Constant Out of Memory Errors

Discussion in 'Minecraft (Public)' started by fireh, Sep 10, 2013.

1. fireh

fireh Getting Started

Since the Serenity Server reset I have been getting constant Out of Memory errors. I can move probably 20 blocks before it lags and stops. Any suggestions on how to fix this?

So far I have tried it on two different computers (both of which didn't have this problem on the former server); I've turned my video settings down and changed the priority of the application in task manager.

2. Brew

Brew Well-Known Member

Are you using the latest version of java? Older versions tend to cause these issues. Also, did you install the 32 bit or 64 bit version? I always install the latest of both, and I think that MC will use the 64 if available.

3. fireh

fireh Getting Started

I've got the latest version of java and it is running 32 bit. Far as I know everything is completely up to date and both of these computers have good video cards and a decent amount of ram.

4. DaedalusAlpha

DaedalusAlpha Well-Known Member

You can configure how much memory you allow minecraft to use in the FTB launcher, maybe the default number is a bit too low for you? Or maybe it's too high, and you need to reduce it a bit to not run out of physical memory.

Have you checked your current memory consumption while playing? does it look like you're actually running out of memory?

5. Irimar

Irimar Retired Captain

In the FTB launcher, click on the options tab and see what your RAM Maximum is set to. With 32 bit Java, though, you're limited in how much RAM you can use.

6. DeeP

DeeP Retired Captain

I always needed a minimum of 2G allocated to FTB to avoid out of memory crashes

If you have got it set to default in the FTB launcher it will only be 1G - to view this and change the setting go to options on your launcher (prior to hitting launch) to see the allocated MAX Ram amount, if you need to increase it just slide the button across to the right to increase it.

My setting has changed before back to default when I changed mod packs which it should not do so this may have happened to you :D

7. DaedalusAlpha

DaedalusAlpha Well-Known Member

Also another thing I came to think of; maybe the view distance could be reduced. I don't know how much memory is used up by a far view distance compared to normal.

8. fireh

fireh Getting Started

Thank you for the suggestions. It appears that I was running 32 bit java on a 64 bit operating system. I will try downloading the correct java and try again.

9. fireh

fireh Getting Started

Downloading the 64-bit Java and changing the amount of ram fixed it! Yay! Thank you. :)