[D3] Initial Impressions

Discussion in 'Shooter Games: The Range' started by Raest, Aug 2, 2004.

1. Raest

Raest Well-Known Member

You should be alright Dero.

I've read that the "beta" Cat 4.8's offer 5-10fps more, guess ATI did some work on their opengl driver. Havent tried them yet though.

As to the multiplayer aspect...snipped from Planetdoom.

Will there be Multiplayer?
    Yes, there will be basic multiplayer to start with. Splash Damage, the company who made the Multiplayer title RTCW: Enemy Territory has been hired to work on the simple deathmatch and last man standing type gameplay will be included. The multiplayer aspect is apparently to be designed so that it is fully scalable and mod makers can increase these numbers with different types of gameplay.

2. Basie

Basie Retired Administrator

My card's a GeCube 9800 XT 256 MB and it's doing just fine, even at the highest settings :) Things get a little hairy when there's lots of fireballs on the screen and up-close multiple monster poundings, but I do have everything cranked all the way up.

3. Basie

Re: Doom 3 : Initial Impressions

Yeah, it's not too bad... but I had to wince when, during the opening sequence, one of the characters says to the other something about having to do damage control, and the guy replies in his deep husky voice... "Yeah. You're the control. And I'm the damage."

I was ducking to avoid the anvils falling from the sky... :D

4. CannonFodda

CannonFodda Retired Administrator

it's so damn dark 8O my monitor's crap at the best o times so have to brighten everything up. still dark tho. bit dissappointed how u still find ur armour & ammo in little hidey holes. just encountered the multieyed fireball chuckn beasty 8) 8O 8O scary, but too dark to appreciate any schmicko visuals. running ok on high settings @ 1152x864 2800xp o/c to 3000xp & 9800pro with omega drivers.

5. Basie

I thought that was the best bit! I'm running around shining the torch to spot bad guys... switching to weapon... BAM BAM... shine the torch to see where he's moved to... great stuff! Nothing scarier than an enemy you can't see :D

6. sinbad66

sinbad66 Active Member

almost bought it today
    but hey if multiplayer dont cut it
    then why bother

why make a game these days that wont go global with 32plus online
    they may regret it

still like to hear the feedback

7. Basie

Apart from the fact that the single player game is a lot of fun, people are already starting leagues around the 4 player DM servers in the US. And besides that, it showcases an engine that iD software will be licensing until the cows come home for future game releases (RTCW2 is already being developed using the D3 engine).

So don't worry 'bout iD, financially they'll do just fine outta this one :wink:

8. Ned

Ned Public Forum Coordinator

I think having 2 - 4 in a team is better - imo

9. FeesLess

FeesLess Active Member

Mooooooooooooom, i need a new VC and i want i nooooow :) :)
    Dont think my GF3 TI200 will allow me to play Doom.

10. Karmajay

Karmajay Retired Advisor

I believe the reason they don't have large online player capability is do to the already large hardware requirements.

I mean, those that are complaining about the req's for the single player, how is that gonna work with 16 people in multiplayer??

With 4 people, the framerate can stay fairly high I assume.

11. Fox

Fox Clown Administrator Administrator Moderator

This looks like a mission pach for half-life.

No?

Looks the same to me.

12. Derelict

Derelict Retired Administrator

My understanding of graphic engine rendering means that all there is a position of a monster/character and their point of orientation. The engine then renders the fleshy bits around them.

What difference will there be if there's 16 players and 32 monsters as opposed to 4 players and 44 monsters? The engine will still be rendering the same number of "moving blobby things"

I think the 4 player limit is just a cop out. They do all this work on the graphics engine and leave out the bits that sells a game in this day and age - a good network code that allows for a high number in the multi player aspect.

13. Raest

Raest Well-Known Member

If theres anyone out there that can crank out good code - its John Carmack.

The games only been out for a couple of days - not long enough for any modders to scratch the skin of the capability of the multiplayer. ID wouldnt be dumb enough to make a single-player only engine with limited multiplayer and lose out the hundreds of thousands of dollars in licensing the engine, I'm sure the Activision execs are wetting themselves with the possibility of licensing the engine. The capability is there, they just chose 4 players for the "nostalgia", remember the original doom was 4 players.

Once the SDK is out, I'm sure we'll see new mods that increase the
    multiplayer. Hell, the Linux dedicated server hasnt even been released yet, so its early days. Theres already some server.cfg's that increase the player limit thru a variable.

This comment from ID has bamboozled me a little:

What type of multiplayer system will Doom 3 have (client-server/p2p)?
    The friendly folks at id Software have stated that the peer to peer system is gone and is now server/client based

I always thought the previous Quake games etc were client/server based already. Client sends update to the server saying im at x,y,z spot on the map - server sends that to all other players whose client draws them in.

IIRC the same argument was popping up when the Quake demo first came out - hardware specs way to high so large multiplayer wont ever happen...

Another interesting linky

http://pc.gamespy.com/articles/531/531027p1.html?fromint=1

14. Karmajay

Karmajay Retired Advisor

Ok, just picked up my copy! Woot!

Have to wait to get home to give any comments though!

For those that have it, when you play single player, do you have to have the CD in?

15. Basie

Definitely not. The gameplay is much deeper, and the game engine is worlds apart.

Interesting (if a bit old) article for the tech-heads on what makes the D3 engine special can be found here.

I think it's a wonderful curiosity in its own right (solid game, scary!, maybe a bit cliche'd but still...) but as a demonstration of new technology it shines. Even if I didn't plan to buy RTCW2 the first second it came out :D I'd still be interested in the engine on which it's based.

I will definitely be gearing up for some multiplayer. Like everybody else, I wish they'd made it a bit less limited but I'm not sure it wasn't a pretty smart move. After all, many of the really good competition mods for most major games in the last 5 years have been third party. Look at ETPro, UTComp, etc. Good multiplayer design takes time and effort... it's not just a matter of changing the 'number of players' variable!

Soooo... Ned, bought the game yet? Up for some 2v2? :twisted:

16. Hugo a gogo

Hugo a gogo Well-Known Member

That’s what it is, a demo to sell an engine licence

An engine licence sells for around $US250 000, which is a much better way of getting a return on your money then selling games, which given time will be pirated any way taking away potential profits

As for the 4 player MP, I think they have actually done the right thing for the game and gaming itself

4 players = more personal gaming, less chance of lamers, much easier to fill a game and to run competitions

The fact is, as good as large MP games such as Tribes, BF, BFV etc are it can be really hard to fill a server and get a decent game going after the game has been around for a while. This is the main reason large MP games die a very quick death when people start to loose interest

Also as we have seen lately with BF even with 20 registered players some squads can't even find 12 players to go to war, with 4 players this should be less of a problem

BTW I don't have the game yet so I won't comment on the game its self

17. Ned

Ned Public Forum Coordinator

Hell YES!! The game is in Brisbane at my parents place... will have it here this weekend... new power supply next week, a 6800 Ultra the week after then it's DOOM dX9 heaven at 1600v1200 :p ... roll on STALKER and HL2 :D

18. Rickety

Rickety Administrator Administrator Moderator

The game is simply awesome and I would have bought it even if it didn't have multiplayer at all. The lighting and music are top notch and the voice acting is quite good. Very convincing.

The game is VERY atmospheric. Having only done a small part, I'm looking forward to see how the story pans out. I've been hooked into 'careing' about what happens which is certainly a first for anything brought out by ID Software. Their use of an actual horror writer has clearly paid dividends I feel. There have been areas where I had to simply leave because the music/voices were quite disturbing.

Doom3 is shaping up to be a supurb single player game. The very fact that it has multiplayer is just a nice bonus. It would have been nice if the PC version had coop (I've been told the XBox version has coop?).

In my opinion, hardware requirements are of only minor concern. While we may have crap performance now, this will only improve as better technology surfaces. This has always been the case for great games, Origin paving the way with Wing Commander / Ultima Underworld. These games were virtually unplayable when first released but it was not long before they were silky smooth.

Overall, I'm well pleased with my purchase and I highly recomend this game to anyone that is interested in a good story (particularly horror) and a great slaughter fest :)

Two thumbs up!!

19. Karmajay

Karmajay Retired Advisor

Played about 2 hours or so.

I have a 2.7 P4, 512 RAM, and a 256g 9750 video card. Played on the setting above 800x600 (1124?) with the video settings on high and on the marine difficulty.

I like the game. The graphics and atmosphere are really great. At the beginning I was kinda thinking 'Should I even play this game?', because the atmosphere was so great!

I agree that this is more like SS2 and HL then the original Doom. I also agree that is a good thing. I wasn't a fan of newer games like Serious Sam. This game has more of a storyline.

Also there are some scary scripted moments, such as looking in the bathroom mirror after everything goes down. And some monsters jumping through a door right when you open it. Also, listening to the conversations and radio reports are cool.

Overall, pretty cool game so far

20. Father

Father The Boss Staff Member Administrator Moderator

Gamespot has a rather "interesting" review, they give it a fairly high score but the review seriously cans the gameplay.