Best Game Ever?

Discussion in 'Retro Gaming and Nostalgia!' started by Maleficus, May 29, 2008.

1. Ray88

Ray88 Just Joined

i recall a game i played a long way back, and i was seriously addicted to it, not sure if much know of it, but it was named KKND, Krush Kill and Destroy.. was quite a addictive game but i cried when windows xp didnt support it and stopped.

2. Mecha-Wombat

Mecha-Wombat Well-Known Member

Hmm very interesting that SEGA one of the definative makers of games in the 80s and 90s has one person mentioning them

Not that I care I am and always be a NINTENDO PHANBOI:D

3. Kaptain Reefer

Kaptain Reefer Well-Known Member

Crueball a pinball game for the Sega mega drive with motley crue music in the background was my fav game of all time

fav master system game was "rc racer"

fav pc game was "total anihilation"

playstation 1 all the "crash bandicoot" games

'

Last edited: Aug 31, 2009
  4. Pure Mongrel

Pure Mongrel Retired Captain

I won't say my picks are the best games of all time, just that these games made a huge impact on me.

Wizball on the C64 - First co-op game I ever played (Although I was always the cat as I did not own the computer :) )

7th Guest on the PC - First game to use live footage (I believe). Puzzles, scares and a good story. My mate and I started the game and did not go to bed till we finished it.

X-Wing, Tie Fighter, Battletech, Mechwarrior, Wing Commander and Wing Commander Privateer on the PC.

Killer Instinct (SNES) and Killer Instinct Gold (N64) - The only fighter to date I played every character through and perfected the combos. No other fighter has come close for me.

Resident Evil 1 and Silent Hill on PS - I have never been so scared playing a game. Loved every minute.

Clive Barkers Undying - PC

Everquest on PC - My intro to MMORPG ... and the lose of hours of my life :)

HALO on XBOX - Ok I may be a little biased as I worked for Microsoft at the time launching the original XBOX console in Australia. But to this day I have never seen a game title make such an impact on the gaming community. Love or Hate M$, this was the title that made XBOX a household name. There would be no XBOX 360 today without it.

Last edited: Aug 31, 2009
  5. Rage

Rage Retired Moderator

Loved Digger. Prolly my first game EVER and on the old XT. Can still remember the music :D *eyes roll back as I remenisce* Anyways, also, Street Fighter 2 and more recently (so it prolly doesn't fit into this forum real well) but I spent HOURS on GTA3. I waited and waited for that to come out on the XBox.

Edit: And Mario 3 on NES.
    Edit2 : And Double Dragon 2. I remember sharing a keyboard to play 2 player on that game :D

Last edited: Sep 4, 2009
  6. james_siy

james_siy Just Joined

Road Rash on sega
    Tony hawks and Crash bandicoot for playstation

7. rrahl

rrahl Getting Started

PC:
    Alpha Centuri (without the game-horribly breaking expansion)
    Planescape Torment (best story ever in a PC game?)
    Ultima Online (seven years of fun)

Console:
    Odyssey2: UFO. (tee hee)
    NES Solomon's Key. I beat it, without realizing there was a save code. Seriouly. If you played it, you will groan.
    SNES Street Fighter 2, Madden Football
    Sega CD Doom
    PS2: Katamari (both)

Other favorites:
    Eye of the beholder D&D, Baldurs Gate, SWG before it was destroyed, City of Heroes, Diablo 2 (expansion version).

8. myron_au

myron_au Just Joined

Games that I put the most time into. Well, actually I don;t always 'play' games, so much as wring every last bit of joy from them until there's simply nothing left to do. Some are just that good

Solstice on the NES. Can anyone say maze game?
    CronoTrigger on the SNES
    Tenchu on the PSone along with Diablo (No i didn't have the PC version then)
    And on PC? where does one start, and then stop?
    wc3. deus ex. thief. alpha centauri.

TETRIS!

9. Mr_Rooter

Mr_Rooter Just Joined

Wasteland on the Amiga. Best game ever till Fallout 1 & 2, which I assume were made by people whose best game ever was Wasteland on the Amiga.

10. Tulgar

Tulgar Battlefield Leader Staff Member Moderator

I loved this game! I spent hours and hours on it. I think you can down load a windows compatible version somewhere.

11. maomoondog

maomoondog Just Joined

Jet Set Willy, on the ZX Speccy. Unbeatable!

12. delushin

delushin Well-Known Member

anyone recall a game called Monty Mole? I think maybe on the C64 or Amiga ... The music was the addictive part and has lead to be many dance remix's

13. maomoondog

maomoondog Just Joined

Oh yeah, I remember that one. I had it on the Spectrum. I seem to remember the bad guy on the loading screen looked a lot like Arthur Scargill, the leader of the National Union of Miners back in the 80's, who led the miner's strike.

14. Bort

Bort Well-Known Member

The good ole Spectrum - what a machine. Halls of the Things - kept me entertained for hours.

15. NapalmD

NapalmD Just Joined

Some of the best of the retro games:

Dragon Warrior
    - The first video game rgp I played that had an over world map. Felt like a king after defeating that damn dragon.

The Legend of Zelda- Nintendo, the first action/rpg game I ever played. I remember saving money up (being a poor kid this wasn't easy) and getting that magic gold Nintendo cartridge. I can name that Zelda tune in 2 beats :)

Defender - Kids use to get into fist fights at 7/11 (this was before guns became common in the hood) over the high score on the arcade machine. High Scores were serious business. Getting your 3 initials into the top ten was an accomplishment.

Atari Combat - The first programmable AI companion in a video game. By programmable I mean tape down the one "shoot" button and lay the joystick on its side so the little "player 2" tank randomly spins in a circle and you can fight against it.

16. Redbeard

Redbeard Well-Known Member

Couple of highlights from my gaming history:

C64: Elite, Ultima IV, Pirates (was it on this or Amiga, kinda hazy)
    Amiga: Dungeon Master, Wing Commander, Wings, Civilization, Populous
    PC: Star Control 2, Final Fantasy VII, Fallout 1&2, Diablo 2, Operation Flashpoint (LAN)
    MMO: Wow

Hard to name just one - the early days with U4 and Elite sure took away sleeping hours. Perhaps the most lasting one is still Wow of now as it's pretty amazing how I still keep playing it after 4+ years - although with less spare time on my hands with job and family my gaming is split more sporadically preventing from burning out on a game.

Still the social aspect of MMOs is something that didn't exist on single player games of yore. Probably missed some labels as well in this short list.

17. merwood

merwood Active Member

from my gaming history some of the best games i think are

Final fantasy VII
    Lunar 2 Eternal Blue
    Wonder Boy
    Summer games/winter for the commodore 64
    Pacman
    bubble bobble

Last edited: Jan 3, 2010
  18. brohawk

brohawk Retired Captains

I know that this thread is supposed to be retro, but... Dragon Age: Origins has to amongst the best games ever. The game just rocks if you are into fantasy RPGs that are a hybrid RTS/TB system.

19. Harry Reems

Harry Reems Active Member

Best arcade game was without a doubt Stryder for me. Being able to use a grappling hook to traverse walls and roofs was just way cool!

C64, it was Racing Destruction Set. You could create the most absurd tracks ever, tweak your car, change the gravity then try and race on them.

For DOS, Stunt Driver. Same deal as Racing Destruction Set. Create obscenely crazy tracks then try and drive on them. This was more of a simulator, and funnily enough looked like it was used as a simulator for driving. Obviously the Devs of Trackmania used this game as inspiration.

Also for DOS Destruction Derby. Just forget the racing, it sucked. The real meat in this game was the "Bowl of Hell". What a kick ass game this was, and nothing has ever compared to it.

Last edited: Jan 14, 2010
  20. Keli

Keli Well-Known Member

If I was voting based on sheer number of hours played my top game would be Tetris.

Most played "proper" game would be Civilisation Parts 1-3.