D&D

Discussion in 'Pen and paper games' started by D4iZy, May 31, 2015.

1. D4iZy

D4iZy Just Joined

I loved it ALOT till 3rd version came out, since then have there been any improvements?or is it still the same?

2. Aramar

Aramar Getting Started

Still playing D&D and can say that 3rd edition was ok but 3.5 and pathfinder really streamlined and improved it. Not a fan of 4th ed, I think they butchered too much and implemented too many changes that alot of D&D fans didn't take too :(
    Haven't had much to do with 5th ed but have heard a lot of good reviews, I think the big thing about D&D is to get a good group.

3. Rhumor

Rhumor Getting Started

3.5 got too bloated with all the feats and prestige classes. 4e was a disaster imo. The lasted edition, 5e simplifies the classes a bit and rolls in some of the prestige classes of 3.5 into the classes. A much better version to be playing now.

4. Nekokamiguru

Nekokamiguru Getting Started

I personally feel that 5th ed has dumbed it down a bit too much. But it seems to be what everyone is running with so I will have to take a spoonful of concrete and harden up and get on with telling stories and being a DM.

5. Dolnor

Dolnor Bane of Crickets

I started playing D&D 40 years ago (whitebox + chainmail) and that version was brutal! Then got into AD&D (D&D 1.0) and it has improvements...introduced other shaped dice (whitebox only use 6d for everything!). Played AD&D for 2 years...even went to a gaming convention (pre-internet, pre-computer gaming). But Life got in the way and I had priorities that excluded D&D.

Now I have free time and want to get back into D&D. I've watched the "Critical Role" shows on YouTube (and Geek & Sundry site). I watched other D&D 5e episodic shows on YouTube and it looked like everyone was having a great time. I bought and read the 5e Player Handbook ($28 USD on Amamzon). Made 2 characters (Ranger, Druid, Monk) for practice.

I tried asking to play at the local gaming store but it is DM-locked...need to be vetted by current players/DMs to be "invited" to play. Tried online site Rol20.net but no luck after applying to 6 games. I found that most people online want to play Pathfinder. I was offered a place with a local group of young players (20-27 year olds) but they need me to read the PHB, MM, DM guides, for Pathfinder, before playing (they're a "rule nazi" group...enjoy bickering about rules)...no thanks.

I am up for anything 5e related.

TQQdles™

6. Thymos

Thymos Elder Scrolls Online Officer

I thought that with 4th edition completely. 5th edition brought it back a up a bit with character customization, and is intent on pushing player's choices and actions instead of just rewarding with the best loot all the time. At best it's a new iteration of 3.5. They're also taking their time with it instead of pumping out a dozen books.

Also it's sad that they closed up their Novel division, so we wont really be getting a fresh setting content outside of what they throw at us for the game.

Pathfinder was fun as well, but my only gripe was that it made all purists, people that only take a single class to level 20, way too powerful and versatile in the higher levels.

Right now, I am in the middle of the Storm Kings Thunder campaign with the wife, daughter and friends. Wife is the DM, and I play a wild mage elf from Halruua, that randomly was teleported to the sword coast due to a wild surge. Wild magic is fun, and my character acts very quirky to go along with it.