Civilization 5

Discussion in 'RPG, Simulation, Strategy and Others' started by Spectre8, Mar 4, 2010.

1. Spectre8

Spectre8 Retired Administrator

Yep - it's coming!!

While Civ4 was (and still is) rated as an almost perfect title (Beyond the Sword really put the icing on the cake!), I can't help but drool at the thought of what's to come with the next installment.

Details are a bit thin on the ground at the moment, but keep your eyes on the main website: Civilization V

There's a list of new features and updates there, along with some great looking screenshots. Interestingly, they'll be releasing this at the same time as a Facebook version. And if Farmville can make it as a huge title, I can't wait to see what Civ5 will do to the bored housewife market out there! :p

Due for release around "Fall 2010"

EDIT: New cinematic trailer available for local (Aussie) download here.

Last edited: May 7, 2010
  2. Justin Kace

Justin Kace Retired Captain

Yeah there's not really a lot to go by at the mo. A bit of a blurb and about 5 screenies.

But woo! I'm dribbling a bit in anticipation. :)

3. brohawk

brohawk Retired Captains

I love Civ... not sure how they can make it better unless they allow us to colonize other planets and include space fleets, then we will have a real 4x that is pretty much unlimited.... of course a turn may take you a day or two :)

4. Spectre8

Yeah it's hard to see where they could improve from where they left off - but I thought that about Civ2 as well. I also thought that after Civ4 - then Warlords, then Beyond the Sword :D

I has faith :)

5. brohawk

brohawk Retired Captains

maybe we can get a PBEM game going :)

6. Spectre8

Civ5 is the feature article for Australia's PCPowerplay magazine this month - it's a great read, and sheds a lot of light on what we're likely to see.

It's sounding like a VERY different game...

7. Bawheidbob

Bawheidbob Well-Known Member

The series was just too complicated for my simple brain :)

8. Morlak

Morlak Active Member

I can hardly wait for this, its gonna be awesome.

9. Melski

Melski Well-Known Member

Are they going to support the game this time, with timely fixes for their multiplayer and updated content. Or they just making some money again?
    I know lets take stacking units away again... until the expansion like the last 3 times. great idea. ooo, how about taking away religion and espionage, that should give us 3 expansions this time!

10. brohawk

brohawk Retired Captains

I don't think religion and espionage will be expansions... they probably took them away to reduce imbalance in the game. same reason you only need one luxury resource now and the limited the strategic resources on how many units you can produce from each one. their example was one iron mine can supply 5 units that reguire iron and no more than that. you can only create another iron unit when one of the existing units dies or you disband it

anyway, it sounds like the combat is a lot more involved, which for me is a good thing. it is more like a chess game now in that regard.

11. Sleighty

Sleighty Retired Captain

wow just noticed this thread, cont wait! love Civ :)

12. GrimReaper

GrimReaper Well-Known Member

Same here!

13. Rechs

Rechs Retired Captain

14. Ramon

Ramon Active Member

drool!

15. yurick

yurick Active Member

Also cant wait for this installment of Civ. Has been one of my all time favourite games since I first discovered it as kid. Sounds like it is another major shift for the game so could be interesting :)

For those that like the game this site is a great resource for all versions and has lots of links to info on civ5 as well

http://www.civfanatics.com/civ4/

Great source of guides/mods etc

16. Sp!at

Sp!at Well-Known Member

For me, Civ 4 came of age when the mod Fall from Heaven (and the mod mod Full Further) were released. :D

17. Drac

Drac Squad Officer

Never really got into Civ 4 much, I always seemed to progress though the tech too fast and was constantly having to micromanage everything to get stuff up to date. Just though all that should have moved heaps slower.

18. Spectre8

I know what you mean Drac. If you play on normal (or fast) speed, the years and tech fly by, to the point where you can play an entire game in one sitting. I almost always play it on Epic or Marathon - where a game can take me up to a week to play. This way I get the most out of each era - but with it, comes more micromanaging... so there's the payoff.

I'm a huge fan of the turn-based nature of it, as it really lets you take your time with it and play at your leisure... Just one more turn :p

19. badminton

badminton Getting Started

I was a little dubious about just how much they could improve over Civ 4 until I read the PCPP preview. Hex-based maps and limited unit stacks is such a simple yet hugely effective idea. It'd play a lot more like the old turn based strategy games and severely reduce the effectiveness of a massive army if it's not maneuvered properly. Terrain types, army composition and choosing the site of a battle all of a sudden become the difference between victory and defeat rather than just a couple of minor modifiers and maybe a few extra lost swordsmen. Combat was always the weakest link with Civilization in my opinion, it never really felt like an invasion whenever I attacked anyone and it almost always came down to numbers and tech with strategy taking a back seat. Looks like all of that is finally changing.

Colour me excited :D

20. Spectre8

Totally agree there badminton. As much as I liked amassing a flotilla for a beach landing - the "stack of doom" was simply too powerful, and too unreal. End battles were just not what they should have been, due mainly to the sheer number of factories pumping out a tank every other turn. Unstoppable in many ways.

Having said that - I played Civ4 solidly for about three or four years - so not complaining - just observing. Very keen to see the next iteration.