Chicken coop now a protected zone

Discussion in 'Minecraft (Public)' started by Obsi, Sep 23, 2011.

1. Obsi

Obsi Well-Known Member

There are (to my knowledge) 4 forum members here have children who use the server... so that's 4 "lots" of kids if you like.... I don't know if all of them have been on it at all, though I know 3 have. Not all the "children" are very young anyway (I think the oldest is 12 or 14?), most have been playing on our servers longer than many of the adults here, and 3 "lots" belong to modmins.... so they should be well versed in how everything works.

Of course it's not beyond the realms of possibility that it's the children - however I know that because they are children (and their behaviour would reflect badly on the parent), they do tend to get the rules reinforced to them more often than an adult would. Also I think they tend to play differently to the adults. I don't think that going around stealing people's stuff and killing all the chickens, would actually occur to them.

I did ask one of the kids if they broke the spider spawner when it disappeared, because I could see that a child might consider that dangerous and think that vanquishing it would be a good deed for the community (not realising it was wanted)... but I was assured it was not them.

Given that we haven't seen this level of "disappearance" in our other, modded, servers... which the children all had access to. I think it's far more likely to be an adult, doing it because they think they can, or because they are new and don't understand the rules.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2011
  2. Elithawyn

Elithawyn Well-Known Member

I have a modest collection of supplies that I hope no one dipped into :(

Sorry to hear that others have been hurt by someone on our TOG server. Seems so senseless.

3. AdmiralTriggerH

AdmiralTriggerH Retired Captain

It's very sad that people are taking liberties with other peoples stuff.
    Although I did once borrow some wood from someone and forgot to replace it but that's the worst I've done. (I apologize to whoever it was, although if it had have been done to me I wouldnt have noticed missing wood)
    On the issue of missing picks, a few were me, over the last few days I have fallen into lava a lot (my basement has glass encased lava now) and took a few of those picks with me, and I'm sure others have had the same problem. Hence I tend to keep about 4 or so in my storage.
    So far I don't think I've lost anything to our mystery thief but I have 28 diamonds and a golden apple that someone was kind enough to give to me.
    I check the chest that they live in regularly so if they go missing then I would suggest a house to house search to locate the thief as I believe there is only one golden apple so far.

4. DaedalusAlpha

DaedalusAlpha Well-Known Member

I just found a raw chicken in the water inside the chicken coop. So if there is any water inside the pens we can assume at least a few chickens will manage to drown themselves. So that's at least one way to explain chickens dying.

5. BlackD

BlackD Server Admin

Is the water by any coincidence up against a non-fence wall? :)

6. DaedalusAlpha

DaedalusAlpha Well-Known Member

Nope it's kind of in the middle of the pen (I'm talking about Obsis main pen in the middle of spawn)

7. Obsi

Obsi Well-Known Member

The water is one block deep, and chickens (and other mobs) don't appear to drown..... in one deep water their heads are above the water and they can easily jump out..... In the whole time the coop has been there, I've never seen any meat in the water - eggs yes, chickens yes, but never meat.....

It could be someone killed a chicken and didn't notice the meat fell in there?

But I'll remove the water just in case (I don't know who put it in there)

Last edited: Sep 27, 2011
  8. MadMax

MadMax Well-Known Member

Technically the water is IN a non-fence wall of it's own, so it could be hitting the wall of the water area.

True though, I can't recall seeing meat in the water.

ON my singleplayer, my coop is all dirt block, as in a 2 deep pit in dirt, and it has water in a 2x2 blocks, and they have survived just fine it that.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2011
  9. Reoh

Reoh Well-Known Member

All mobs are programmed to "jump/swim" up in water so they can't drown in it unless there are blocks above the water stopping them going up. Mobs also ignore each other in an up/down axis so can stack infinately in a spot and not push each other down.

+1 for turning the mods on without mentioning it and catching the jerk.