BF3 on STEAM???

Discussion in 'Battlefield (Public)' started by Printman, May 30, 2011.

1. Purg

Purg Well-Known Member

I don't see an only in that sentence. I bought Shift 2 from what I presume is the same service. Didn't have any problem with it and allowed a pre-load. I would prefer to have it in Steam as I like all my titles bundled into one service but I don't think I'll really care where I get BF3 from, just that I have BF3. :D

2. Mixa...

Mixa... Retired Captain

Just downloaded and installed the Origin client...
    They are trying so hard to be Steam it's not even funny.
    In-game chat, in-game web browsing, integration with xbox live, psn and Facebook.
    Was vaugly impressed it picked up that I'd bought Battle for ME:Rise of the Witch King 3 years ago and offered me the chance to redownload it...I'd forgotten I'd bought it

edit:
    Point being...I CAN see them making this an ORIGIN exclusive to push the service...Buy it retail, sign up for Origin, buy it from EA sign up for Origin and perhaps buy it from Steam....still have to sign up for Origin.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2011
  3. Drac

Drac Squad Officer

BF3 will be Origin exclusive, they will only put it on Steam if they have no other choice, and even then it will probably be 6-12 months after the Origin release and still require you to sign in via the origin service.

Oh and...

Origin price for BF3 in Australia is $80 USD.
    Origin price for BF3 in America is $59 USD.

After checking the AU price I loaded the store again via a USA west coast VPN tunnel.

Last edited: Jun 8, 2011
  4. Reoh

Reoh Well-Known Member

I agree. The service isn't as "new" as people think, its just rebranded/launched to raise attention. They want to draw people into Origin and a big release title like this is the best way to start.

Also, OzGameShop is doing preorders for $45.
    Battlefield 3 Game PC - ozgameshop.com

[edit]
    PS - You can often still activate or just launch a non-steam game through steam if you really wanna.

Last edited: Jun 10, 2011
  5. Buttersoft

Buttersoft Well-Known Member

Can you fully link it though, so it updates and can check it's own integrity?

And yes, pricing blows. Drac, could you have bought it the way you described? Cos if so I think we'll all do it. Screw the regional pricing models. As if it costs them another damn cent to release it here.

@ Purg not caring where he gets it from :) You wouldn't say that if you'd had experience with EA's downloader early on. The thing used to be confusing as hell, inefficient, and frankly broken. I had to download the Northern Strike patch for BF2142 like three times, and even then it wouldn't install it. It just donwloaded it, the rest was up to me, and that game was a right pain to get going properly. See the NS threads in 2142 if you don't believe there can be hours of work and eight or nine steps to be done in order... :D

I'm hoping they've learned a few things by now, but then again, this is EA. Count on this being a bad decision.

6. Purg

Purg Well-Known Member

Only have Shift 2 experience and downloading the first patch appeared to be pretty painless.

My early Steam experiences weren't that great. Often Steam just being loaded would max out my processors and updates would bring my machine to its knees. Now you'd barely know it was running. So hopefully things have progressed since then. :)

7. Draadnor

Draadnor Well-Known Member

The other problem, if it is an 'exclusive' Origin download, is that my bandwidth is only 7GB / Month. My ISP is Bigpond and they run Steam servers, so as long as a game is on their servers I can download it unmetered.

8. Purg

Purg Well-Known Member

I think that's only for the digital distribution. I'd be highly shocked if there were no boxed copy. You should be safe.

9. C4

C4 Retired Captain

no steam option = boxed copy for me.

10. Buttersoft

Buttersoft Well-Known Member

That's a fair point. I used to loathe Steam for precisely that reason too. I'm praying Origin runs smoothly, I'm just a bit pessimistic about the fact :)

11. Purg

Purg Well-Known Member

At least for Shift 2, it was simply a game delivery mechanism. I downloaded the game from their servers and that was it. Updates came the same as they traditionally came, a file download from a website link that I executed and clicked done.

If they tried to follow Steam's community model. I have Steam, I don't need another one. Then I'd be annoyed.

I'll wait up to 'almost release' to see where I'll go. I'd prefer Steam even if it was a few bucks more because I like to consolidate and I really won't mind paying top dollar (well, within reason) for BF3 as I can see I'll be spending hundreds of hours in it at a minimum. If there's no Steam information the night before and no pre-load, I'll probably go Origin. That's why I have EA's version of Shift 2 and not Steams. When it comes to games, I can be a very impatient man. :p

12. Mixa...

Mixa... Retired Captain

Or grab one of those legal keys linked in the public BF3 thread ($26)...it is an origin download but you ARE going to need to use that any way to play and as I stated earlier it seems to let you redownload as often as you like.

13. Reoh

Reoh Well-Known Member

If its activated on Steam yes.

If its only running as a non-steam game then no, you'd have to update it through other means (presumably Origin, EA's store may do that; some games can do it themselves too).

14. Melmoth

Melmoth Retired Captain

Thanks for the tip! I hadn't noticed that before, but I think I might go for that one. The pricing for these online downloads is quite ridiculous, really. The Swedish price at Origin is ~71 USD, so I'd be better off buying a boxed copy at my local computer store for ~50 USD. I really don't want any more boxes taking up space at home, though, so this cdkey thing is looking pretty good.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2011
  15. Mixa...

Mixa... Retired Captain

16. Benda

Benda Well-Known Member

So, after reading this article i'm not convinced that it wont be on Steam by release. Well here's hoping anyway.

"...We believe in absolute freedom of choice to allow customers to buy through whatever retail outlet... as long as they're buying an EA game, we're delighted," he says. "We feel like if you buy the product with Origin, where we're going on a long-term basis is we'll integrate some of the Origin feature set into many of our highest-profile IP... but by all means if your preferred retailer is Best Buy or Direct2Drive or Impulse or Steam or Amazon... we're going to make our product available to you...."

Are people still holding out buying in anticipation that it will be on Steam, or are you going with pre-order DVD versions from the likes of OzGameshop, JB's and EB Games etc. I still havent discounted buying it from CDKeysHere for 25 bucks.

I just really don't want a DVD version...period.

17. C4

C4 Retired Captain

I prefer it on steam but it depends on what's on offer .... if not retail for me.

18. Binary-Ninja

Binary-Ninja Well-Known Member

what ever will be the best way to install on the mac for me .. probably steam

19. Tiprat

Tiprat Well-Known Member

Origin

Origin - Welcome

Is this EA's shot at competing with Steam? If so i doubt it will be on steam.

20. Purg

Purg Well-Known Member

Yes.

Bought Shift 2 through it - up until a day before release there was no word on it being available on Steam and Origin offered a pre-load so I just went for it.

Service seems pretty unobtrusive and you can patch large files so updates won't be as potentially large as those on Steam.

I'd prefer to buy it off Steam only so it can sit with the other 200+ games I have on there but if it isn't an option, I'm not that bothered.