Civ 5 requires Steam

Discussion in 'RPG, Simulation, Strategy and Others' started by brohawk, Sep 23, 2010.

1. brohawk

brohawk Retired Captains

:mad: I am not happy at all. My friend got his copy yesterday and the game requires Steam. The last time I had Steam I had to rebuild my PC. I will not be playing this game until they remove that requirement. I hate companies that do this.

2. Beavis

Beavis Well Torn Member and Previously Retired Captain

When was the last time you used steam?.I think you will find that Steam is now really great,especially for saving your games without the need for physical media.

I have been using it for the past 6 years or so and I think you will find it has been refined quite a bit and a lot of TOG (and other players) use it.

You have to remember Steam is not releasing the game ,just the digital download of said game.

3. King_Rocket

King_Rocket Well-Known Member

Yeah Bro, its time to man up and give Steam Another go. :)
    If the retailer didn't make it clear that Steam was required he might be eligible for a refund.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2010
  4. brohawk

brohawk Retired Captains

the last steam game I had was Dawn of War II and it killed my system. That was the third time I have given Steam a chance. I am no longer interested in supporting crap software. There is no reason to have Steam, especially on a RTS game.

5. Jakob_Pavlov

Jakob_Pavlov Retired Captain

Sorry that you have not had good experiences Bro, but I have to say that Steam is one of the most valued pieces of software on my PC. I have even paid more (and likely will do again) for Steam versions of games so as to have the full intergration.

6. Bawheidbob

Bawheidbob Well-Known Member

Got to say it is a pretty poor 'requirement' what are the reasons behind it?

I have Steam myself but having things like forced on me would annoy me also.

7. Venrith

Venrith Active Member

the only annoyance i have with it is civ5 will prolly arrive 2moz, but because of steam it wont allow me to install it till friday :mad:

8. Drac

Drac Squad Officer

Steam is awesome and it's done more for PC gaming than any large chain branded brick-n-mortar game store ever has. It's also one of the better digital game stores around, the only ones that really compare are Impulse and GOG. It craps all over EA, Ubisoft and Direct2Drive's digital offerings.

Also, millions of people run steam and have zero issues with it. I find it very difficult to see how steam, which is all built on-top of an open source web-browser engine, would damage your machine to the point that you'd need to rebuild it. It's much more likely Games For Windows Live killed your system as that's also required for DOWII and it hooks into parts of the system for DRM that it really shouldn't be and can really mess things up. Steam's inbuilt DRM is much more passive and doesn't hook into any system level stuff for verification.

If a game requires Steam it's probably using Steamworks for multiplayer or in-the-cloud and cross-platform save games, like Modern Warfare 2 ect.

That being said, I can understand why people are apprehensive towards steam, but if you embrace it there's a heap of benefits. Think of it like Xbox Live or the Playstation Network, it's the game service the PC has been lacking and that Microsoft has failed to create.

Jakob_Pavlov likes this.
  9. Zhul

Zhul Retired Captain

If installing Steam is mandatory does that mean if someone doesn't have an internet connection and buys the game they won't be able to play it (does it require a connection to validate purchase)?

10. Jigoku

Jigoku Retired Captain

It will require an internet connection to activate it and it will state that requirement quite clearly on the box.

I'm much more inclined to believe Drac's suggestion that GFWL is at fault than Steam. I've had Steam installed on all my systems since it was released and it has NEVER been the cause of a full system melt down.

Then again, I've never had an issue with GFWL either ...

(I do fully expect one of these two programs to completely destroy my computer in the next few days now though ...)

11. brohawk

brohawk Retired Captains

Well for the record, HL2 didn't have Games For Windows I am pretty sure and yet it ended up screwing up my PC. Also, UT3 also screwed up my PC via Steam and I am pretty sure that didn't use Games for Windows either, but I could be wrong.

I am glad all of you don't have any issues and think Steam is the second coming in gaming. That is nice. I still am at a loss as why I would need Steam to play an RTS game aside from my obviously lottery winning odds of being the only person on the planet (maybe the universe) that has an issue with Steam causing me grief.

12. Stuman

Stuman Guest

I have to agree here - I fail to see why I should be forced to subscribe to a separate service to use a product that I paid for? It's akin to me buying a car, but only being able to use one petrol companies fuel to run it.

I'm also one of the many who have had issues with Steam in the past (and after 20 years in the PC industry, I hate the software with a passion, have seen plenty of times it causing issues - especially if you lose internet connectivity - and quite frankly do not trust Valve or the other online distro companies as far as I could throw them.

Tbqh, the whole "if you wish to play, you must sign up to this service" is leaving me with very cold feet. If it's not Blizzard forcing you to use Battlenet to play their games, its the forcing of people to use Steam, etc. One day soon there will be a monthly charge (like Xbox Live) that if you don't pay, will mean you can't play anything.

And by then you won't have a choice.

And what if you don't have internet access but like gaming? I know of a few people who's gaming experience ended a couple of years ago because of their inability to get internet access (lack of funds, remote location, crappy laggy services, etc). Game companies forcing these things onto their customers are actively discriminating against those sections of society - and the gaming groups like us just roll over and accept it because of some perceived "benefits" - the same things that we used to get for free (you know, like the media, manuals, a support number to call if the game fried our machine) and that were funded from the title price of the games.

Sorry, this sort of greed manifesting as a "benefit" excuse just pisses me off to no end.

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 23, 2010
  13. Purg

Purg Well-Known Member

Hey, I'll throw my hat into the ring for Steam - to the point where I can't remember the last time I purchased a game from a store. If I can't buy it on Steam then I probably won't bother.

I'd give Steam another shot. To be frank, I'd be very surprised if the issues you are seeing are caused by Steam. I've had it since day dot across many machines and never had an issue with it. Has saved me wads of cash and closet space and best of all, no need to keep my library of titles near my PC to feed it a disc if I want to play a game.

14. TheBigBad

TheBigBad World of Warcraft Officer

15. hadrian6616

hadrian6616 Well-Known Member

Steam is good for buying when the dollars is good - like today! When i got the orange box, i got steam and it has worked fine since. Games for Windows live i have for SF4 and i hate it.

16. Morlak

Morlak Active Member

Well i bought the game knowing that i would have to connect to Stream to validate it, no where did i read that i would have to have Steam installed to play it. I was extremely PO'ed when i validated, uninstalled Steam and couldn't play Civ V. This is BS. I want my money back. I know alot of you use it and love it, but if i wanted another piece of spyware running on my computer i would surf some unsavory sites and get it that way, not have it forced upon me by a game company. I am one very unhappy customer!!!

17. Brootal

Brootal Well-Known Member

While I was originally annoyed with the first game that "required" steam, I have to say I've grown to the point that I don't mind it. I will purchase games through steam, but I don't use it exclusively.

Almost any game these days has some sort of crappy internet connection required validation tool installed. Steam is probably the least offensive of all of them. It's not "spyware" and if you're worried about spyware, you need to get over it, if someone wants to track what you do, they'll do it, it doesn't take a bit of software on your PC.

It's social functionality, while it could be better is useful and lightweight.

Time rolls on things change, you can vote with your feet, but software publishers don't care about you, they continue to sell more units year after year, a few thousand people who don't want to accept steam is not huge $ in lost revenue.

I don't know why people are so shocked by this, it has been this way for years, almost every major title retails for $80-100 in Australia, every publisher does it. This is not a steam issue, they "try to keep their prices inline with retail outlets" walk into a retail outlet, JB has Civ5 at $89, my calcs on curent exchange rate it comes out to about $85 on steam. The publisher (not steam in this case) sets the price. They all know they can get away with $90 for an A title in Australia, so they charge it.

18. Spectre8

Spectre8 Retired Administrator

I couldn't be happier that it's a Steam game - but I'm one that's never (not once) had a problem with it.

As others have said, most new titles these days have some online validation software, or force you to sign up to their "community". It used to be GameSpy was all the rage (and I didn't see this backlash with Borderlands) and now there's Steam. It's not game/developer specific, like BattleNet, so I don't see why people get so passionately riled against it.

Either way - it's not that big a deal when we're talking about Civ here - I'd install a virus if it meant I could play :D

19. Drac

Drac Squad Officer

Sounds like your PC gets screwed up a lot by installing games. I'm curious now what you mean by screwed up, like what actually happens that you think steam is doing?

I will admit, being required to install Steam for a game is a bit much, but as I like what steam offers it's a non-issue for me.

Impulse (by Stardock) have a much better solution for offering "extended" game services like matchmaking ect called Impulse::Reactor. It offers DRM and Matchmaking for multiplayer, community chat, friends lists ect but doesn't require you to install the Impulse client and digital store software, it's self contained within the game. Basically Reactor is a clientless/storeless version of steam where everything happens via an overlay in-game.

Stardock Reveals Impulse Reactor for Developers - Shacknews - PC Games, PlayStation, Xbox 360 and Wii video game news, previews and downloads

Alas, it seems steam has a bit of a stranglehold on digital distribution as I recall news sites reporting figures like 90% of all digital games sales for PC happen on steam, so from a developers perspective there's really only one online game store worth investing development time in.

No, every retailer does it. Digital games should be cheaper. The cost of packaging/printing is not negligible, and the cost of operating a store and staffing it and only being able to have shelf space for x amount of popular games at a time means that brick and mortar retail stores need to mark up prices higher in order to meet the cost of operation. Some of it is tax related, but not much. You may recall price wars for popular games where retailers are selling GTAIV and COD:MW2 for $70, sometimes less on release day. They're still making a profit on that versus the base cost of that item and if they sell enough volume they will cover operating costs too which is why you only see it happing for very popular game titles.

Digital stores should be cheaper because there's no packaging/printing cost, and the cost of running the store is well and truly outweighed by their being unlimited shelf space to sell to every gamer of every type rather than just relying on selling a handful flavour-of-the-month games. The mark-up to $80+ USD (not AUD) on Steam is pure greed on part of the Publisher as they're selling stock of the retail copies to stores in Australia for a hell of a lot less. It may not be fair to retail stores for steam to have cheaper prices, but as a Civ fan you should know the benefits of a capitalist society :p

20. Jigoku

Jigoku Retired Captain

The conspiratorial consensus is that the retailers forced publishers to mark up the price on digital distribution by threatening not to stock any of their titles in store, PC or otherwise ...