[D3] Doom 3 (love it or leave it)

Discussion in 'Shooter Games: The Range' started by Demon_Keeler, Aug 10, 2004.

1. Demon_Keeler

Demon_Keeler Well-Known Member

well I hope thats all it is guys! "under cpu'd" which doesn't matter as I'm waiting on my XP2500-M to arrive from the States soon! ;) only $130 (aus) and will easily clock to 2.5Ghz and if that don't work I'll just smash this bloody thing and get a PS2 ;)

2. Demon_Keeler

Demon_Keeler Well-Known Member

I came from Blaxland!

FPS just running around sits on 60/70 but drops to 40ish when the action heats up!

I'm probably just being to fussy!

3. ShaggyMaster

ShaggyMaster Getting Started

It arrived, it finally arrived. Installed it and after I uninstalled CloneCD, I got to play.

I would have to say that I love this game. Nothing really complex about it. Point and shoot. Old school with updated graphics, how can anybody complain? If you had been reading what id has been saying, why would anybody expect anything different? In my opinion there is just something crazy about a game where there is hardly any down time. I mean, you are constantly moving and shooting. Most of the action games I have played, there are the intense parts, but there are always some kind of downtime. In Doom3, you are a little iffy about pulling up you PDA and checking it out, thinking that if you do; there is a chance that something is going to attack you while you are looking at it. And you always have to check behind you shoulder. You are always pulling out your flashlight to check the dark areas, always double checking corners. Just because there used to be a solid wall there before, doesn’t mean a thing. Monsters come at you from above, below, to the side, and in darkness. It’s like you are never safe. I guess that is why I love it.

I have only been playing the game for about a day, because it was finally dropped into my mailbox yesterday. And like an idiot that I am, I decided to try it on veteran. Yep, won’t be playing that level for a while. I wasn’t even able to get out of “the dungeon†on that level.

And the learning curve is just evil. I have heard about how you will run into some people that haven’t turned into zombies. So the first “Shotgun Zombie†I met, I thought it was one of those guys so I just walk right up to him and he turns and blows me away. Now I don’t trust anybody with a weapon in there hand. I have run into a couple guys that haven’t “converted†yet, so the nice guy that I am, I put them out of their misery. Also, I don’t want them changing on me when my back is turned.

As for how my system runs it, well I don’t get to have the game on Ultra High. I have to run it on Medium. No biggie, I still get to play. And it still looks pretty to me.

All and all, I’m impressed with this game. Maybe I’m a little biased because I'm still a huge fan of the Doom series.

4. RedMan

RedMan Retired Advisor

xp1700+
    GF4ti 128mb
    1 gig of 2700 ram.

Runs fine and clear. Graphics I think now are set a 1024x800, medium settings, and one advanced option turned off.

oh, and I'd pick the level suited to you. I play on Veteren, and I know others do, 3 needed reloads in the underground, about the same in the city, and now in the labs, I haven't reloaded, except one point, buggered if I could get away from a critter, still have yet to make it through.
    If anything, Veteren keeps that edge

5. Howitzer

Howitzer Active Member

You guys are nuts! 8O Veteren? You are going to be spending a lot of time in hell and beyond that level reloading your quicksaves. I played at marine level and finally finished after a week of at least 4 to 6+ hours a day playing time......Its a long one. But a good one.

Blowing away the innocents....Bad form man. :lol: They can help you and continue the storyline. So I'd be careful about shooting first asking questions later. One of the more interesting aspects of the game is the sounds. Especially the monster sounds. After a while you get to know what sounds are which monsters. And can equip the appropriate weapon to blow them away. Unless of coarse they teleport in next to you.

I would have given the game an A+. But with the lack of decent multiplayer I give it a B+. Good multiplayer used to be the iceing on the cake when it came to good FPS's But the trend seems to be FPS stand alone with multiplayer stand alone later. DOOM 3 ARENA? Plus the game tends to get a little tediouse towards the end. Its hard to keep up that edge of "Is there anything new we can do to scare the crap out of them?"

My only other concern with the game was the high system requirements for the game. A lot of us have preety good systems which can kick the snot out of most games. But here comes something which those systems can't even take advantage of all its goodies. I've still yet to hear from anyone who has an ATI X800 or Nvidia 6800 to see how it runs on those cards. But the X800's havn't hit the market here yet. It seems that the game was so well designed as a game that it could have run on an engine that wasn't so demanding and still kicked ass.

6. KnobGoblin

KnobGoblin Retired Captain

Updated the monster chart to include the Archvile plus the REAL chaingunner... plus had to move it as my host (ReadyHosting, never use them!) have inadvertantly locked me out of my FTP server. It should load up faster now for the Aussie visitors as it's hosted at iiNet.

http://members.iinet.net.au/~soutarm/MonsterComparison.htm

7. rubicon

rubicon Retired Captain

Cool, I didn't want to tell you about the chaingunner on venti last night and potentially spoil it for you. :D

8. RedSaltire

RedSaltire Getting Started

Well here goes... IMHO it is the best looking and smoothest playing FPS out there. Yeah I have a beefy system and playing at 1280x1024 I have no problems. It is pretty good, but I read somewhere that in order to keep the [fps] down they minimized the number of monsters that attack you at once to no more than 3-5. I have only played through about half of it, but it seems that there is a pattern emerging...

2 guys jump out at you from the front, and 1 pops out of the wall behind you to scare you. The first few times it was scary but after awhile it became a little predictable.

I must say that this doesn't come close to the "pants wetting" experience of Aliens vs. Predator 2 game. It doesn't suffer from the 3-5 bad guy limit, it is pretty cool to have a Chain Gun and mow down 30-40 aliens without breaking a sweat. I played that again last night after seeing the AvP movie (which was awesome btw, its no Lord of the Rings, but was exactly what I hoped for) And I must say with the expansion pack, AVP2 is still a kick ass game that is much more frightening and adrenaline pumping than Doom3.

--my 2 cents.

9. BadaBING

BadaBING Getting Started

Well Ive recently been given the game from my brother inlaw for my Bday and I got to admit having never played any of the other dooms and not being able to compare it to the previous games I LIKE IT .

He said to play it in the dark and turn the sound up . I loaded it got through the first hour and then had to change the herschey sweats from my duds.

It runs a little slow at times but i need to upgrade my pc and so i cant compain but shes a good game and i agree not the best though due to lack of multi player .

10. KnobGoblin

Read a good "how to" guide for Doom3 today. They matched quality settings with video card RAM.

Low Quality - entry level cards (64MB of onboard RAM)
    Medium Quality - more recent cards (128MB of onboard RAM)
    High Quality - current top of the range cards (256MB, but mentioned a few 128MB cards run fine on this setting)
    Ultra Quality - not recommended for cards with less than 512MB of RAM (which don't exist yet!!!) but can be run on a 256MB card.

The "jarring" is apparently the video card switching textures in and out of memory so I'm going to give medium quality a burl tonight at a higher res (1280x1024 or even 1600x1200)... see how she goes.

11. Wayfarer

Wayfarer Well-Known Member

Now you're talking. AvP2 was the scariest game I've attempted to play.

When Aliens (movie) first came out it did to me what JAWS originally did... I stayed away from the surf all season and even now when I'm in the water I look and squint, and look again under the waves for a 6m white pointer to come and take me away. With Aliens I no longer want to space travel in dingy old frieghters again...err if I were to actually travel in sace that is.

Anyway, never finished AvP...too frightened.

12. KnobGoblin

Well, I've finished the game and have finished my monster comparison page. I think I've got them all in there including the Doom-only and Doom3-only monsters.

http://members.iinet.net.au/~soutarm/MonsterComparison.htm

My final verdict? Too many Imps, not enough Pinky Demons. I've started again playing in Veteran mode and the bad guys seem to dodge a bit more (not a lot more), they're still pretty stupid (which makes for good blasting fun).

13. sinbad66

sinbad66 Active Member

game runs fine for me at 1024x 768 high quality

just finished first level
    not too impressed at all

HL2 looks heaps better

14. RASPUTIN

RASPUTIN Well-Known Member

mwoohahaha so we had a sicky did we :)

15. KnobGoblin

In what way do you mean? HL2 looks washed out, flat compared to Doom3. Take a look at these two screenshots I took on my machine. No tiling in sight, natural shadows and highlights, self-casting shadows... etc. The "pipes in corridors" do get a tad tiring but there are some stunning visual environments further down the track.

Ancient Ruins

End game boss (Cyberdemon)

I read an article that stated the HL2 engine was better than Doom3's because it's facial animation and higher-res textures made the characters more convincing. I'm not sure when game engines were based on the faces of the characters in it especially in a FPS. *shrug*

16. sinbad66

sinbad66 Active Member

no ras it was a work from home day
    hehehehehe

and sorry but doom 3
    reminds me too much of doom/quake/hl

and i still think the hl2 movies look a shiteload better

thanks again ras

and re the screenies
    ive had a lifetime of lava/rock and pipeorgans
    yes they look crisp but thats why i bought a 9800pro