will see mentioned in many reviews.
    MP however you cannot do that. You have to play quick and smart. But it is great fighting a smaller fight and faster fight.