Best Console for a 6yr old Human Female?

Discussion in 'Console Talk (Public)' started by PHRAETUS, Feb 3, 2014.

1. PHRAETUS

PHRAETUS Active Member

I'm a PC gamer, my partner is a PC gamer, our daughter will be a PC gamer, but not quite yet.

After a discussion of how best to meet our girls growing gaming needs, it was decided that perhaps the time has come to to introduce the small person to the joys of joypads with a Console. Thoughts being that we could spend time with her playing rather than being a spectator & it could become a more family orientated activity.

But which console to choose? What will suit the growing tastes & needs of the average 6yr old human female? Which has (or will have) the better range of software for "Family" entertainment?

Anyone have any thoughts on this?
    My last console was a PS1!

2. Draadnor

Draadnor Well-Known Member

I would stick with handhelds for her (ie., 3DS etc) until she's a bit older and can have her own PC.

Last edited: Feb 3, 2014
  3. burnx

burnx Well-Known Member

I agree with the handheld advice as well, mainly for Nintendo systems like the 3DS, but mainly for the older titles on the GBA (which I believe are available on the virtual store). Why?

We ourselves grew up on old games and exposing our kids to them before they play newer titles helps them appreciate solid game mechanics over eye candy and see how games have developed over time. They may even have the same interest of old titles as you do :)

4. PHRAETUS

PHRAETUS Active Member

Only thing with the hand helds is that it's not something we can do with her. We can watch her do it or she can watch us, but we can't do it together. We can do that currently on the Tablet, Laptop or Phone.

I still have all my old consoles going back to the original Orange & Black Sega master System. Sadly, on a modern Hi def TV they are visually beyond awful (when they work), as well as the fact that I wasn't a six year old female (more a 20 something male) when I started with Consoles, so the titles I do have are not going to take her interest.

5. burnx

burnx Well-Known Member

If you want something that allows you to participate with her, I strongly suggest board games. It is a lot more interactive and great fun :)

6. Ancient_One

Ancient_One Console Manager Captain

When the kids were younger we played on the Nintendo 64, Mario Kart, Mario Party to name but a few. We still dust them off for some gaming fun even now they are 19 and 21.

Both the kids have PS3 now. Plenty of games on that single and multi player. They are a little older now though.

Personally I would buy a Nintendo device for gaming with kids. Love the range of kid friendly games they have.

You could get a cheap Wii with controllers, games and the like cheaper these days.
    That would be my suggestion.

7. Chief

Chief Retired Captain

I'd go the Wii or Wii U, they definitely have the most to offer in terms of age appropriate games and the control schemes are generally nice and simple so kids have no trouble with them.

My nephew and I spent ages playing boom blox together when that first came out. He was around 6 or 7 then and had no trouble kicking my arse at it once he understood how it all worked.

8. Actreal

Actreal Getting Started

I can't wait until my girls are that little bit older and ready to share computer games with.

I have a Wii and agree with all the comments suggesting it has the most age-appropriate games (like Boom Blox). I brought it out last week for my 4 year old but her manual dexterity and arm strength aren't quite there yet, but 6 sounds like a good age.

The other thing I'm contemplating is getting one or two console controllers for my gaming PC. I have quite a few Lego and other age appropriate platformer-style games on Steam and like the OP I think a controller is going to be easier for small hands to work than a keyboard setup. I'd be interested to hear if anyone else has tried this already and hear how it went.

9. Brootal

Brootal Well-Known Member

Agree with the Wii/Wii u, Wii U is a bit short on games, but the Wii has a good selection of party games, by 8 or 9 you will probably be looking at a pc for her anyway. My youngest is 9, and the Wii hardly gets any play time now, but it was great from about 4 yo up.

10. Tachyon

Tachyon Well-Known Member

When we got the Wii a few years back my second youngest was 5/6 and he absolutely loved it! We played together on it all the time and still do occasionally. The sports games, Mario games and even the dance games which the kids and the wife do together while I laugh! Good times!!

11. Ancient_One

Ancient_One Console Manager Captain

As I said. Nintendo have always made good Family Consoles and Games. You can't go wrong with a Wii and it will be dirt cheap to get one with games and accessories.

12. PHRAETUS

PHRAETUS Active Member

Thanks for all your responses!

After a bit of research we bought a Wii U on the weekend, the basic one with the latest skylanders starter set. For $250 it was hard to pass up!
    The rather large controller with the screen is a little on the way too big side of enormous for small hands, so I grabbed a couple of Joypads too.

Must say I was impressed with the device, really simple to set up & get functioning. Skylanders was a hit, and while she struggled with the controller for a while (Jumping is always hard at first), after a while she was going great guns.

Pretty impressed with skylanders as a concept & a game. So wish I'd come up with it!!

13. Buttersoft

Buttersoft Well-Known Member

SNES FTW!

14. PHRAETUS

PHRAETUS Active Member

I do still have one of those!

15. xenoph

xenoph Retired Captain

I bought a N64 with about 30 games for my son for a fraction of the price a newish console would be.
    He's not had too much time on it yet, but he started trying a 3DS before he had turned 5. In addition I have an Xbox 360, and I bought Skylanders on that for him to play from time to time.

16. LinfordC

LinfordC Just Joined

I'd go with a previous gen handheld. Either a DS or a PSP can be bought for a decent price second hand. If it's for a kid, maybe go with the DS. Absolutely massive library of games to choose from!

17. Shazoo

Shazoo Getting Started

Great choice, any game system is GREAT for building strong motor skills with hand / eye coordination, and cognitive function with trying to figure out puzzles in games! You're a great parent. :)

18. Thymos

Thymos Retired Captain

Disney Infinity is cooler, it has Marvel.

19. Incise

Incise Active Member

I have 2 boys 7 and 4, we have both a wii and a xbox 360 and to be honest the both of them rarely go on the wii anymore. They used to play mario a lot, but now they just seem to play the Lego games, minecraft or Skylanders. Disney Infinity looks good for a young girl as you can get the Brave character version. So I would go for the xbox one or PS4 and use it to play the odd game yourself!